JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
thanks clam, its sad that a few bad apples have to ruin it for all... i grew up filling lop tags for tree farmers and our job was also to keep unauthorized people off the property as well, its unreal how many people think they can just walk on to your land with a rifle or bow and start blasting and then when you confront them they "know" the owner and it make for a bad standoff...the problem is the laws protect the trespassers.....we should be able to protect our private property..after all we are not communist even though our current pres thinks so lol

@ badclam
As soon as I started reading your first post,I looked to see if you lived down there.
I have heard that rant many times from folk living down your way.

The people up here would say the same thing,almost impossible to run off

As far as the gardens go,I have wondered if small ,fenced plots say 5X5 would do better.Too small for them to be comfortable in? Maybe use chicken wire to tangle their horns? Yeah I know it wouldn't bother the cows.

I only have deer, bear and an occational moose or big horn. I have found that if you keep your water trough full, and your grass cut and watered so it stays green, the wildlife kind of stay around especially in late summer, early fall, until there is too much snow. I have more damage done by pocket gophers than large rumnants,

Anyway, a fence that works for moose, I'm sure it will work for elk too, is called a Swedish moose fence or Chilcotin (BC) fence Panoramio - Photo of Example of Chilcotin fencing

The idea I am told is the slanted poles keep the moose from gaging the height so they can jump over it. crossed pole uprights with runners at an angle, bottom of one upright to the crossing of the next. Absolute height and run are not important, but the poles and runners should be of random lengths. It is this randomness that the moose have problem with.

Here is another drawing, gives you a clear idea of how a Chilcotin Fence is built. Distance between the uprights can be random, the length of the cross poles (actually all poles) should be random. Just keep the spacing tight enough so they don't think they can crawl through. The uprights don't have to be upright...etc...the idea is to project a tangle of small blowdowns that the moose (elk) does not want to get caught in. You can make it as asthetically pleasing (to you) or as random as you wish...random works best, and is asthetically pleasing (to me) as well as functional.

<broken link removed>

...well by all means also try to keep your dogs away from the elk!

Came home, no visible elk, no visible dogs. Peeked around the shrubs, and there they were, still in the elk. By this time, they had gnawed out some little portholes between some of the ribs, and you got the occasional very frightening glimpse of something moving around in there if you watched long enough.

Dogs In Elk

I only have deer, bear and an occational moose or big horn. I have found that if you keep your water trough full, and your grass cut and watered so it stays green, the wildlife kind of stay around especially in late summer, early fall, until there is too much snow. I have more damage done by pocket gophers than large rumnants,

Anyway, a fence that works for moose, I'm sure it will work for elk too, is called a Swedish moose fence or Chilcotin (BC) fence Panoramio - Photo of Example of Chilcotin fencing

The idea I am told is the slanted poles keep the moose from gaging the height so they can jump over it. crossed pole uprights with runners at an angle, bottom of one upright to the crossing of the next. Absolute height and run are not important, but the poles and runners should be of random lengths. It is this randomness that the moose have problem with.

This fence is a good idea.I've seen it tried here and in E. OR., but will not work with a herd of elk. Moose roam around as single animals or in small groups. Elk usually run in herds. The herd at my place now is about 60 head. What happens ,and I've seen it many places other than my own,is the heard comes to a fence. The elk in the front stop at the fence, the elk in the back of the herd,especially if spooked keep pushing until the elk in the front try to breech the fence. I've seen some really stout fences knocked down this way. I've also seen calves tangled in fencing because of it. It might work if you put that type of fence around your garden or some other small area,but it won't keep them off your property. I guarantee it.
I've been watching the local cranberry farmers try to keep the elk off their bogs my whole life. The only thing I've ever seen make a real difference is constant harassment.

As far as the "Dogs In Elk",
Give me a break. It's about responsible dog ownership. Just like responsible gun ownership. 99.99% of problems with dogs can be blamed on the owners. Feed and train your dog's or get a breed so small it can't hurt anything.

