JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
There's an elk herd that I'm told uses part of my(soon to be purchased) property and I want an effective - non lethal - way to keep them off my plants. My uncle used to use bird bangers for crows in his fields, but I really would prefer something like a plant they despise the taste or smell of.

Putting a high enough fence around the plot won't work. Damn that's expensive! Putting in some forage they like isn't out of the question. I've got enough space that I can put them out in the corner of the property.

Ok, Darkminstrel, I've determined that you must be a troll! Kind of like one of the Left-wingers talking gun control crap on this site!!!

Why would anyone else really want to keep elk off of their property?:s0002:

Actually I don't think you are a troll, but I certainly wish I had your problem.

I think that Mark W has a good idea.

Good luck. The darned things go through fences like the fence isn't there, and can totally
trash a yard or garden. Tasty---and you can probably get a landowners damage permit
to "thin the herd".

If you just want to keep them away from the buildings/yard/garden, get a dog. A loud
outside territorial dog.

Ok, Darkminstrel, I've determined that you must be a troll! Kind of like one of the Left-wingers talking gun control crap on this site!!!

Why would anyone else really want to keep elk off of their property?:s0002:

Actually I don't think you are a troll, but I certainly wish I had your problem.

I think that Mark W has a good idea.

Okay, I live in the woods and have no neighbors,and have a lot of elk that run my property. They are a total pain in the ***.
Imagine having a herd of wild cows coming down into your yard tearing up your lawn lawn with their hooves all the time. Then also imagine planting about $400 worth of fruit tree's,taking great care of them to one day come out and see them all chewed down to a point where they are dead. Then imagine trying to have a garden. A herd of elk can wipe out your garden in 1 night. Then imagine a bunch of *** munch archery hunters trespassing and sneaking around your property and threatening to stick your dogs when the dogs go after them like they're supposed to do. Nothing against you real archery hunter's,but the one's I get on my property seem to all be the,(can't have a gun FELON sort's). I hunt muzzle loader and my property isn't in a muzzle loader area so I give modern firearm hunters permission to hunt and help them every way possible to get their elk.
You can not keep the elk out if they want to be there without shooting lots of them,unless you have a bunch of dogs to run the property 24-7,but you can keep small area's clear with fences and Scarecrow sprinklers. they are motion activated sprinklers that scare the heck out of them. This is how we are able to have a garden and some fruit tree's. Planting alfalfa or whatever in one corner will only make it worse.
That's my 2 cents, from someone that has lived with elk everyday for years.

I have just given up on trying to keep them out. When we got this place 6 yrs ago I knew there were deer and elk, and we love them, love to watch, hunt them, and eat them. We have 28 acres that backs up to several thousand acres owned by a major timber company. So we thought with that kind of room we could have both, the lovely yard and the wild area. The elk don't care, in fact they rather prefer my well maintained yard and gardens over the wild grass and overgrown old apple trees. After trying most of the "retail" products and some unconventional ideas, the elk have won. I know longer plant a garden, just keep an acre or so mowed around the house and enjoy the country.

Badclam - just so you know I also get the ***hat archers that for some odd reason believe they do not need permission to be on private land, I've actually had them pull into my driveway and park on my yard to walk down MY atv trail, like it's some kind of public trail head. But I finally figured out how to stop them, because apparently "NO trespassing" signs are meaningless. I posted a sign that reads " Warning - Live Fire and Gun Range " and during archery season I make sure my trap thrower is setup and regularly use it directly over the path they were using. I started this about 3 seasons ago, and have NEVER had anyone come across there since. This also worked for the jackoff locals on there 2 strokes that thought that my property was a thoroughfare to the logging property behind me.

Last Edited:
j Badclam - just so you know I also get the ***hat archers that for some odd reason believe they do not need permission to be on private land said:
My signs say...DANGER...FIREARMS IN USE FOR SPORTING PURPOSES....FOR YOUR SAFETY, NO TRESPASSING. It only keeps out the honest people and county employees.

Sounds like jkent and I are going to be near neighbours. Current residents of the property say there's a roughly 20 head herd that use the crest of the hill at the back of the property to bugle from and when I was inspecting the grounds today I saw so much 'byproduct' I'm thinking of bagging and selling it as organic fertiliser!

My intent is to plant an acre, thus the start of this thread. I don't mind fencing a kitchen-garden sized plot but there is no way I'm going to be able to afford fences sturdy or high enough around a full acre.

Maybe I should pick up some beanbag rounds for the ole 12ga. Give them a shot in the arse.

My intent is to plant an acre, thus the start of this thread. I don't mind fencing a kitchen-garden sized plot but there is no way I'm going to be able to afford fences sturdy or high enough around a full acre.

Maybe I should pick up some beanbag rounds for the ole 12ga. Give them a shot in the arse.

AN ACRE?? Thats like 215" square!!! I thought you were talking about some property. That's a garden spot in these parts. :s0114: No , I'm happy for you,really.
In Wa. State we are allowed to buy and posses real fireworks like roman candles. Hella fun to shoot at the elk. Works for about a day as I suspect bean bags would do. They would just learn to avoid you.

Yeah, just the one. The other 20 are covered in firewood. No sense clear cutting since I have this very conveniently clear field that's very nearly level.

I'm sure that I might get the tag to put one of the 'locals' in the freezer, but I like the wildlife to stick around for the most part. I just don't want to go through the huge effort of cultivation only to have it torn to the ground by hungry critters. I'm already looking at having to thin a rather substantial rabbit population anyhow.

thanks for clarifying about the bad "felon" type bowhunters and others like me that do have respect... that being said use cougar piss you can get male and female cougar urine ...it will work for a while but after a while you prob are going to have to have a hunter come in and take out the herd bull or lead cow every year

Hey, don't get me wrong; I'm going to gladly put them in my freezer if I get the tags. I'd rather not decimate a herd that size just so I can grow some veggies is the issue. Great tip on the urine though. Might send the coyote clutch running too. Turns out there's a warren back in the far corner that a bubblegum uses to drop her litter every year.

A friend of mine has a brother that battles Deer , Elk and Bear ... During his growing season he has ornamental containers that he puts ammonia in, It really bothers those sensitive nose's, As long as the wind is Bi-Directional it seems to work for him ...

Elk are food opportunists and very stubborn, They will risk life and limb for good feed ...

I'm sure plenty of people on this forum will be happy to help thin the herd ...

One problem with dogs is if they are caught chasing wildlife they can get you in some hot water ...

Elk are food opportunists and very stubborn, They will risk life and limb for good feed ...

I'm sure plenty of people on this forum will be happy to help thin the herd ...

One problem with dogs is if they are caught chasing wildlife they can get you in some hot water ...

In Wa. State it is legal to use dogs to chase away any wildlife that interferes with your livestock or farming, ON YOUR LAND! You have the right to protect your crops and livestock from all wild animals that are not listed as endangered species. We use Anatolian Shepherds because they only chase what is perceived as a threat.They're a Turkish breed that is bred specifically for that purpose. That being said, if a bear,coyote, or raccoon is in your chicken pen you can kill it. On the other hand they really frown on shooting deer and elk without a tag. There is a process to get tags for deer and elk if they are damaging your crops. You have to show F&W the damage and they will assess the best way to stop it including special seasons and tags in your area to thin out the herds. I've not gone that far as I try to avoid any and all interaction with the state if possible.

Elkaholic79 My hats off to you and the other archery hunters that have have the skill to legally take game with a bow.
I was clear that the one's I have had problems with are not good people. The fact that felons can archery hunt,and that they are fully camoed out,and make no noise when they stick an animal,makes them think they can go anywhere and get away with anything. I have countered this the last 2 years by letting skilled local archery hunters hunt my land. they become very possessive of their right to hunt my property and chase off everyone else.

It's a give and take scenario. It's part of the cost of living in the country.The benefit's far out way living in town.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top