JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Henry VIII used to have them hung, revived, belly opened and guts pulled out with a hook, then arms & legs taken off. And that was just if he liked you.
He learned the technique from my 27th Great Grandfather William the 1st (William the Conqueror) several of my better known relatives were subject to similar abuse. The less egregious criminal relatives (like my grandfather Henry the 4th's treasurer) were simply beheaded. It was a much simpler world. You know that Henry Vlll was probably the first King since 1066 that used English as a first language........those pesky Plantagenet's are all relatives of mine.

Last Edited:
I am hoping that the new WDFW director will accept insight from those that fish around the state and actually accepts the fact that tribes play a part, especially on the rivers connected to Puget Sound. I have a few good friends who are natives and even they admit that tribal overfishing is an issue.

I am hoping that the new WDFW director will accept insight from those that fish around the state and actually accepts the fact that tribes play a part, especially on the rivers connected to Puget Sound. I have a few good friends who are natives and even they admit that tribal overfishing is an issue.
Yeah, apparently there was a scandal about that on the platte or some river... i'm not sure and I'm too beat to cite anything right now. I haven't fished in Washington much since I was a kid and the licenses were affordable.
I always hope for the best but it is increasingly more clear to me that things fall somewhere closer to the worst scenario.

He learned the technique from my 27th Great Grandfather William the 1st (William the Conqueror) several of my better known relatives were subject to similar abuse. The less egregious criminal relatives (like my grandfather Henry the 4th's treasurer) were simply beheaded. It was a much simpler world. You know that Henry Vlll was probably the first King since 1066 that used English as a first language........those pesky Plantagenet's are all relatives of mine.
I thought they learned that from my ancestors and the Danes... Whom seem to have been pretty original. BLOOD EAGLE!

Well folks I made it back from my trip yesterday afternoon, logging just shy of 500 miles. Thanks for all the well wishes and camaraderie as I took this journey, it helped me along greatly.

To say at least that I am a bit frustrated for the lack of fish coming to hand at Drano is an understatement. I did not even get one take down, ZERO bites & besides hooking the bottom three times is all the action I had.

I did let loose on a guide that felt his boat anchor wanted to have sex with my big ole Johnson....:eek::eek::eek::p

I do know full and well that that's why they call it fishing instead of catching, just like hunting instead of killing. Just frustrated that the glory days there are over for me.

And at close of this Fishing Adventure, I redeem myself on Lake Merwin catching some nice size Kokanee up to 14 inches, I had six chances and landed four.:) 20180507_210042_001.jpg

And a big shout out to @oknow for letting me park my rolling cave at his place for the evening and finally partaking in some Crown Royal XR..:p:p:p

B9EA76DF-ADA1-4BAC-AD9E-EC89BC86923F.jpeg In most of my fresh water fishing, the little one is more important than the big one. I really need to get busy and get some downriggers and electronics for my Jet. A few years ago I gave a good little aluminum 16 foot skiff to my (adopted) Mexican buddy that loves to fish. He was terrified being on the water and my 22 foot center console jet boat did nothing to alleviate his fears. So, we went about looking for a motor for his boat. I had a like new 25 HP Honda on the outboard stand (That I had bought from the State of Oregon) here at the ranch but he thought it was too big.........we hacked around and found him a 6 HP Honda that ran great and installed it. After a few trips out in the river he was feeling better but had his kids in the boat trying to go upstream (that is south here) at full throttle the boat was going nowhere. So he reluctantly came and installed the 25 and has never looked back. So, guess where the 6 HP wound up......as a trolling motor on my jet skiff. I really wanted a Mercury to match my main engine but it isn't that important.....it's a work boat not a show queen.

Last Edited:
Nice looking boat, that would do well in a lake with some downriggers on it, Hell yeah.
Thankyou, I have a newer motor on it now. It was custom built for the USF&G on the Olympic Pennsula. I bought it from the Federal salmon hatchery near Neah Bay where they used it off shore. It is simple and clean with large fuel tanks and diamond plate floors. I put a late model 90 Hp factory Mercury 2 stroke jet (bought from Oregon state surplus) It uses a 120 hp power head to make the 90 hp jet. I am a diesel guy and generally find outboards tedious but this one has been great.