Well Clam, I have never seen this style fence used on Elk, but I know it is effective with Moose, Cattle, and horses. I think properly thought out and built, it should work for Elk too, though a spooked large group anything (think like Bison) can go through about anything.

In Sweden in ages past they used to run Moose off a cliff, just like the first nation peoples here in Canada and the US used to do with Bison, so yes, if you get them running, they may not recognize a danger they normally would avoid.

As I said, I believe the reason this fence works is the Moose see it as a tangle of blowdowns, which would not be a good place to be is they were trying to outrun Wolves. Now, does this work for Elk? don't know, but I do know from experience, it does work with cattle and horses (as well as Moose) Does a good job of keeping cattle and horses in, and at the same time keeping the Moose out.

As I said, I believe the reason this fence works is the Moose see it as a tangle of blowdowns, which would not be a good place to be is they were trying to outrun Wolves. Now, does this work for Elk? don't know, but I do know from experience, it does work with cattle and horses (as well as Moose) Does a good job of keeping cattle and horses in, and at the same time keeping the Moose out.

Well barbed wire will generally keep horses and cattle in or out, but have little to no effect on elk. I have no experience with moose. I live with elk everyday on my land. I grew up here where we have some of the highest elk per square mile populations in S.W. WA. I have legally killed an elk every year I have ever hunted them. I have an elk in Boone & Crockett. I hold the #14 spot in WA. State for muzzle loader Roosevelt Elk,292&7/8". I just got in from scouting geese and saw 2 different herds of elk across the river from my house. So I know more than the average person about their habits and behavior.
The only fence I've ever seen that worked for a large parcel of land is one F&W put up. It's 10' high field fencing with what looks like extra long RR ties for fence post. I don't think you could drive a truck through it. They put it up to protect some endangered critters from the elk of all things.
I think if you live in elk country you can keep them out of small area's like your garden with tricks mentioned here by you and others,but ultimately unless you kill large numbers of them, you have learn to live with them. Which is good and bad depending on what your doing.
It could be worse for sure. I don't have to worry about some crack head moving in next door to me,and if the SHTF, I've got plenty of food walking around my place.:s0155:

thanks for clarifying about the bad "felon" type bowhunters and others like me that do have respect... that being said use cougar piss you can get male and female cougar urine ...it will work for a while but after a while you prob are going to have to have a hunter come in and take out the herd bull or lead cow every year

Who would actaully collect this ........ and how?????

AN ACRE?? Thats like 215" square!!! I thought you were talking about some property. That's a garden spot in these parts. :s0114: No , I'm happy for you,really.
In Wa. State we are allowed to buy and posses real fireworks like roman candles. Hella fun to shoot at the elk. Works for about a day as I suspect bean bags would do. They would just learn to avoid you.

215 inches square. Doesn't hardly seem like an elk would fit on there. :s0155:
Sorry, the Land Surveyor in me couldn't help himself.

Hey badclam if you don't mind ill pm you about some info on archery elk in sw Washington I to am a big Roosevelt hunter and been wanting to get up that way, I have some spots down here as well I can turn you on to if your interested...I pulled a 397 6/8 net cascade rosey out in '04

Hey badclam if you don't mind ill pm you about some info on archery elk in sw Washington I to am a big Roosevelt hunter and been wanting to get up that way, I have some spots down here as well I can turn you on to if your interested...I pulled a 397 6/8 net cascade rosey out in '04

Sweet!!!That's a mother loving big elk!!! I was so excited to get into Boone & Crockett. You would be welcome here. You archery hunters that know your stuff have a definite advantage over the rest of us. You get to go first and you get them during the rut. Did I forget to say you get a lot more area's than we do? I'm actually jealous of guy's that are good archery hunters. Last time I tried it was about 15 years ago. I just am not a natural with a bow. I can always get on the animals, I do my homework and know my prey, I'm just not confident in my shot placement....PM me. Maybe we can share some info. I've got a friend with a big ranch out toward Spray just past Fossil. More deer there than anywhere I've ever been. And a few monster elk I helped pack out. Anyone who thinks we're off topic,we're talking about taking out the Herd Bull. Very good way to scatter the herd.:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top