JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I think this is a tempest in a teapot as they really aren't doing much more than they were before.
It kind of differs in that you were not, typically, required to present state ID photo proof of age. From my experience, if you appear to be over 21 they don't even ask. Just "sign here please". When my children have received packages the courier usually justs asks, "are you over 21?"... then, "sign here please."

You are also being required to present your full ID for scanning and simply trusting that no other identity info is being read or stored. Top that off with... you're also trusting their employees to not take advantage of the opportunity to collect critical identity information for personal/private gain. Covert scanners and skimmers are real. đź‘Ť

Simply for their convenience, to me, is not sufficient reason to require customers to potentially compromise their personal information. It's in no way required for them to complete delivery.

The notice I read said they will scan your drivers license. You think the software will only select certain things and immediately delete everything else? That would be complete BS imo.
That's what they said. Doing more opens them up for liability and potential lawsuits. I'm not saying they won't, I'm just saying it is not in their best interests.

I'll show FedEX my damn I.D.

Untitled-2.jpg

I'll continue to buy from Sig. I'll continue to pay for Tax Stamps. I'll continue to buy and drink Black Rifle Coffee. And on, and on, and on…

I could care less

It just goes to show... as long as people are happy and willing to accept curtailing of their rights/freedoms, unwilling to take a stand against it or vote with their wallets to discourage it... they'll keep coming for more. :(

Hey it kinda looks like me too! I could care less what you think about how I spend my money or who I exchange business with. I don't get caught up in all the nonesense and fear mongering. It's hurts the community more than it advances it. Causing an even greater divide in the 2A community as well as in America.

Capitalism. You don't like it than take your business and your wallet elsewhere. It's really that simple. Complaining about it on the internet does absolutely nothing.

I would imagine they are scanning the QR code that contains all your data, not a visual scan and OCR'ing just your name. I could be wrong.
I'll let you know. I got a slide at Sig currently. I have to sign for it once it is shipped back to me via FedEx. My identity will be STOLEN and HARVESTED at that point! Oh my!

I'll let you know. I got a slide at Sig currently. I have to sign for it once it is shipped back to me via FedEx. My identity will be STOLEN and HARVESTED at that point! Oh my!
Flipping into dramatics does nothing to validate the point you're trying to make. You're not concerned about it, by all means, carry on as you wish. You absolutely have the freedom of choice, but bashing on folks and throwing out derogatory classifications on people that don't agree with you is what divides a community.

IMO, the purpose of a forum is to inform, stay up to date on current events and exchange ideas. Expressing a variety of opinions and having meaningful discussion is not what divides a community. It's the inability of people that refuse to accept anything other than their own thoughts and feelings as having any validity and debaseing others.

Flipping into dramatics does nothing to validate the point you're trying to make. You're not concerned about it, by all means, carry on as you wish. You absolutely have the freedom of choice, but bashing on folks and throwing out derogatory classifications on people that don't agree with you is what divides a community.

IMO, the purpose of a forum is to inform, stay up to date on current events and exchange ideas. Expressing a variety of opinions and having meaningful discussion is not what divides a community. It's the inability of people that refuse to accept anything other than their own thoughts and feelings as having any validity and debaseing others.
Bashing and derogatory…. Kinda like the photo you liked that was posted above (the one with guy who is bent over. Just in case you forgot.) Which was directed at me specifically. It's only bashing when it's not on your "side" or "opinion." A little bit like the political atmosphere in America. Haha.

At no point did I bash anyone. A statement said in sarcasm sure. But I never was hostile or cruel towards anyone specifically. I am sorry your feelings got hurt….

Are you requiring a safe space or crisis counseling do to sarcasm exposure? :rolleyes:

This seems like a perfectly legitimate requirement on Fedex's part. They have to reduce liability, and since a signature means practically nothing these days, scanning an ID makes sense.

I get the feeling that a lot of folks on this board are very resistant to any form of de-anonymization (sometimes for very good reason). Fedex has your name, address, phone number, and the source of your shipment. Most likely they only want to confirm that the recipient of the package is of legal age to accept it. Sure there is opportunity for abuse, but no more than handing over your license at a car dealer, or grocery store or your card at a restaurant.

This seems like a perfectly legitimate requirement on Fedex's part. They have to reduce liability, and since a signature means practically nothing these days, scanning an ID makes sense.

I get the feeling that a lot of folks on this board are very resistant to any form of de-anonymization (sometimes for very good reason). Fedex has your name, address, phone number, and the source of your shipment. Most likely they only want to confirm that the recipient of the package is of legal age to accept it. Sure there is opportunity for abuse, but no more than handing over your license at a car dealer, or grocery store or your card at a restaurant.
I have more worries in regards to all my paperwork from the VA being mailed to my house and possibly stolen. With my SSN on everything. FedEx taking a photo/scanning my ID is nothing to me. In fact I'm OK with it. At least I know I will be the one receiving what I ordered.

Fedex could verify age as they have been doing for decades without requiring a person from presenting all of their personal info for electronic scanning. A signature is a proven unique and legal means of proof. Just as it has always been. It's much easier to prove a person signed their name in their own hand vs some name on a screen that anyone could have put there, right?

A delivery driver can simply read the name off the package, enter it, then mark it as delivered right after he/she tosses your package in the trunk of their car. ;)

That's kind of beside the point though since fedex only requires proof of age and not identity.

I fail to see how scanning adds any additional "sure" proof of age than a visual verification... if deemed necessary.

I think the main difference between presenting a credit card to a vendor is that it contains limited information that is only seen by the card processor. That's a far cry different than presenting a document that openly contains vital information that can be used to steal your identity (which a CC can't). That type of information is far beyond the scope required for fedex to have access to.

When identity theft is so rampant these days, the more often you expose your vital info, the more likely it is to be exploited.

Fedex could verify age as they have been doing for decades without requiring a person from presenting all of their personal info for electronic scanning. A signature is a proven unique and legal means of proof. Just as it has always been. It's much easier to prove a person signed their name in their own hand vs some name on a screen that anyone could have put there, right?

A delivery driver can simply read the name off the package, enter it, then mark it as delivered right after he/she tosses your package in the trunk of their car. ;)

That's kind of beside the point though since fedex only requires proof of age and not identity.

I fail to see how scanning adds any additional "sure" proof of age than a visual verification... if deemed necessary.

I think the main difference between presenting a credit card to a vendor is that it contains limited information that is only seen by the card processor. That's a far cry different than presenting a document that openly contains vital information that can be used to steal your identity (which a CC can't). That type of information is far beyond the scope required for fedex to have access to.

When identity theft is so rampant these days, the more often you expose your vital info, the more likely it is to be exploited.
Visual verification? That requires attestation of the delivery driver which shifts liability onto them.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top