Here are the good ole days at Drano that I long for a return.;)
It all started in 2002 with a great guy posting open seats on ifish (I know) and was also his best day at Drano. 33 fish hooked and 22 landed, yeah 6 of us fished from a barge (21' Starcraft) The Barge of Death it was dubbed that day . Thanks Don.;););)
First Springer 2002.jpg
I lost many pics from my old cell phone with 2003-2006 on them...:(:(:(
then 2011.
Limits.JPG

IMGP0331.JPG

Then thing turned to sheiite... and the trips waned & went when I got the bug only to get 1 maybe 2 fish for 4-5 days on the water.

Here is 2018's bounty below.

Nuff Said.:(

Well to add insult to injury my buddy that has been fishing there for the last 3 weeks ( a few days a week) got lucky yesterday morning.:eek:
I should have got one of those Leo's flashers but was not going to pay $19 for one, what a rip off.:D

547648811.jpg

BTW boys and girlz... I've been looking for a mid-sized 5th wheel to buy for camping, to replace the 36' I sold. Unfortunately the wifey poo was giving me crossed signals all winter and early spring, so I haven't gotten it done.

Slim pickens now. RV Trader and Craigslist not much help and I've made two out of town trips already to look at rigs and been disappointed.

Anybody know of a good 5th trailer available in the 25-29' category?

Sorry, I don't but I'm looking for a 32-36' 5th wheel... that 10.5' camper is getting small!!!

Off to Aviation Electronics School at USCG Elizabeth City N. C. From San Diego on fwy 8
Photos&Scans 378.jpg

This is what happens when you are boat poor
Photos&Scans 423.jpg

My 16' Merccruiser in Brookings. Often too small to go out over the bar. My driftboat parked behind.
Photos&Scans 491.jpg

Dad fishing the deep hole. Backbounced eggs for Fall Chinook
Photos&Scans 492.jpg

My Columbia, Brownlee, Wallowa lake boat. 20' 150hp Evinrude (no Johnson) 10hp Merc, bow mounted electric trolling motor for bass, downriggers for Kokanee, rod holders for trolling trout.
100_1055.JPG
100_1059.JPG
100_1060.JPG
100_1061.JPG
100_1065.JPG

Bow station with remote for trolling motor and fish finder with sidescan for bass
100_1069.JPG

Driver station for trolling
100_1073.JPG

Morgan Lake - about 10min out of town above La Grande.
pics 0908 049.jpg

North Carolina bass in 1977. The USCG morale locker would rent me an 18' Johnboat with motor for $5
Photos&Scans 380.jpg

My dad's fishin buds in Tampa
Photos&Scans 406.jpg

Baldy Lake - just a 1/2 mile hike from the trailhead in the Elkhorn Mtns
Photos&Scans 445.jpg

Fishin the tide in Tampa
Photos&Scans 450.jpg

Party boat rental in Tampa - watch out for gators & cottonmouths!!
Photos&Scans 452.jpg

Catch of the day!!!
Photos&Scans 453.jpg

My first ever Photos&Scans 476.jpg salmon caught from the Chetco jetty with a 7' rod as rigged by local sporting store

Getting the hang of river fishing in my new 18' Fishrite drift boat.
Photos&Scans 497.jpg

First ever steelhead caught on the Telkwa R. in Canada
Photos&Scans 498.jpg

Day trip on the Illinois - tricky boating in certain places
Photos&Scans 689.jpg

Moccasin Lake in the High Lakes of E. OR.
Photos&Scans 709.jpg

Just another work day. I used the have to go upriver on the Rogue R to several lodges to work on radio comms. Always an overnight stay. :D:D:D
Photos&Scans 726.jpg

Christmas in Brookings
Photos&Scans 734.jpg

The back of my PNW style cedar home on Cape Ferrelo above the ocean on 3 acres. Not a big property but hey, it's expensive!!
Photos&Scans 785.jpg
We left seven old growth redwood stumps to keep the flavor of the area. I built this brand new and then the wifey wanted to move back to La Grande. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

San Diego. Why did I leave? (overcrowding and no hunting)
Photos&Scans 463.jpg

Last Edited:
Love seeing others lives in the out of doors and from the looks of it you had a full boatload of fun.;)

My son is doing his second tour in NC. The first in Morehead City and now stationed in Nags Head. I was raised on Ft. Bragg in Fayetteville.:D

Upcoming Events

Tillamook Gun & Knife Show
Tillamook, OR
"The Original" Kalispell Gun Show
Kalispell, MT
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top