JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
1673850216744.png

1673850247012.png

1673850382079.png

1673850416430.png

Aloha, Mark

Not all dams, of course. Just four that cause the region the most injury and produce a small fraction of the needed electricity. An amount that has been far surpassed in the past 20 years by other source.
this is true but we do need that electricity.
The argument that they do not provide much electricty is hollow
The four lower Snake River dams produce over 1,000 average megawatts of reliable, carbon-free energy. That's enough energy for over 800,000 average U.S. homes. It would cost $1.3 billion to $2.6 billion to breach the dams.
To me 800,000 homes is significant. also reliable carbon free- isn't that what everyone wants.

Also those 4 dams have fish ladders, upstream they do not have fish ladders. also flood control, and 1 more Item
In all, some 40 million tons of cargo move through the deep channel between the Pacific Ocean and Portland and Vancouver, and some 10 million tons move thorough 14-feet deep waters from Portland and Vancouver to Lewiston.Dec 8, 2010
this 10 million tons equates into 500,000 semi trucks hauling 40,000 lbs. If we are going to take out the dams we better get working on a new freeway from Lewiston to i-84 because the road that is there will not work.
If dam removal is necessary we have to have answers to above questions.

Doesn't seem smart to me to put all your eggs in one basket so you don't have the ability to cook or heat or turn the lights on or drive. Seems like a recipe for control so that they can turn you on and off anytime they want

this is true but we do need that electricity.
The argument that they do not provide much electricty is hollow
The four lower Snake River dams produce over 1,000 average megawatts of reliable, carbon-free energy. That's enough energy for over 800,000 average U.S. homes. It would cost $1.3 billion to $2.6 billion to breach the dams.
To me 800,000 homes is significant. also reliable carbon free- isn't that what everyone wants.

Also those 4 dams have fish ladders, upstream they do not have fish ladders. also flood control, and 1 more Item
In all, some 40 million tons of cargo move through the deep channel between the Pacific Ocean and Portland and Vancouver, and some 10 million tons move thorough 14-feet deep waters from Portland and Vancouver to Lewiston.Dec 8, 2010
this 10 million tons equates into 500,000 semi trucks hauling 40,000 lbs. If we are going to take out the dams we better get working on a new freeway from Lewiston to i-84 because the road that is there will not work.
If dam removal is necessary we have to have answers to above questions.
Not just flood control (which is a huge issue - all the damage floods cause) and navigation and power, but also irrigation. In my 4 years in the USCG, I've been on almost every inch of the Columbia, from China Flats to the ocean, well up the Snake and the Spokane. Been on/near many rivers with my father (who was a Oregon Watermaster) during floods/etc.

A LOT of farmers depend on rivers and dams for irrigation water to grow food for us to eat.

Not just flood control (which is a huge issue - all the damage floods cause) and navigation and power, but also irrigation. In my 4 years in the USCG, I've been on almost every inch of the Columbia, from China Flats to the ocean, well up the Snake and the Spokane. Been on/near many rivers with my father (who was a Oregon Watermaster) during floods/etc.

A LOT of farmers depend on rivers and dams for irrigation water to grow food for us to eat.
sorry, I left out irrigation

Doesn't seem smart to me to put all your eggs in one basket so you don't have the ability to cook or heat or turn the lights on or drive. Seems like a recipe for control so that they can turn you on and off anytime they want
Too many Carbon Producers walking the earth. WEC said it out loud and then they all clapped.

1. The majority of that eastern WA wheat is destined for export, not for "us to eat"
2. Farmers can be kept whole by extending irrigation pumps to the new, lower river level. All this is old stuff explored like 20 years ago and totally feasible.

* And let me add, the lower four Snake River dams that the focus is on, are largely run-of-the-river dams and do almost nothing for flood control. It's really a non-issue.

1. The majority of that eastern WA wheat is destined for export, not for "us to eat"
2. Farmers can be kept whole by extending irrigation pumps to the new, lower river level. All this is old stuff explored like 20 years ago and totally feasible.

* And let me add, the lower four Snake River dams that the focus is on, are largely run-of-the-river dams and do almost nothing for flood control. It's really a non-issue.
You missed the electricity. BPA is under contract to sell to Ca. Take away that electricity and we probably are having blackouts. They are modern dams, built in my lifetime. They are the 4 dams on the Snake with fish ladders, why not retrofit upstream dams with ladders. The 2 billion to remove dams does not include fixing roads for more truck traffic to replace the barges. 60% of the power in Washington state comes from Hydro. less than 10 from solar and wind.
See I think long term plan is to get rid of snake river dams and then move upstream and go after ladderless dams.
The wheat- Does it matter where wheat goes, look at all the farmers that will be less competitive. Irrigation will cost more transportation will cost more. No matter where the wheat goes in increases the States GNP. makes for more taxes.
And the pollution from 500,000 more Semi trips from Lewiston to Portland. And please do not say they will be electric trucks unless you show where the electricity for those 800,000 homes is coming from the add for the semi trips.
It will Increase our electricity costs . Despite all the noise, fish numbers are going up. Maybe start with other options on table..

The whole commerce system is upside down " The average city commerce plan" We welcome more population, housing, infrastructure, because more people means more tax dollars., but more people means more energy use and consumption of resources At what point in world history will we need to realize population control isn't a bad thing

The whole commerce system is upside down " The average city commerce plan" We welcome more population, housing, infrastructure, because more people means more tax dollars., but more people means more energy use and consumption of resources At what point in world history will we need to realize population control isn't a bad thing
I agree, But no one is offering to jump off cliff and millions are flooding across southern border, none of which has anything to do with Snake river dams.

All of this crippling of our energy production, at the same time pushing for world war. Imagine if we needed to ramp up manufacturing? Wind turbines and solar panels won't manufacture tanks, they can't power jets. It's almost like we are being set up to fail

Back in the 70's the transmission system was held for ransom. Somebody blew up a couple towers. Said there would be more if they were not paid. I do not remember but think they caught the guy. So this has happened before.
As far as transformers blowing up, when we had ice storm in 1996, it "blew up" a lot of transformers in substations. So bright it lit up the night sky for a minute or so. Happened all over Spokane metro and surrounding area. Damage was pretty much contained to substation area from the meltdown. Some were out of power for over a month. We were down for 2 weeks.

>6KW diesel generator (light tower like you see at construction projects) and a manual transfer switch in the main panel
>Solar intertie with commercial power (My solar offsets my consumption over a full year, plus I have two, 15 Amp, 120V (180W) circuits that supply me directly)
>Gravity water from a spring
>Gravity septic system
>Wood heat (and an unrestricted supply of firewood) and we can cook on the wood stove
>Propane barbeque and lots of bottles

Our power goes out a least once a year, and stays out between several hours and many days. We are near the end of the line here, and very low priority when the grid has storm damage. We do just fine without commercial power for days or weeks.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top