JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
>6KW diesel generator (light tower like you see at construction projects) and a manual transfer switch in the main panel
>Solar intertie with commercial power (My solar offsets my consumption over a full year, plus I have two, 15 Amp, 120V (180W) circuits that supply me directly)
>Gravity water from a spring
>Gravity septic system
>Wood heat (and an unrestricted supply of firewood) and we can cook on the wood stove
>Propane barbeque and lots of bottles

Our power goes out a least once a year, and stays out between several hours and many days. We are near the end of the line here, and very low priority when the grid has storm damage. We do just fine without commercial power for days or weeks.
You should bill them for the diesel your generator burns when the lights go out.

Its top-line conclusion: Fossil-fuel power plants are retiring much faster than renewable sources are getting developed, which could lead to energy "imbalances." That's a delicate way of saying that you can expect shortages and blackouts.

They failed to mention the closure of coal fired generation.
Business Insider is fairly factual but also liberal leaning, so no surprise there. By factual, it means what they use to support their views are mostly sound sources, but lacks any counterfactual details. On the other hand, they only source from places that confirm their bias.They also use word choices that heavily support their own bias while simultaneously attacking and downplaying the opposition viewpoint.

IYKYK.

Business Insider is fairly factual but also liberal leaning, so no surprise there. By factual, it means what they use to support their views are mostly sound sources, but lacks any counterfactual details. On the other hand, they only source from places that confirm their bias.They also use word choices that heavily support their own bias while simultaneously attacking and downplaying the opposition viewpoint.

IYKYK.
It really goes along with "gun crime in Portland is skyrocketing due to the availability of guns", but fails to mention the reduced policing or lack of prosecutions.

Similarly, "homeless crisis in Oregon" typically fails to mention that people homeless are moving to Oregon for legal drugs.

And yet no one is pushing for new construction to have 3 way solar panels on every roof. Ones that generate electricity, hot water and collect non potable water for toilet flushing.

And yet no one is pushing for new construction to have 3 way solar panels on every roof. Ones that generate electricity, hot water and collect non potable water for toilet flushing.
Doesn't exist yet. Solar water heating is different technology than photovoltaic.

IYKYK.
That is more or less NPR too. Factual, but often doesn't cover both sides, and bias sneaks in. I think they like to think they are unbiased, and they may be some of the least biased news sources, but what they leave out (and probably don't even consider) results in bias.

Just the same, I like listening to their news, especially when they have BBC on. They also have "Marketplace" which often has decent stock market and economic news.

That is more or less NPR too. Factual, but often doesn't cover both sides, and bias sneaks in. I think they like to think they are unbiased, and they may be some of the least biased news sources, but what they leave out (and probably don't even consider) results in bias.

Just the same, I like listening to their news, especially when they have BBC on. They also have "Marketplace" which often has decent stock market and economic news.
Not throwing shade to you for sourcing them, just letting others know what to expect. NPR is similar, but their bias is mostly based on story selection. We can blame their audience/donors for that.

Doesn't exist yet. Solar water heating is different technology than photovoltaic.
It is my belief that it could work but big power/water doesn't want it to happen. I was a pipefitter for an HVAC company and have been on roofs with all three systems at work, looked to me to be relatively easy to combine them together. My point being that I think it makes more sense and kills less Eagles than Wind.

Not throwing shade to you for sourcing them, just letting others know what to expect. NPR is similar, but their bias is mostly based on story selection. We can blame their audience/donors for that.
I suppose so. I only listen to their news which isn't broadcast very often. I don't listen to their programs which are mostly "human interest" or "cultural" (music, art, etc.).

It is my belief that it could work but big power/water doesn't want it to happen. I was a pipefitter for an HVAC company and have been on roofs with all three systems at work, looked to me to be relatively easy to combine them together. My point being that I think it makes more sense and kills less Eagles than Wind.
Photovoltaic is basically a computer chip, so it wouldn't heat water very well.

Photovoltaic is basically a computer chip, so it wouldn't heat water very well.
One of the by-products of Photovoltaic is heat so you could run the water pipes under the cells or simply have 2 seperate arrays. I'm not saying things would be 100% self suffent only that help is help. Even a 5% increase in water temp would mean that much less big power is used.

One of the by-products of Photovoltaic is heat so you could run the water pipes under the cells or simply have 2 seperate arrays. I'm not saying things would be 100% self suffent only that help is help. Even a 5% increase in water temp would mean that much less big power is used.
True. One of the required calculations for PV is rooftop temp, which is typically a minimum of 10F above ambient.

I think geothermal is probably better than solar when it comes to heating water and/or using it for heat, especially in the winter, more so in the PNW.

In the Willamette Valley, the ground is about 55 degrees F. year round about 10 feet down. Perfect for cooling in the Summer, and warm enough to heat when the air is below freezing.

I looked into this option over 10 years ago. The underground part of the system is ridiculously expensive, even if I dug the trench myself. I have an excavator, and plenty of open area with deep soil to put the trench. Something like a 25-year payoff.

Upcoming Events

Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews