JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I bought boxes and boxes (and boxes) of Thunderbolts back when Michelle Obama was the POTUS, (that's right, Michelle!) and have never had an issue with them.

Several months back me and @Joe13 competed in a teams "wood shoot" where you shoot through a 1x2, and we beat half the competition (most were using spendy race-guns) with me just using my plain-Jane "straight from the box" G44 and Joe using his Ruger Mk-II (or III). I think I had maybe 2-3 FTF out of the several hundred rounds that I fired that day.

But that was not current production ammo.
Ive never had any issues with Thunderbolts, and always ran them in everything I own before, in fact, my Savage bolt guns preferred them, always shooting one ragged hole at 50 yards. This last box was indeed a new box bought from Bimart a couple of weeks ago that is giving me all these problems. I think I am going to grab an older box from the back of my safe, and give it a try. Maybe this current box is just a bad batch.

Seems a lot of people don't like blazers too. I had a contender with a 10in match grade barrel and a 6 power scope. Would shoot a inch at 100 yards using my tailgate as a rest. Every once in a while I would get a pop and I could see the bullet make it 25 yards but it didn't stop me from shooting thousands of them

Seems a lot of people don't like blazers too. I had a contender with a 10in match grade barrel and a 6 power scope. Would shoot a inch at 100 yards using my tailgate as a rest. Every once in a while I would get a pop and I could see the bullet make it 25 yards but it didn't stop me from shooting thousands of them
I used to shoot those. About equivalent to American eagle for me at the time. Funny they are the only ammo I saw a huge difference as it aged. I used some old boxes and it was as bad as thunderbolt. Pop, fizz, dud. I was really surprised. And they were in the main brick box not little boxes rattling around all over. Must have been the powder they used at that particular time didn't age well -it was many years ago.

Don't remember if they were, "Thunderbolts" or not. They just said "New and Improved". :rolleyes:
Hardly even, "Beer Can" accuracy at 50 yards. one even went pop, instead of bang.

The most expensive, CCI Stingers
and the cheapest, ArmScor 36gr. HP. :)
@ 50 yards w/ AR15 DPMS Bull Barrel Upper.

CCIStinger22rimfire.jpg 22rimfire.jpg

Last Edited:
You think Remington Thunderbolts are bad, try Remington Golden Bullets. Those are the worst I've ever had.

I stick to CCI.
I do too, its LONG been my goto. In times when .22 ammo was super hard to find I have of course tried others. The Rem Gold stuff in 100 round boxes always seemed fine but what looked like the same ammo when in bulk for some reason always was not nearly as good. Never sure why.

Never had a CCI misfire.

I bought a bucket of the junk stuff once and the only thing they would cycle in was a lever gun.

Duds more often than not.

Picky Ruger MK3 very rarely fails to fire Federal champions but I haven't bought any in a long time to compare.

Same here; I used to love the square plastic 100rnd boxes of "Golden Bullets" when I was young, back in the '80s and '90s. The newer bulk stuff has been less than stellar, generally. It seems like I've had good and bad with a number of types, though.

I heard some good things about Aguila .22 ammo, so I bought several bricks of it when I could a couple years ago. Must have gotten bad ones, because my reliable old Ruger Standard became a jam-o-matic with them. I bought some Federal 800rnd packs at BiMart that were so bad the occasional bullet bounced off the target at ten yards. I quit shooting them when one lodged in the barrel. I contacted Federal and they sent me a shipping label to return them, and two replacement boxes of identical ammo that shoots great.

I have my grandfather's old Mossberg .22 rifle that he used to hunt jackrabbits with back in the '50s. It's a bit finicky, especially with bulk ammo. I picked up a couple bricks of Mini-Mag 40gr solids for $40/500, and they work perfectly in it. It's been nice to see .22 LR available for a nickel lately, and 8c for Mini-Mags seems fair.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top