JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
After an absence of at least a year, I went out to English Pit today with some pistols and a rifle. Randy was manning the booth, and I found him to be very friendly and helpful. The range rules are common sense and easy to follow. My fellow shooters worked together to coordinate range hot and cold times, so there was no issues with safety. I enjoyed the experience and plan on going back :s0155:.

I was lucky enough to go yesterday.
Had lots of fun on the range and the rangemaster was nice and friendly but firm as far as the rules go.
I hadnt been there for at least 15 years.
Gotta work on everything to be more accurate though.
I plan on returning.

It's only couple blocks away from my house and i never been there.lol

One day they should upgrade look nice and clean. I viewed some video of their range, looks like jungle. lol

I've only been there once - was looking for a place to sight in my rifle for hunting about 2 years ago and needed a 100yd range I could stop in during lunch. It was a new experience for me, as growing up in ID, I was used to just heading down to the bottom of our property and setting up a target. I went on a Wednesday around noon, and there were a couple of other guys there doing the same. For being my first time at any "commercial" range, I left planning to come back again. Both the guy at the booth and the Range Officer were friendly. Having a spotting scope set up already (I don't own one) to use was a plus. At the time, I thought their selection of rests, etc, could use some improvement, but between the bags I had with me and the misc pieces of carpet-padded wood blocks I was able to get adjusted where I was comfortable on the bench.

I have more recently emailed back and forth with Randy on renting some guns to try out, and the conversations have been helpful and friendly. Compared to my conversations with other local ranges when contacting them regarding options and access, etc, I've had a better "feel" from Randy. I think they need to update/upgrade their website a bit, as some of the information (like the rentals) can't even be found by direct link.

I keep meaning to get back out there and spend a whole day burning powder in all my guns just to get some comfort back (it's been a long time since I've shot some of them). For me, they are just on the wrong end of the county for my "regular" business route (but are still closer than heading up onto Larch Mt).

I went there a few times several years back, and its a nice range but the guy working there (only one guy, grey haired, mustache) was a total jack-hole.

The last time I was there, I was on the rifle range and after barking some inaudible commands over the speaker, he stormed down to the line and began screaming at one of the shooters because he was handling a magazine while someone was down range.

Now I am all for discipline on the line, but I dont see the harm in loading mags while someone is downrange. It certainly wasnt posted anywhere or at any range I have ever been to since. But this dickhead came down and was yelling himself hoarse at this guy. I could see the shooter was shaky... either from being nervous, or from being angry... either way, I was uncomfortable there after the incident. I dont like shooting around hotheads and this dude was a grade-A prick.

I have not been back since... now I prefer to go into the woods, at least I can get in some hiking after I shoot and make a whole day of it.

Sounds like things have changed at the pit since then, hope so.

Since I live about a half mile from the English Pit range, I go there often. The answer about the rudness is pretty simple. You never know what you will recieve. Sometimes the people there are the friendliest and most helpful you will meet. Other times... well....

Keep in mind that it is an outside range. (Covered firing points) And is cheap. I believe it is open to anyone for $15.00 for all day.

It is mostly clean and cared for.

If you went once every two weeks, that would be $390 a year. Pretty high for yearly "dues." Long ago they had a yearly membership. They still need it.

I patterned my shotgun there, they didnt seem to mind.

I went there yesterday and it was PACKED!! Had a blast there me and 2 buddies went through about 600 rounds.

I went Saturday and had to wait and wait for a spot on the pistol range while the rifle ranges sat empty. I almost feel they should turn the shorter rifle range into a second pistol range.

Plus, I would love to see some money invested into some better targets. You cannot even get your targets to stay on the tattered one they have now.

I took five other buddies with me out there today. They had a blast four of them were first timers and they cant wait to go back. The range master let the rookies shoot his little 22 revolver before they stepped up to the grown up guns, very nice of him! He also gave them plenty of instruction and tips. I'll try to bring some more first timer's next time I head out.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top