JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Shipping containers are supposedly a cheap source of shelter and storage on open space, and you can have trucks drop them off. I've heard of people burying them and converting the insides to different purposes, even housing (like a steel trailer house) lol.

Maybe a well or water collection system of some kind - shelter and a water source.....hell, if you put up a water trough game will come to you out there ;) You can put up the little windmill pumps with the steel gathering troughs like the cattle ranchers use.

Just repeating ideas, I'm sure there are others.

I once saw some cool houses made of hay bales covered with stucko. Adobe is another way to go. Just spend your weekends making mud bricks. Or hire some illegals to make them for you.

Solar panels, wind mill (without lights or neon paint) if you have a spring dig it out some pipe it with pvc pipe for year round flow into an insulated well sealed building, septic sytem down hill so the waste free flows to it, double the size of the septic sytem, designate places that will become out houses in time, plant fruit tree, peaches, plum, apples, nut trees, dsignate a when the house will be, have a concrete basement, with hidden coneection to buried shipping containers and a couple secret exits, concrete root cellar.

Garden make sure you have a way of watering it eithfroma spring, stream or well by hadn free flow, even you do harvest and use it all this year, disc it till, bring lots amnure and top soil if you can get it cheap, lime breaks down acidic soil

clear the grounds of brush, do controlled burn, clear out all of the excess brush a wild firein shtf will detroy it all, make sure you have help and do several small ones if necessary, a control burn also cuts down the tick and chigger population and stimulates new growth.

Cache, cahce cache, have many burried well selaed food and ammo stores, bring fuel tanks after you have made as safe secure way of putting them and after you have done the controlled burn and after the contract work is done, try do the shipping container yourself or someone you can trust,

if a wal requires 2x4 use 2x6, thermal insulated steel doors, I prefer a fire rated door they extra solid.

Building codes and permits are tough in Oregon and you will get caught. I knew a guy who did that and he had to bulldoze it all.

We owned the rural property where we live for several years before we built. We drilled a well for "livestock purposes" and had power dropped into a mobile home pole with the breaker box on the pole for "agricultural purposes." Then we spent many weekends here in a travel trailer. We had to pull out and go dump the holding tanks every few days even with cheating and letting the gray water run off into the woods.

Just don't spend a lot of money on permanent illegal things because you might have to tear them out. When we finally built, we did it right, got all of the permits and inspections and it's all legal.

If you think about it, a $3k travel trailer is already liveable.

FWIW you can't bury a shipping container without building something like retaining walls first. They aren't waterproof and they aren't strong enough and the soil will crush them. It would be just as easy and cheaper to build a concrete box.

Just don't forget that your first need is water. You can go a lot longer without food than you can water. You'll seriously need about 1 1/2 gallons per person per day, bare minimum. You need water for cooking, washing dishes, bathing, washing clothes and oh yeah, to drink.

Shipping containers are supposedly a cheap source of shelter and storage on open space, and you can have trucks drop them off. I've heard of people burying them and converting the insides to different purposes, even housing (like a steel trailer house) lol.

Maybe a well or water collection system of some kind - shelter and a water source.....hell, if you put up a water trough game will come to you out there ;) You can put up the little windmill pumps with the steel gathering troughs like the cattle ranchers use.

Just repeating ideas, I'm sure there are others.

You know I never thought of this before...I wonder if you convert a shipping container to a place where you can hang your hat if they would still consider it a "residence".

I used to build houses. Speaking only of the building and not the lot or the driveway or anything else, when a house is "dried in" meaning roof on, siding on, windows and doors in etc., it's not quite half finished for cost. The plumbing, electrical, HVAC, cabinets, lighting, floor coverings, appliances, insulation, drywall, etc. etc. will eat your lunch.

That's how I look at a shipping container. An empty box with no doors or windows or anything. I could stick frame a rectangle that size for not much money and then I'd have a way to put wiring and plumbing and insulation, etc.

To save money and to be more flexible, I'd go with a really big travel trailer. Bigger ones are sometimes cheaper because people don't necessarily want to pull them and maneuver them. Also, if I changed plans I'd have something to sell.

While you are intitled to make comments on the weather in Eastern Oregon, it might be good to be a little more accurate. The weather in the Lakeview Oregon area is moderate and a hot day there would be more like 90 for maybe a couple days and cold maybe in the 0 ranch for a short time if the wind is blowing. I have owned this property for over 15 years and have never experienced such extremes. Below is a very informative website for weather history.
Thank You,
Ted
History | Weather Underground

I'm confused. When I think of eastern Oregon I think of LaGrande, Baker City and Ontario. Isn't Lakeview at the southern border of the state, about dead center? I am not looking for an argument, but I think apples are being compared to oranges. Is there another Lakeview that I am not aware of? Kip.

I once saw some cool houses made of hay bales covered with stucko. Adobe is another way to go. Just spend your weekends making mud bricks. Or hire some illegals to make them for you.

Hire some illegals? Really Ben???? What would be the point of having a place to bug out to if you use people that you KNOW don't give a spit about the law to build it? Hmm, I wonder if we will be safe here? Just asking.......

Give credit where it's due, though. Thinking outside the box when coming up with shelter ideas is a good thing. I don't think I would use hay as a long-term shelter but it is an excellent insulator and at least for the short term would keep you warm and dry.

While you are intitled to make comments on the weather in Eastern Oregon, it might be good to be a little more accurate. The weather in the Lakeview Oregon area is moderate and a hot day there would be more like 90 for maybe a couple days and cold maybe in the 0 ranch for a short time if the wind is blowing. I have owned this property for over 15 years and have never experienced such extremes. Below is a very informative website for weather history.
Thank You,
Ted
History | Weather Underground

Used to live there. Heppner, Ione, Ontario, did business in Lake View, Burns, Christmas Valley. Lowest I've seen is -30, highs -20 for 120 days. Froze all my underground plumbing, 4 to 5 feet underground.
Lake View, 5280 ft. very short growing season, can get 2 feet of snow in the winter. 10 degrees one moring. I watch the weather underground, prefer NOAA, Still grow hay. Just not as much.
Also beware of Alkili in the water, means you can't drink it. Big white patchs on the property with nothing growing on it? Alkili flat, nothing will every grow there.

I'm confused. When I think of eastern Oregon I think of LaGrande, Baker City and Ontario. Isn't Lakeview at the southern border of the state, about dead center? I am not looking for an argument, but I think apples are being compared to oranges. Is there another Lakeview that I am not aware of? Kip.

20 minutes from California. South eastern Oregon. Baker, LaGrande, North eastern Oregon. Ontario is kinda on its own, not quite Idaho, Treasure Valley.
Way Eastern Oregon.

Did not mean to sound rude! I did put South eastern Oregon when I started the thread.
Lakeview is a main stopping point on the way to Reno. Never have seen two feet of snow yet. They grow some of the best hay in the state, apparently high in protein. Yes, there is alkaline lakes and bodies of water all over the area, Lake Abert is a major producer of brine shrimp. There is geothermal in that area, would be great if I could stumble on a vein under the property. Sorry to of sounded mean.

Upcoming Events

Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews