Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Donut question

Discussion in 'Off Topic' started by ApronAmy, Dec 26, 2010.

1. ApronAmy

ApronAmy Beaverton, OR Member

My boyfriend and I can't agree on this...

What do you consider an "old fashioned" donut?

Is it the ones that look all cracked around the edges, or is it a cake donut? I'm from the East Coast and back there (at Dunkin Donuts, at least) the plain cake donuts are called "old fashioned." He tells me that here on the West Coast, the bumpy/cracked ones are given that name.

Is this truly a regional thing or am I completely off my rocker and don't know what I'm talking about? I googled it and couldn't really get any kind of consensus or authoritative answers.

And what makes the bumpy ones bumpy, anyway? Any donut experts here?

2. ejmpnu92

ejmpnu92 Hillsboro, Or Active Member

You might be surprised, but you are both right. Here on the west coast, it is a round cake donut that has crinkled edges, with a hole in the middle.
    When you say cake, here it is more like a small loaf (like bread or corn bread, but made out of donut dough) that has a glaze on it.
    Both styles are old fashioned, because it is of a cake like consistency. Not like the more modern big fluffy donuts.

3. billc

billc Albany Member

When I made donuts in the early 90's here in Albany, a cake donut was just that. The cake dough was in a hopper, you cranked the handle and out pops the cake donut into the oil. It was not a loaf, it is in traditional shape. These could be glazed, iced or left plain.
    The old fashioned was made with a different dough but used the same method and was in the same round/hole shape. The crack on the top of the donut was the side that first hit the oil!

4. Mutoman

Mutoman North Bend Active Member

The "west coast" old-fashion is a buttermilk donut that flowers out when deep fried. The regular cake doughnuts are a different mix. I guess it is the buttermilk that causes the different texture.

5. deadeye

deadeye Albany,OR. Moderator Staff Member

The guy is correct again at least on this coast......This is similar to the question is it a long john or a chocolate/maple bar? Both one in the same, both equally tastey so go eat your donuts/doughnuts.

6. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

<airplane>"It's a fried cake with a hole in the center, but that's not important right now"</airplane>

7. atypicalparkie

atypicalparkie sowfeast poetland, ohraygun Member

DANG I love this board! I learn something new every day. I've been wondering about the reason for the cracking for years. Used to looooooove me some old fashioned. Stupid 'gluten intolerance' now, but what the heck if I don't buy donuts/doughnuts it's more $ for ammo :D

8. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

1.)Get a new boyfriend. If he will argue about this small point there is trouble ahead. :laugh::thumbup:

2.)Mutoman is correct about the differing characteristics of the formulations and the resultant appearance.

3.) IT'S ONLY A DONUT!!!!!!!

9. RVTECH

RVTECH LaPine Well-Known Member

Forget about donuts. Have fresh fruit and juice in the morning. Tastes better and you will feel better about yourself!

10. ApronAmy

ApronAmy Beaverton, OR Member

Thanks for all the answers! Now I know I'm not going crazy and will enjoy my (very occasional) old fashioned cake donut, no matter what it's called.

Thanks but actually I think I'll keep the boyfriend. I brought the issue up, he's one heck of a good catch, and this is one of the most "significant" things we've been unable to agree on in the year we've been dating. Besides, he taught me how to shoot so that's like a zillion points in his favor, right?

11. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

To keep this firearms related, sometimes before I go to the rifle range I will have coffee and an Old Fashioned donut.

See how I did that? :D

12. Trlsmn

Trlsmn In Utero (Portland) Well-Known Member

13. Cougfan2

Cougfan2 Hillsboro, OR Well-Known Member

14. 4dogs

4dogs 3 miles from the range Active Member

I like Pershings...or is that really what you call them?

15. Just Jim

Just Jim Well-Known Member

Women and her boyfriend walk into a bakery:D:D and she decides against the donut and orders a bisquit. It was so good she asked to meet the cook to learn his secret. Waiter says" mam please trust me, you don't want to see the bisquits made".

She begged to see so the waiter relented and took her to the kitchen. There on a baking pan was perfectly rolled dough in perfect size balls. The cook had his shirt off and picked up a doughball putting it into his armpit. He squeezed it tight then laid it on the pan to be cooked with the others.

Naturally she was upset but the waiter tried to make things better for her by saying., "that's not really bad, you should see the way he makes donuts"

jj:D

16. MA Duce

MA Duce Central Oregon Well-Known Member

Well being able to shoot will definitely keep him him line......:laugh: I say give the guy a chance then:thumbup: