JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
My boyfriend and I can't agree on this...

What do you consider an "old fashioned" donut?

Is it the ones that look all cracked around the edges, or is it a cake donut? I'm from the East Coast and back there (at Dunkin Donuts, at least) the plain cake donuts are called "old fashioned." He tells me that here on the West Coast, the bumpy/cracked ones are given that name.

Is this truly a regional thing or am I completely off my rocker and don't know what I'm talking about? I googled it and couldn't really get any kind of consensus or authoritative answers.

And what makes the bumpy ones bumpy, anyway? Any donut experts here?

Is it the ones that look all cracked around the edges, or is it a cake donut? I'm from the East Coast and back there (at Dunkin Donuts, at least) the plain cake donuts are called "old fashioned." He tells me that here on the West Coast, the bumpy/cracked ones are given that name.

Is this truly a regional thing or am I completely off my rocker and don't know what I'm talking about? I googled it and couldn't really get any kind of consensus or authoritative answers.

You might be surprised, but you are both right. Here on the west coast, it is a round cake donut that has crinkled edges, with a hole in the middle.
When you say cake, here it is more like a small loaf (like bread or corn bread, but made out of donut dough) that has a glaze on it.
Both styles are old fashioned, because it is of a cake like consistency. Not like the more modern big fluffy donuts.

When I made donuts in the early 90's here in Albany, a cake donut was just that. The cake dough was in a hopper, you cranked the handle and out pops the cake donut into the oil. It was not a loaf, it is in traditional shape. These could be glazed, iced or left plain.
The old fashioned was made with a different dough but used the same method and was in the same round/hole shape. The crack on the top of the donut was the side that first hit the oil!

The "west coast" old-fashion is a buttermilk donut that flowers out when deep fried. The regular cake doughnuts are a different mix. I guess it is the buttermilk that causes the different texture.

The guy is correct again at least on this coast......This is similar to the question is it a long john or a chocolate/maple bar? Both one in the same, both equally tastey so go eat your donuts/doughnuts.

When I made donuts in the early 90's here in Albany, a cake donut was just that. The cake dough was in a hopper, you cranked the handle and out pops the cake donut into the oil. It was not a loaf, it is in traditional shape. These could be glazed, iced or left plain.
The old fashioned was made with a different dough but used the same method and was in the same round/hole shape. The crack on the top of the donut was the side that first hit the oil!
DANG I love this board! I learn something new every day. I've been wondering about the reason for the cracking for years. Used to looooooove me some old fashioned. Stupid 'gluten intolerance' now, but what the heck if I don't buy donuts/doughnuts it's more $ for ammo :D

1.)Get a new boyfriend. If he will argue about this small point there is trouble ahead. :s0114::s0155:

2.)Mutoman is correct about the differing characteristics of the formulations and the resultant appearance.

3.) IT'S ONLY A DONUT!!!!!!!

Thanks for all the answers! Now I know I'm not going crazy and will enjoy my (very occasional) old fashioned cake donut, no matter what it's called.

1.)Get a new boyfriend. If he will argue about this small point there is trouble ahead. :s0114::s0155:

Thanks but actually I think I'll keep the boyfriend. I brought the issue up, he's one heck of a good catch, and this is one of the most "significant" things we've been unable to agree on in the year we've been dating. Besides, he taught me how to shoot so that's like a zillion points in his favor, right?

Women and her boyfriend walk into a bakery:D:D and she decides against the donut and orders a bisquit. It was so good she asked to meet the cook to learn his secret. Waiter says" mam please trust me, you don't want to see the bisquits made".

She begged to see so the waiter relented and took her to the kitchen. There on a baking pan was perfectly rolled dough in perfect size balls. The cook had his shirt off and picked up a doughball putting it into his armpit. He squeezed it tight then laid it on the pan to be cooked with the others.

Naturally she was upset but the waiter tried to make things better for her by saying., "that's not really bad, you should see the way he makes donuts"

jj:D

Thanks for all the answers! Now I know I'm not going crazy and will enjoy my (very occasional) old fashioned cake donut, no matter what it's called.

Thanks but actually I think I'll keep the boyfriend. I brought the issue up, he's one heck of a good catch, and this is one of the most "significant" things we've been unable to agree on in the year we've been dating. Besides, he taught me how to shoot so that's like a zillion points in his favor, right?

Well being able to shoot will definitely keep him him line......:s0114: I say give the guy a chance then:s0155:

Upcoming Events

Redmond Gun Show
Redmond, OR
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top