JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
No need to purchase.....when you can grow your own.

1664419732499.png

WAIT, Wait, wait.....I don't think he meant that "Green stuff".

Aloha, Mark

PS.......my father had a small garden in the yard. He kept us well fed on his homegrown veggies. He even managed to give away his surplus to the neighbors and relatives.

Yeah.....I sometimes wonder why the Govt is so intent on giving away Food Stamps.

Awwwww......come on man. Planting, weeding, watering, etc.... That's WORK!

Last Edited:
No need to purchase.....when you can grow your own.

View attachment 1283932

WAIT, Wait, wait.....I don't think he meant that "Green stuff".

Aloha, Mark

PS.......my father had a small garden in the yard. He kept us well fed on his homegrown veggies. He even managed to give away his surplus.

Yeah.....I sometimes wonder why the Govt is so intent on giving away Food Stamps.

Awwwww......come on man. Planting, weeding, watering, etc.... That's WORK!
There are lots of discount racks for bakery and other items and I often see random products marked down at grocery stores. I rarely see produce marked down though. Freddys occasionally has marked down container veggies but not loose produce. Winco seems especially stingy with marked down food items. I am not sure they even have a discount rack.

Hummm......

Ever tried the "Sunday Farmer's Markets"?
That is.....if they are still a thing.

Aloha, Mark

PS.....I sometimes find some "discounted" veggies at Pacific Market in Portland. But, it's mostly limited to "ugly/old" veggies. They are usually found at the checkout stand. The cashiers are frequently "pushing" to sell them off.

Last Edited:
RE : Post #42
Discounted Rack

The WinCo near me still has a dented can(s), crushed boxes, etc.....discounted rack.

And, so does Safeway.

Aloha, Mark

PS......BTW, good call about the discounted "bakery items". I can remember when I was younger......my parents would frequently take the family to the bread outlet store (next to the factory). The old raisin bread was a special treat for us.

I still have this dehydrated food from 2008, it probably won't have much nutrition but could add some color to dishes I make in November. The wife either forgot about it or gave up on nagging me to get rid of it.

lots of fish, tilapia, rockfish, canned tuna + rice. Eggs and ramen.
I don't know what you do for a living but do you need 2K calories a day ? As someone posted earlier, intermittent fasting will help with weight loss, skip dinner now and then. Don't confuse actual hunger with boredom eating.

You know anyone with a Costco membership ? Great if you have space to store stuff. Tuna is about 42-60c a can, Eggs are 20c each. Big boxes of ramen and bags of rice and hot sauce, canned beans.

As for what you're trying to prove, and speaking as an immigrant who was poor for some while, try shopping with no car and where the only stores selling food are the corner stores and gas stations within however far you're willing/able to walk each day- see how far your $3 goes..

Last Edited:
Well, there go your weight loss gains. FLOOOOSH right down the toilet. I mean, good luck and all but dang, what a waste.
Even if the weight all comes back, it wasn't a total waste. My high protein (mostly animal products) diet over the last year has resulted in the deaths of hundreds of animals. That means the meat packers, fisherman, butchers, etc all had more employment thanks to me ditching carbs for a year. That is an accomplishment I can hold on to.

Calories are meaningless if you don't know the nutrition. Eating 10k calories of sugar will leave you feeling hungry. The right balance (fat, starch protein) of nutrient dense food will leave you feeling really good, full and lose weight. Which mostly means cook unprocessed foods, eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies that are high in nutrients.

Calories are meaningless if you don't know the nutrition. Eating 10k calories of sugar will leave you feeling hungry. The right balance (fat, starch protein) of nutrient dense food will leave you feeling really good, full and lose weight. Which mostly means cook unprocessed foods, eat lots of fresh fruit and veggies that are high in nutrients.
Under normal circumstances a well rounded diet is great but in a survival (financial or otherwise) situation your body ultimately burns calories for energy not vitamins. A person can go a lot longer without meeting 100% RDA of vitamins than it can without calories (assuming they are thin). I am not trying to eat a healthfood diet on $3 a day. That would be very difficult and I imagine as unenjoyable as my diet has been for most of the last year. I have suffered through countless bags of spinach over the last year. My body can afford to take a month off from veggies.

