JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Winco was $6 for same size jug of peanut butter, Safeway has the bacon on sale for $1.97 a lb which is stupid cheap and you won't find it for less anywhere I know of.
Bet it was the cheap see-thru Bar-S bacon, sure you'll find deals here and there but as a general rule of thumb they are more expensive and if the goal is to save coin, burning gas at $5 per gallon jumping between stores kind of defeats the purpose.

Bet it was the cheap see-thru Bar-S bacon, sure you'll find deals here and there but as a general rule of thumb they are more expensive and if the goal is to save coin, burning gas at $5 per gallon jumping between stores kind of defeats the purpose.
I can hit most stores on my way home from work without going out of my way. The one Grocery outlet was a little out of the way but worth it today. The bacon is the Safeway Select brand and is good bacon. We get the pepper one most often.

Fastest way for me personally was to not own a car, be single, and not have internet at home, and be limited to roughly $750/ month on which to spend for rent and foods and supplies in a HUD Sec 8 apartment 😅 🙃 😳 that left me with roughly $150 a month for food, $100-200 a month for phone bills and other bills, the remainder to HUD sec 8 rent. Had a decent bicycle at that time, and since I didn't have internet at home, went to the library most days of the week. Cycled all over town for internet, food, and so forth. Got down from 325 pounds at heaviest to 260ish.. then I got a car, then a girlfriend, then we got engaged, she moved in with me, and we got internet at home.. and she liked good food. Now I'm right around 300 again but craving bicycle trips and being outdoors so doing that when I have the time to myself.

I have joined the gym again but currently sticking with cardio. Once November arrives I will begin strength training again. I have lost a lot of strength and probably muscle mass from the weight loss dieting. That is fine for scale purposes but not so good for everything else. Carbing up may give me back the energy I need to start lifting again. Even with the junk food I will get enough protein to support muscle synthesis. It's only a month of junk and then I will work on creating a healthier sustainable diet regime.

BTW, if you trying to lose weight and have not eliminated all alcohol, you're doing it wrong.
^. This, without reservation.

As to the original question, eh, trying to lose weight, stay healthy, and keeping to a very minimal budget? Possible, but not easy. I'd start by cutting out any and all garbage food, drop kicking alcohol completely, and taking a look at portions, preparation, et al. (At the end of the day, however, if it starts impacting physical and mental performance, well, that's false economy.)

Good luck.

^. This, without reservation.

As to the original question, eh, trying to lose weight, stay healthy, and keeping to a very minimal budget? Possible, but not easy. I'd start by cutting out any and all garbage food, drop kicking alcohol completely, and taking a look at portions, preparation, et al. (At the end of the day, however, if it starts impacting physical and mental performance, well, that's false economy.)

Good luck.
Part of my motivation to eat on $3 a day is to demonstrate that hunger shouldn't be an issue and that people, especially lower income people are wasteful. Junk is junk but if I can eat for a whole day for less than what somebody drops for a mocha (also junk food) at dutch bros, people shouldn't be needing a bunch of government assistance. We have some of the highest inflation I have ever seen but food is still cheap if you shop smart. I will reserve some of my budget and see if I can find any value veggies but it is really difficult to justify buying grocery store produce when you are on a survival level budget.

Oh man... You mean now I'm supposed to start spending extra for meals in November? :s0153: Does that include the hot/HP/soy sauce, herbs and spices?

Anyhoo, I'm always willing to meet a challenge, so I guess I can start adding extra beef in the stew, extra chicken in the soup and extra pork in the fajitas, make extra Yorkshire pudding and gravy with the roast beast, extra sour cream and skwarka with the perogies, extra mushrooms in the spaghetti sauce.

(I guess you've figured out that we eat like poor Ukrainians, poor Irish, poor Mexicans, poor Jews, poor Italians around here :) )

Knowing who is responsible for the high inflation numbers we are currently seeing.....
well sorry.......but I'm trying to exercise some "self-censorship".

Aloha, Mark

PS.....as for what was said in Post #33.

IMHO......there are certain people in politics who are hell bent on seeing "food stamps" and "other forms of Government welfare" continue FOREVER. Not to mention, the people who love collecting FREE STUFF at the expense of the Taxpayers.

Last Edited:
Oh man... You mean now I'm supposed to start spending extra for meals in November? :s0153: Does that include the hot/HP/soy sauce, herbs and spices?

Anyhoo, I'm always willing to meet a challenge, so I guess I can start adding extra beef in the stew, extra chicken in the soup and pork in the fajitas, make extra Yorkshire pudding with the roast beast, extra sour cream and skwarka with the perogies, extra mushrooms in the spaghetti sauce.

(I guess you've figured out that we eat like poor Ukrainians, poor Irish, poor Mexicans, poor Jews, poor Italians around here :) )
I have a cupboard and fridge full of spices and condiments so I am not using any of my budget for those items. It sounds like you are eating good in the neighborhood.

There's a reason why a lot of the Pacific Islanders love Spam.

Don't discount that as a source of protein.

Also, look into Intermittent Fasting as a way to help with weight loss.

Fastest way for me personally was to not own a car, be single, and not have internet at home, and be limited to roughly $750/ month on which to spend for rent and foods and supplies in a HUD Sec 8 apartment 😅 🙃 😳 that left me with roughly $150 a month for food, $100-200 a month for phone bills and other bills, the remainder to HUD sec 8 rent. Had a decent bicycle at that time, and since I didn't have internet at home, went to the library most days of the week. Cycled all over town for internet, food, and so forth. Got down from 325 pounds at heaviest to 260ish.. then I got a car, then a girlfriend, then we got engaged, she moved in with me, and we got internet at home.. and she liked good food. Now I'm right around 300 again but craving bicycle trips and being outdoors so doing that when I have the time to myself.
Relationships have a way of doing that. When I begin dating my first wife I packed on some pounds, after we got married I packed on even more. Same thing happened with current wife.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top