JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I have a number of ways to cook if the power goes out.

I have a woodstove for heating with a flat top. I have a multi-fuel lantern with a cook top (but no way to vent it to outside). I have a couple of backpacking stoves. I have a cast iron pot/etc. that I can use to cook over a fire. IIRC I have a Coleman multi-burner stove somewhere too.

But this looks like something I would get:

Featured Products

The one thing I have is plenty of firewood.

I have a number of ways to cook if the power goes out.

I have a woodstove for heating with a flat top. I have a multi-fuel lantern with a cook top (but no way to vent it to outside). I have a couple of backpacking stoves. I have a cast iron pot/etc. that I can use to cook over a fire. IIRC I have a Coleman multi-burner stove somewhere too.

But this looks like something I would get:

Featured Products

The one thing I have is plenty of firewood.

If you got the cash, it looks like a nice piece of gear to have around;)

If you can weld you can come up with tons of ideas for these. Heck check YouTube and see tons of ideas.
This one is one of the nicer looking ideas.
Now the only bad part ,unless you have lots of smaller fuel,is you would need to split you fire wood into kindling.
It's the small size of the wood that makes rocket stoves work. 2x2s is the largest you could use efficiently.
Otherwise they rock:D:rolleyes:

Yeah, pretty spendy for something you have to roll outside to cook with. I would rather use the $$ to buy a Vermont soapstone stove.

medtopleft_bread_pizza_steam.2.jpg

Vermont Wood Stove | VermontWoodStove.com

I will probably get something like that when I retire and build my next house.

I have a Volcano Stove that works well with either propane or wood fire. Too heavy for packing it anywhere, but great for vehicle bug outs, car camping, or for home when the power goes out.
I like it.

20160925_073334_resized.jpg

Yes, the grate is upside down. I pulled it out and assembled it in a hurry to snap a pic.

Cool idea, I wouldn't mind having one either - but for $5K, I don't see that happening.

For $5k you could buy a lot of propane, for me, probably last me the rest of my life!

A few machine screws and bolts, tin snips, an old 3-5 gallon metal can with lid and a length of stove pipe you can make a pretty skookum stove. We had one to heat he "passenger terminal" near my BIL's gold camp north of Nome, AK.

Brutus Out

And then where do you store that behemoth?
In that amount of space I can store a propane stove and two 10 gal bottles, along with a few pots and cooking utensils.

And then where do you store that behemoth?
In that amount of space I can store a propane stove and two 10 gal bottles, along with a few pots and cooking utensils.

I have a 2k SF shop which used to have a stove in it so there is even a place to put the exhaust flue.

But after thinking it over, there are better options for most people. Plus, my shop is 80 yards from my house, making it a bit inconvenient.

Interesting, but not worth it IMO for the benefit.

I think there is a no power needed gravity fed pellet stove about that would provide indoor heat (24/7 with proper hopper feeding), along with simple food heating (not cooking mind).

A pellet stove is hardly the best solution, but would be great in a limited SHTF, if you had a pallet of pellets properly stored.

Interesting, but not worth it IMO for the benefit.

I think there is a no power needed gravity fed pellet stove about that would provide indoor heat (24/7 with proper hopper feeding), along with simple food heating (not cooking mind).

A pellet stove is hardly the best solution, but would be great in a limited SHTF, if you had a pallet of pellets properly stored.

i thought pellet stoves needed fans

This is the stove I was thinking on:

<broken link removed>

Dealer:

<broken link removed>

Looks like there out of Grants Pass, so it'd be nice to support a local small manufacturer.

Just saw that they also have a water jacket available for the stove, so you could set up a hot water system that uses the stove. That'd probably need a small 12V pump, but someone really knowledgeable might be able to set up some type of gravity circulating system?

That's interesting.

Still, a person would need to stock up on a lot of pellets if they were to rely on it for more than a short term SHTF event.

The thing about a wood stove is that there is usually some tree around that a person can use for firewood. I have enough "scrap" trees (maple, alder) to last me for the rest of my life without touching the conifers which are "money trees" (I can and do sell them as timber).

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top