I added 3lbs of thick cut peppered bacon at a cost of $6 today. At 1870 calories for the 3lbs that is double the price I wanted to pay per calorie but it will go a long ways towards flavoring meals and providing fat.

20220929_094658.jpg

Hint.

Check out......
One a Day (Vitamin) or any of the other various brands. It'll help, to ensure that you don't lack your daily intake of necessary Vitamins while you're on your diet.

At least.......I think that it helps.

NOPE.....I'm NOT a doctor. Nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Aloha, Mark

Hint.

Check out......
One a Day (Vitamin) or any of the other various brands. It'll help, to ensure that you don't lack your daily intake of necessary Vitamins while you're on your diet.

At least.......I think that it helps.

NOPE.....I'm NOT a doctor. Nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Aloha, Mark
I will take my multi everyday. I am curious as to which vitamins the vitamin police think I am going come up short on and what quantity of which vegetable they would like to see me add to the diet to reduce that particular deficiency. The advice comes across as eat your veggies or you'll get sick or die. I could more specifically target an expected deficiency with the dresser top full of vitamin bottles I have if they can point to a specific deficiency that is likely to occur.

I can tell you this $3 a day diet is going to be much healtier than the crap I have been eating and drinking most of my adult life. I expect to put weight back on when I go from 1200ish to 2000ish calories a day. Other than that I have no expectations of negative health impacts. Hopefully shifting from eating mostly protein to more carbs will boost my energy and mood.

RE : Diet and Diet Fads

All I know is that way back when (the mid 70s)......I actually read a book and followed the diet (for a while).

Dr Adkins Diet

It's about eating low (to no) carbs and more meat.

1664476450646.png
Anyway.....sure enough, I got Gout. Yes, the book warned about that possibility. Believe me.....Gout is BAD (should you get it). And today, I take a daily med to hopefully prevent a flare-up. But....yeah....sometimes I'll get it anyway.

Aloha, Mark

RE : Diet and Diet Fads

All I know is that way back when (the mid 70s)......I actually read a book and followed the diet (for a while).

Dr Adkins Diet

It's about eating low (to no) carbs and more meat.
Perhaps......possibly like: Paleo?

View attachment 1284126
Anyway.....sure enough, I got Gout. Yes, the book warned about that possibility. Believe me.....Gout is BAD (should you get it). And today, I take a daily med to hopefully prevent a flare-up. But....yeah....sometimes I'll get it anyway.

Aloha, Mark
I have worried about that on my low carb, very high protein diet but luckily I have avoided it so far. I drink lots and lots of water and caffeine. I am constantly peeing.

Edit: I am getting tired of spending 4 times as much money for low carb tortillas and only getting half the calories.

RE : Constantly peeing

Currently, I'm dealing with an enlarged prostate. I suspect that it's mostly because of my age. My doctor says that most men will have a problem as they age.

Reminder: The PSA Test. Look into it, if you're getting up there in age.

Yup.....constantly waking up at night to use the bathroom is no fun either. And nowadays, I don't exactly look forward to long road trips anymore. LOL.....yes, I've gotten to the point of having "a bottle".

Aloha, Mark

RE : Constantly peeing

Currently, I'm dealing with an enlarged prostate. I suspect that it's mostly because of my age. My doctor says that most men will have a problem as they age.

Reminder: The PSA Test. Look into it, if you're getting up there in age.

Yup.....constantly waking up at night to use the bathroom is no fun either. And nowadays, I don't exactly look forward to long road trips anymore. LOL.....yes, I've gotten to the point of having "a bottle".

Aloha, Mark
I had mine checked during my low testosterone check ups. It was fine so far. My dad has late stage prostate cancer and it's eventually going to do him in. It has already spread to other areas of his body.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top