JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
So I went today with a fresh 525 brick of thunder bolts and keltec p17 22 pistol for testing purposes...well I kept having issues with under powder charged rounds and afew over powder charged rounds has anyone else experienced these issues with a new batch of thunderbolts???

Can't say I have with new Thunder Bolts....Since I haven't bought any in forever.
Even during the .22 ammo shortage...I would have rather done without...then shame my .22's in trying to shoot Thunder Bolts.
Never had any luck with 'em
No over powered rounds....but plenty of under charged , failure to fire...or hang fire rounds.
Andy

So I went today with a fresh 525 brick of thunder bolts and keltec p17 22 pistol for testing purposes...well I kept having issues with under powder charged rounds and afew over powder charged rounds has anyone else experienced these issues with a new batch of thunderbolts???
I gave up on them back when they were made with dog doo doo. By far the worst rounds I've ever used. But then some here said they got better. I don't know have never tried any of the newer ones. I remember going into sportsman's during one of the .22 shortages and asked about 22 ammo. She said "the only thing we have are thunderbolts". I said I'm not that desperate, no thanks! The ones I used were huge percentage of duds, horribly inconsistent, and dirty as shiete.

I gave up on them back when they were made with dog doo doo. By far the worst rounds I've ever used. But then some here said they got better. I don't know have never tried any of the newer ones. I remember going into sportsman's during one of the .22 shortages and asked about 22 ammo. She said "the only thing we have are thunderbolts". I said I'm not that desperate, no thanks! The ones I used were huge percentage of duds, horribly inconsistent, and dirty as shiete.
I started shooting a Remington Bucket O' Bullets I bought during the shortage. I call it a bucket of garbage.
Very noticeable underpowered rounds. Plus I had to check for squibs often. I got my first ever squib!!
Yes they are also very filthy. Should I bury the rest of them?
1701678564881.png

Lots of badmouthing Thunderbolt here & there.

However, Thunderbolts are my go-to round for my M9/22 with optic.
The optic changes the slide weight just enough so that most any other ammo FTF's & FTE's.
I tried many brands of ammo.
The Thunderbolts work next to flawless for me. Maby one failure per brick.
I have put over 7,000 down the pipe!
I also have two custom 10/22's - Thunderbolts work great in them!
Besides being reliable, Thunderbolts are also accurate!
thumbnail_20231204_020536.jpg thumbnail_20231204_020457.jpg thumbnail_20231204_023304.jpg

Last Edited:
I've always had good luck with Thunderbolts, seemed to cycle in all my semis, and were very accurate in my bolt guns. However, with the last box I opened, I couldn't get through a single magazine without numerous severely undercharged rounds that actually made me check for squibs, as it didn't even hit my steel target 10 yards away. This last box would not go a full 10 rounds without a couple that would not cycle, so I put it in my range bag, shot it out of my bolt gun, and it looked like a shotgun spray instead of any kind of group. I thought it was just this box, but maybe there is something to it? Will grab a different one to try, as I have lots.

Last Edited:
Thunderbolts have been better performing for me than federal automatch post Wuhan flu. The last 10 bricks or so I've bought have been perfectly acceptable; a couple duds here and there but not too bad at all. Automatch though... Incredibly inconsistent from round to round.

Lots of badmouthing Thunderbolt here & there.

However, Thunderbolts are my go-to round for my M9/22 with optic.
The optic changes the slide weight just enough so that most any other ammo FTF's & FTE's.
I tried many brands of ammo.
The Thunderbolts work next to flawless for me. Maby one failure per brick.
I have put over 7,000 down the pipe!
I also have two custom 10/22's - Thunderbolts work great in them!
Besides being reliable, Thunderbolts are also accurate!
View attachment 1774903 View attachment 1774904 View attachment 1774905

I've always had good luck with Thunderbolts, seemed to cycle in all my semis, and were very accurate in my bolt guns. However, with the last box I opened, I couldn't get through a single magazine without numerous severely undercharged rounds that actually made me check for squibs, as it didn't even hit my steel target 10 yards away. This last box would not go a full 10 rounds without a couple that would not cycle, so I put it in my range bag, shot it out of my bolt gun, and it looked like a shotgun spray instead of any kind of pattern. I thought it was just this box, but maybe there is something to it? Will grab a different one to try, as I have lots.

I bought boxes and boxes (and boxes) of Thunderbolts back when Michelle Obama was the POTUS, (that's right, Michelle!) and have never had an issue with them.

Several months back me and @Joe13 competed in a teams "wood shoot" where you shoot through a 1x2, and we beat half the competition (most were using spendy race-guns) with me just using my plain-Jane "straight from the box" G44 and Joe using his Ruger Mk-II (or III). I think I had maybe 2-3 FTF out of the several hundred rounds that I fired that day.

But that was not current production ammo.

Last Edited:
Using a micrometer, the Thunder duds are undersize. They leave a lot of lead fouling in my barrels. After a few duds I pulled the bullets to find the priming compound did not go all the way around the rim. This leaves a lot of unburned and partially burned powder in the action.
I bought a case during the shortage. I will probably never use these, and they are so bad I would not even give them away. I just put them up for the next great shortage . DR

Recently, Remington Thunderbolt failed to feed issues the first time I used them on two guns. One is TX22 and AR22. Two out of two fails. Never buy again.

Folks repeat what they hear. I trust Thunderbolt's, Blazer, etc., as much as I do CCI, Federal, etc.

I have experienced and witnessed some guns actually preferring Thunderbolt's.

I can't dispute folks having difficulties with these or other cartridges. It is what it is.

I have had bad rounds, and bad batches of every rimfire cartridge available. And our beloved Mini Mags have become... mediocre.

Your mileage may very well vary.:)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads