JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
That really irks me... wish I had enough money to sue the state.

I've always wanted to fish the hexagena hatch on Merwin. I have heard it is one of the best hatches in the PNW.

Well the state has nothing to do with the tribal netting, that would be the big boys the Federal court system. I'd pitch in a months wages along with have 5 million+ people to go in on a class action lawsuit... ;)

I wasn't sure what Drano is (thinking ie was a slang term for someplace like the buoy 10 near Astoria) so looked it up. We frequently buy fish from the Indian market in Cascade locks and have wanted to take the jet down there. We could take the Chinook motor home but might be easier to stay in a motel. Where do you guys like to fish? Looks like the lake goes to Hood River.

Actually Drano Lake was created when the department of Transportation used all the gravel to build Highway 14 along the Northern shore of the Columbia River.
The lake is north of Highway 14 and is fed by the Little White Salmon River which flows into the Columbia.

I always stay at the Happy Valley RV Park & Lodge they have overflow for RVs and 3 nice rooms catering to the fishers during the season (April-May for Springers) & (June-Sept for steelhead).;)

Or there is one or two motels in Stevenson, Washington, about 8-10.miles west.

Did you look at any YouTube videos? I'm in a few of those.

Last Edited:
Actually Drano Lake was created when the department of Transportation used all the gravel to build Highway 14 along the Northern shore of the Columbia River.
The lake is north of Highway 14 and is fed by the Little White Salmon River which flows into the Columbia.

Did you look at any YouTube videos? I'm in a few of those.
No, but I will.........so, is an Oregon licence good to fish there or is a Washington licence nessisary?

Well the state has nothing to do with the tribal netting, that would be the big boys the Federal court system. I'd pitch in a months wages along with have 5 million+ people to go in on a class action lawsuit... ;)
What with their traditional polymer nets 150' long and jet boats...

What with their traditional polymer nets 150' long and jet boats...

To repeal the Boldt decision, make em fish like everyone else, NO NETS!
There are hundreds of runs of salmon and steelhead in the Pacific Northwest that are on the endangered species list.

Now a smart man would think, okay if they're fishing with nets and are taking those endangered fish out, they won't spawn...

But the status quo continues to let them ravage the runs that are endangered. Hell, with nets in the river for months at a time they can and do wipe out runs!!!

And it's the American citizens that have to be told to conserve the resources by force by the mountainous regulations of WDFW IFG & ODFG. :mad::mad::mad:

To repeal the Boldt decision, make em fish like everyone else, NO NETS!
There are hundreds of runs of salmon and steelhead in the Pacific Northwest that are on the endangered species list.

Now a smart man would think, okay if they're fishing with nets and are taking those endangered fish out, they won't spawn...

But the status quo continues to let them ravage the runs that are endangered. Hell, with nets in the river for months at a time they can and do wipe out runs!!!

And it's the American citizens that have to be told to conserve the resources by force by the mountainous regulations of WDFW IFG & ODFG. :mad::mad::mad:

Correct me if I'm wrong Jim, don't the Native American's run a butt load of hatchery operations in The Gorge? Is the Little White Salmon hatchery an Indian run hatchery? I remember back quite a ways when the Indians were forced to clip the fish they produced. I don't think The Indian hatcheries are subject to the whims of NFS, Sierra Club, etc, to the laws suits either... All those that want to turn the salmon/steelhead fisheries in the NW into "petting zoos". If they're producing a butt load of fish I guess they ought to have a right to a good share? No?

Well herein lies the problem Mike, they don't mark their fish, at least washingto Department Fish and Wildlife Hatcheries are supposed to mark their fish there have been times where they got caught not marking fish).

All these endangered species is mainly about wild fish, native fish but are there truly any true wild fish left in the Pacific Northwest.

Also stop to ponder that most all of the hatcheries that the tribes have were built with taxpayers money.

What we need is a mutual understanding and equal conclusion for the sake of a sustainable resource. The tribes do a lot for science in this regard, at least in Oregon, but they also take out a lot of fish. I'm of the position that streams health should be supported more to provide retention of wild populations of fish. Hatcheries were an emergency action done by the fish mills and logging industries to replenish decimated populations and ecosystems. Look at the Deschutes, it sustains a hearty population of wild fish and was helped a lot by the Warm Springs Confederation of Tribes.
If gill netting is an issue, than nobody should be gill netting. Traditional methods such as "scooping" are not something I see an issue with.

I believe the biggest salmon killer is dams and all of the problems those bring.

Then there's the welcoming committee... second picture makes me sick. They just eat the bellies out of 50 year old+ giant stergeon and let the rest float away wasted.
D489814E-8E94-4E3E-9F29-A9717ADFA1A6.jpeg 5F2E655C-33AD-4538-BAF0-75B2188E0363.jpeg A52FCBB4-8359-46CD-A395-4F30E2FAE82B.jpeg

Then there's the welcoming committee... second picture makes me sick. They just eat the bellies out of 50 year old+ giant stergeon and let the rest float away wasted.
View attachment 457900 View attachment 457899 View attachment 457898
I was selling a 100 foot fishing boat a couple of decades ago. It was docked in Ft Bragg California. The marina is surrounded by high cliff like walls cut by the river. I was showing the boat to some Canadian buyers that had flown down to see it. There was an old bull sea lion on a piling 100 yards or so away that was making such a racket we couldn't carry on a conversation........eventually during a brief a lull in the noise, my Canadian customer says in a clear loud voice "You haven't shot that SOB yet?" It was a great illustration of how other places deal with the problem.

BTW boys and girlz... I've been looking for a mid-sized 5th wheel to buy for camping, to replace the 36' I sold. Unfortunately the wifey poo was giving me crossed signals all winter and early spring, so I haven't gotten it done.

Slim pickens now. RV Trader and Craigslist not much help and I've made two out of town trips already to look at rigs and been disappointed.

Anybody know of a good 5th trailer available in the 25-29' category?

BTW boys and girlz... I've been looking for a mid-sized 5th wheel to buy for camping, to replace the 36' I sold. Unfortunately the wifey poo was giving me crossed signals all winter and early spring, so I haven't gotten it done.

Slim pickens now. RV Trader and Craigslist not much help and I've made two out of town trips already to look at rigs and been disappointed.

Anybody know of a good 5th trailer available in the 25-29' category?
I used to see great deals in southern Arizona on those type things. It seems it was common for snowbirds to pull similar vehicles down there soon to discover they were too small for full time long term living and would trade them in on larger ones. There are huge sales yards in places like Yuma that had so many they were stored like cord wood. Off course, this is high selling season...........always buy straw hats in the winter.........

Before they shut it down I was an avid sturgeon fisherman... Never a day I couldnt at least get a few shakers. Between "incidental" catch by the netters, and those stupid sea mutts, It's a thing of the past:s0002:
We bought a nice fish (Sturgeon) from the Indians in Cascade Locks last fall that we had for New Years dinner. Sportfishermen still catch and keep them on the Sacramento River. I remember my grandfather catching them near Lewiston that were so big, he would hang them in a tree and butcher them like a deer. They still catch big ones in Hells Canyon near us but I don't see any reason to disturb them if they can't be eaten. Sort of like reviving someone after a hanging........

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top