JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Reloading anything these days is going to be less economical than it has been. What are your tips and tricks to reload 223 plinking rounds for the least amount of money based on cost of aquiring components in today's markets.

Rounds will be used in non-semi rifles and pistols with 1:7, 1:8 and 1:9 twist rifles. Barrel lengths from 10.5 to 20 inches.
Maxiumum range 300yds. Would like capability of 4 MOA or better in all three twist rates.

Edit: I am thinking about buying some IMR 4198 since 223 loads typically use about 20% less powder compared to more popular 223 powders. Also I could use the IMR4198 powder in 7.62x39, 6.8 SPC and 300BO.

Last Edited:
You can't get brass cheaper than picking it up off of the ground. Pulled 55gr FMJ's are about as cheap as you can get unless you want to form the jackets from .22 cases and swage in your own cores. Powder and primers are what they are so all you can do is look for the "'best" deals there.

Get yourself some cheap 55gr pills, pick up some .223 brass for free off the range and grab a can of H335.

I know you've already got primers so there you go!

You're right about the economy of IMR 4198. However, it doesn't dispense as easily as any ball powder would. Especially with the relatively narrow neck of the .223. Even trickling one at a time. But I like it, I have some on hand here.

Strangely enough, last week when I was looking online at available powders (can't remember if it was Powder Valley or Midway), the ONLY IMR powder available was 4198.

You're right about the economy of IMR 4198. However, it doesn't dispense as easily as any ball powder would. Especially with the relatively narrow neck of the .223. Even trickling one at a time. But I like it, I have some on hand here.

Strangely enough, last week when I was looking online at available powders (can't remember if it was Powder Valley or Midway), the ONLY IMR powder available was 4198.
Brownells has some IMR 3031.

I went ahead and ordered some IMR3031 which can be used in a wide range of cartridges. I also ordered some Ramshot Enforcer and Accurate 1680 which should cover the 300BO, 7.62x39, 450BM, 350 Legend, etc.

I went ahead and ordered some IMR3031
It's a good choice, one of the oldest in the IMR line-up and has lots of applicability. Okay for .223, yet it may be used in .30-06 for M1 Rifle. IIRC, it's the fastest IMR number recommended for M1 Rifle.

But then again, Olin 748 and Hodgdon BL-C(2) are versatile enough that I can use them in .223, .308 and .30-06.

It's a good choice, one of the oldest in the IMR line-up and has lots of applicability. Okay for .223, yet it may be used in .30-06 for M1 Rifle. IIRC, it's the fastest IMR number recommended for M1 Rifle.

But then again, Olin 748 and Hodgdon BL-C(2) are versatile enough that I can use them in .223, .308 and .30-06.
It was listed under a lot of different cartridges in the cast bullet book so it should be a great addition to my collection.

It was listed under a lot of different cartridges in the cast bullet book so it should be a great addition to my collection.
The reason it has so many references may be because it's been around so long. Lots of loadings listed in Phil Sharpe's Complete Guide to Handloading, published in 1937.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top