JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Young's Bay is a terminal fishery. The smolts are acclimated in net pens in the bay, released, and come back to the bay, specifically for the netters. Our licence increases were to keep the gill netters IN those terminal areas and OUT of the main stem Columbia. There's also Blind slough and a couple/three other terminal areas I can't think of now.

A share of Willamette river springer smolts plants were given to the Young's Bay net pens specifically for the netters....So when they were off the Columbia in the spring they could still get (hatchery) springers while not netting the wild Willamette fish that come up the Columbia.

YAY!

:s0101:
Too tired to explain anything.... :s0112::s0112::s0112:

What's on the water this morning at 5 a.m., saw two fish caught in the toilet bowl, none in the lake and I was off the water at 9.

There was a 4:15 bite this afternoon, 6 fish were caught and since then I saw two others till 7 pm. None for me.☹
I LOVE/HATE DRANO!!!!

Like I said it's been 3 years since iFish Drano so caveman's got to pay his dues.

Last Edited:
Young's Bay is a terminal fishery. The smolts are acclimated in net pens in the bay, released, and come back to the bay, specifically for the netters. Our licence increases were to keep the gill netters IN those terminal areas and OUT of the main stem Columbia. There's also Blind slough and a couple/three other terminal areas I can't think of now.

A share of Willamette river springer smolts plants were given to the Young's Bay net pens specifically for the netters....So when they were off the Columbia in the spring they could still get (hatchery) springers while not netting the wild Willamette fish that come up the Columbia.

YAY!

I'm sorry, just dawned on me that there is a mistake in the above. As I remember the increase in our licences, (The $10.00 endorsement to fish the Columbia and it's tributaries) was to assist the gill netters in getting/using purse seine nets in the Columbia. Purse seines, they figured, would allow the netter to "sort" the wild/unclipped fish for release, unharmed. I think they found out the seines weren't practical. And now have BAGGED that idea! YAY! We pay, and they play! :mad:

When we were out on the Columbia fishing for steel head/salmon in July-Aug-Sep we would see the netters boats, freshly outfitted for purse seining, heading out of the Camas launch in the mornings and heading up river to "Practice" using the new method.

My neighbor is a part time fishing guide and he asked me to help crew his boat yesterday afternoon in the Willamette for Springers.
He had just one customer in the afternoon and needs at least one other guy that knows how to fish and help with the baiting and getting the boat back on the trailer.
The customer was an older Army vet that had recently got out of the VA hospital after a kidney transplant.
We fished till dusk with no action and right when the order to reel up all the rods and get ready to head back to the dock I remembered that I had found a brand new shiny penny in the parking lot while walking to the boat.
I stood up and tossed it over the Vets fishing line for good luck and just two seconds later his rod slammed down and he hooked up with a 16 lb hen.
He was a little unsteady on his feet because of the large cabin cruisers wallowing past us, so after reeling in the other rods, I braced his shoulders while he worked the fish (his first Springer) and at first we thought it might be a native as every time she got near the boat she tore off a bunch of line and he had to start hauling her back again.
I had more fun helping him get his fish into the net then catching one for myself.

Last Edited:
My neighbor is a part time fishing guide and he asked me to help crew his boat yesterday afternoon in the Willamette for Springers.
He had just one customer in the afternoon and needs at least one other guy that knows how to fish and help with the baiting and getting the boat back on the trailer.
The customer was an older Army vet that had recently got out of the VA hospital after a kidney transplant.
We fished till dusk with no action and right when the order to reel up all the rods and get ready to head back to the dock,
I remembered that I had found a brand new shiny penny in the parking lot while walking to the boat.
I stood up and tossed it over the Vets fishing line for good luck and just two seconds later his rod slammed down and he hooked up with a 16 lb hen.
He was a little unsteady on his feet because of the large cabin cruisers wallowing past us, so after reeling in the other rods, I braced his shoulders while he worked the fish (his first Springer) and at first we thought it might be a native as every time she got near the boat she tore off a bunch of line and he had to start hauling her back again.
I had more fun helping watching him get his fish into the net then catching one for myself.
Great post !

We fished till dusk with no action and right when the order to reel up all the rods and get ready to head back to the dock,
I remembered that I had found a brand new shiny penny in the parking lot while walking to the boat.
I had more fun helping watching him get his fish into the net then catching one for myself.

What a great cause an an outstanding finish for the old Vet.
I too feel happiness helping others catch their first or their 100th fish. I've caught enough in my lifetime in the PNW.;)

We asked him a bunch of questions about his transplant and when he showed me his scar on his stomach I asked why it wasn't on his back as I've seen the scar from another guy I fished with years ago.
He told me that they now leave the non functional kidney's in place and add the transplant in the abdominal cavity and hook it up in line with the others.
He said that being on dialysis for 2-1/2 years was a slow death and receiving the transplant pulled one foot out of the grave.

Well folks, the dam counts are up!!!
I took the morning off due to an aching back from fishing solo. I've had an offer from a buddy of mine locally that he will run my boat for me. I've known him for years and trust him completely with my boat.
I'd hate to leave early while the counts are getting better and the fishing can only get better.;)
Screenshot_20180505-091411.png

Well folks, the dam counts are up!!!
I took the morning off due to an aching back from fishing solo. I've had an offer from a buddy of mine locally that he will run my boat for me. I've known him for years and trust him completely with my boat.
I'd hate to leave early while the counts are getting better and the fishing can only get better.;)
View attachment 457132

Good lord!! Someone go on up there and give a hand to the Cave Man! Jim, you almost had me talked into coming up. Looking at those counts, something will be happening at Drano soon. I can't bring myself to go anywhere at 3:00 am though. Or, buy a Washington license for one day. And, it's my busy time of year too.

One thing that may be causing the poor fishing is as soon as the dam counts went up the stewards of the land gillnets went in the Columbia below Drano.....
I know they can't catch em all but they could sure make for continued for fishing when the numbers are up.:(

Anyways I'm going to Merwin where I know I can catch at least a few tasty fish.....:D

That really irks me... wish I had enough money to sue the state.

I've always wanted to fish the hexagena hatch on Merwin. I have heard it is one of the best hatches in the PNW.

I wasn't sure what Drano is (thinking ie was a slang term for someplace like the buoy 10 near Astoria) so looked it up. We frequently buy fish from the Indian market in Cascade locks and have wanted to take the jet down there. We could take the Chinook motor home but might be easier to stay in a motel. Where do you guys like to fish? Looks like the lake goes to Hood River.

I usually hit the locks for shad, and a good chance at some springers. There is also some bass in the area that I fish occasionally. If you're in a boat, just follow the crowd.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top