JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Except CZ double/single action guns. They smooooth out with firing/dry firing.

Not sure what you mean. But I like(ed) it. ;)
As well as beat the firing pin retaining pin to death . The roll pin used in CZ 75 and all its varents will eventually break if not changed to a solid carbide pin if a guy likes to dry fire practice a lot . CGW has an excellent replacement

14FFE8C9-79C6-444B-A0D2-495FC66662A3.jpeg One of my CZ retaining pin . Snap caps prevent this though . I just went with the carbide and called it good .

Don't dry fire your rimfires

Good rule for vintage rimfires, but many (most?) modern 22s, particularly Rugers, can be dry fired without caps. They have a block to keep the firing pin from peening on the breech face.

On the other hand there are even some center fires that shouldn't be dry fired without caps. For instance dry firing a Beretta 3032 will break the firing pin.

The manual will tell you for sure.

Even with snap caps (I never use them), one can dry fire a DA revolver out of time.
Dry firing is way cheaper than live ammo, especially factoring in gittin yer arse to the range etc.
Olympians go one step further.. researchers say visualizing shooting etc. is as or more important than the actual act for "masters".
anyhoo

The aforementioned CGW fix for CZ's is an easy/cheap option, and I've done it on each of mine. You could get the other enhancements (or not), but the firing pin and roll pin are easy to do with a hammer and punch. You also get to learn more about your CZ pistols this way.

The real damage potential in dry firing is not so much wear (which can be minimized with lubrication) but rather metal fatigue of impact/shock loaded parts like the firing pin. For instance all the energy imparted to the firing pin gets dissipated in the firing pin rather than in the primer.

I once broke off the tip, just the very tip, of the firing pin of an M1 Garand while dry firing. The very tip doesn't actually touch anything in dry firing so it's not wear. As a kid, I also broke the firing pin of my (then) new Remington 870 by dry firing. Not a lot of dry firing either.

Later, I worked in the design of demolition hammers where metal fatigue was a real issue. I've seen large hardened alloy steel parts break in 15 or 20 minutes of run time. Working in that field I got a much better appreciation of the effects of metal fatigue. I avoid dry firing as much as possible unless I have a snap cap or something similar to absorb the energy of the hammer or striker.

Any modern non rimfire worth a damn can handle dry fire all day long

Do at least 100 reps a night

People who don't dry fire don't get enough practice in - period.

Dry firing is an excellent habit to get into, just be methodical and deliberate about it and keep ammo & mags in a separate room. Works for me anyway.

Don't dry fire your rimfires

I use fired cases to cushion the firing pin while dry firing. the more cycles I can get thru my firearm the smoother it becomes and the sooner I learn how it feels both SA and DA.
What's not to like?
Gabby

I had my new snubby 22WMR out yesterday and had some light strikes firing DA so I'm dry firing some more in hopes this will limber it up more, if that doesn't do it I may put a thin washer under the retainer for the coil hammer spring to increase the compression, but for now more lube and more break in.
I'm curious also, to know if CCI 22 magnum brass needs a stronger spring to get reliable ignition. Anyone else have problems with light strikes with CCI?
o_O Gabby

Last Edited:
I have dummy rounds with no powder and a spent primer, loaded with FMJ-RN bullets. I have used them as dry fire but mostly I mix 5 or 6 into my loads for the range. This way I randomly get "clicks" and have to do a clearing drill.

I have dummy rounds with no powder and a spent primer, loaded with FMJ-RN bullets. I have used them as dry fire but mostly I mix 5 or 6 into my loads for the range. This way I randomly get "clicks" and have to do a clearing drill.

Yes I've seen this technique in some videos, i need to get some more dummy rounds for this, right now all i have is snap caps and i would probably lose them if I tried to use them at the range :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top