JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was watching this video and at the end he's talking about how he knows guys who dry fire so much they wear out parts of their gun. Since I've began really diving into dry fire training, I've wondered about this. Should i be concerned about putting extra wear and tear on my gun from dry firing? How much is "too much" and what parts should I be aware of wearing out?

I have snap caps too and I do use them, but racking and ejecting them over and over kinda slows down my routine. I guess I'll just have to use them as much as I can.
Just rack enough to reset the trigger, speeds it up a bit. Depends on what your doing though I suppose.

If a guy is going to put wear on a gun's parts, might as well be doing it with live rounds at a range the way I see it and get shooting practice time in and develop muscle memory. Otherwise I use snap caps. Happy practicing.:rolleyes::)

Snap Caps or dummy rounds that have a faux primer are cheap insurance against damaging your gun from dry firing. I've done dry fire training without them many, many times and have never had a problem, but I could just be lucky. There have been enough testimonials about dry firing causing failures that I've since switched to snap caps for all my dry fire sessions.

Here's a picture of a documented failure of a Glock's breach face from (suspected) excessive dry firing without anything to pad the firing pin. While this type of failure might be rare, I'd like to avoid it if at all possible.

79489913.jpg

I have snap caps too and I do use them, but racking and ejecting them over and over kinda slows down my routine. I guess I'll just have to use them as much as I can.

Just rack enough to reset the trigger, speeds it up a bit. Depends on what your doing though I suppose.

I use these Training Ammo, Dummy Rounds, Tactical Gear - ST Action Pro instead of Snap Caps for dry firing and simulating malfunctions. I would not get in the routine of doing anything that isn't a normal part of operating the weapon such as partially racking the slide, it creates training scars, just rack it.

I was an armorer while in the Cav (oooh ah!). All the guys did in the barracks and in the field was dry fire their M16's and 1911's all freaking day long. All you heard was cha chink-click, cha chink-click. Day in, day out. Come live fire time on the range, never a problem. Nor did I ever have to replace components very often due to excessive wear. Keep in mind that this was going on way before I got there. When you think about how all the after market component manufacturers claim to meet or exceed mil spec, I think that dry firing should be of any concern.

I was an armorer while in the Cav (oooh ah!). All the guys did in the barracks and in the field was dry fire their M16's and 1911's all freaking day long. All you heard was cha chink-click, cha chink-click. Day in, day out. Come live fire time on the range, never a problem. Nor did I ever have to replace components very often due to excessive wear. Keep in mind that this was going on way before I got there. When you think about how all the after market component manufacturers claim to meet or exceed mil spec, I think that dry firing should be of any concern.

Now that's some peace of mind!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads