JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Thanks for letting me know English Pit is open again! I went out this afternoon. Jeff/Tattoo :) was a nice guy at the booth and answered all my questions, and was brief but helpful.

Great little range. $15 for the day (includes two targets and they have hearing protection available), informal as long as you follow the safety rules. There were three other shooters on the rifle line and it went smooth with everyone cooperating on the hot/cold range calls.

l'd like to say it was a horrible place and nobody should go there (except me!), but it was great. They have one scope set up, a community stapler, lots of different rifle rests from carpeted wood blocks, Caldwell shot bags, steel rifle rests and even a Caldwell lead sled rest. I appreciate the daily rate and no annual fee REQUIRED.

Worth supporting to keep around!
that's a real change since the last time I was there! Guess I better load up and get out there. First I gotta check the website for the hours.

On edit: last time I was there was about '84 or so! Guess it's time for another visit. Gotta get my taxes out of the way first! Thanks to the withholding changes we ended up owing over $2,400!!

Yeah I've been here twice now in the last two weeks or so. Nice little range, close by my house. Jeff seems like a pretty cool guy. He didn't seem rude or abrasive at all to me. I'm thinking about coming out here every week to shoot. Although next time I'll try to go early. The last two times I went, I came there about 1.5 hours till closing. I admit I get pretty annoyed at people who do that at my work lol. Me and about 10 or so of my buddies are trying to all come out sometime. If any of you guys wanna join in post up in here.

I am just around the corner from this range. I have never had anything but positive experiences there.

Just around the corner:huh: You must work in P town and live in the couve then;) **** I am not more than 2 mins from them. We play baseball just down the street and here the semi auto from the police range all the time.

ZA they are right on 192nd if comeing from HWY14 and if in the couve they are off 18th also. 18th and 192nd join on a corner and the range is actually on 192nd right after the humane society if heading south. Real easy to find.

Just around the corner:huh: You must work in P town and live in the couve then;) **** I am not more than 2 mins from them. We play baseball just down the street and here the semi auto from the police range all the time.

ZA they are right on 192nd if comeing from HWY14 and if in the couve they are off 18th also. 18th and 192nd join on a corner and the range is actually on 192nd right after the humane society if heading south. Real easy to find.

We have two residences. The one in my name in PDX and the one in my partners name in Vancouver. We spend the majority of our time at the place in Vancouver.

Anyone know what happened to the steel plates on the pistol range? I was there last week and only 2 plates where on the stand. Reactionary target are so fun to shoot. It would be great to have more than just the 1 stand there.

I used to come to English Pit quite often. The exp then was so so. After they reopened, i had an oppotunity to come back last monday 4-26-10to zeroed in my AR15. Everything is still so so. Jeff was still short and snappy as usual. I met a few folks down the lines, they really made my day. i have learned not to pay any more attention to the gate-guy....Overall, I enjoyed my time there.

Yes i did drive 2.5hrs from Seattle, i have other choices i know.

I've been to the pit a few times with my son and a few friends as well. We did note the less than friendly greeter, but to be totally honest he was not especially rude to me personally. We were there early in the AM (in Jan) and it was FREEZING -- he must have been there hours before us. I'd be more grumpy than him! :) While hauling our gear down the (icy!) and muddy trail, one rifle put its "nose" in the dirt. The RO (older fella) was super helpful, and friendly -- came over with some CLP and a bore snake for us. Very nice.

We got "yelled" at over the PA system when JVR thought we were shooting across positions -- my son was actually using the scope on one rifle while I was shooting the other. My son ran up there real fast and explained what we were doing and had no problems.

I'd say, overall, these are really good guys, working hard to keep a public range open.

BTW, I do have a question: when going to the pit to shoot pistols, do you still walk down the trail to the booth or is there a separate check-in place for the pistol range?

Cheers,
DJM

I went to the English Pit for the first time today. I met three or four shooters there, and everyone was friendly. The guy in the booth was fine, too. One guy was sighting in a .300 win mag, another was shooting an AR. Still another fellow brought out an AK. I was the one shooting the Mosin Nagant and the Buckmark .22 pistol. I thought the place was excellent, and I will for sure come back again.

I remember back in 1996 when I move down to Vancouver, I didn't know the area at all so I asked a few folks where to go shooting. Oh, that's easy, one guy said, just go over to the English pit. So I took a drive over there with the b-inlaw to just check things out. Looked kind of interesting, until the guy running the place started yelling at people. I don't know who that guy was, I didn't stay long enough to find out his handle other than a** h***, but what a grouch! No one could do anything right. Kind or reminded me of Gunnery Sgt. Hartman.
Then the place was closed for several year, and I haven't been back since. Does the same guy run the place? If so, I'll run up to Stevenson and use that range. What a Nazi that guy was.

It's run by different people now. I never had a problem with the former guy, but I guess a lot of people did---he wasn't the friendliest guy in the universe.

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top