JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Just falling prey to the media blitz and liberal gun hating crowd.

They still make some awesome hunting gear.
I think they support it, but support humane harvesting and being a good steward of the American past time.

There are some details that made me wonder about the guy in the story, but there couldn't be a more historic way of hunting.

Legal means to take an animal. While it wouldn't be anything I would do, the hunter did nothing (legally) wrong. Under Amror caving says more about the companies character, than it says about it's support foe hunting. I don't buy UA and I will continue to not be a customer, regardless of this.

Given how easily they bowed down to the anti hunters, UA's next statement will be "We support the 2A, but no one needs an assault weapon for hunting".

F*#% them, they have no backbone.

Ray

"The method used to harvest this animal was reckless, and we do not condone it," said Under Armour spokeswoman Danielle Daly.

He trained for YEARS, and was a champion javelin thrower! When are people going to read beyond the damn headline and actually find out the details of a story?

Eh, whatever.

This is just like when you get caught as a kid and say, oops I'm sorry and won't ever do that again...

You just tell the immediate threat ( parents or consumers ) what they want to hear to mitigate the punishment ( a switch or loss of sales ).

Under armor has a lot to compete with in real tree and mossy oak for lower priced hunting gear but they also have a massive white collar crowd to cater to with their fitness gear.

I'm not tossing my ball cap away cuz their PR people are trying to put out fires. (I like the way it fits and it's a minimal logo - I'm a simple guy).

It is all about the press they get.

They don't care about whether it was cruelty or reckless or what - if it had been popular with their demographic they would have gone for it big time, but it wasn't, so they go with the flow.

If people saw how animals are killed and slaughtered for their big macs and chicken sandwiches and hot dogs and so on, they would lose their appetite real quick, and I am sure some would cry publicly about what a crime it is that animals are mistreated so badly.

I got a kick out of some of the comments in the article, about how this wasn't sport because the human had the advantage with "advanced weaponry" and that real "sport" would put the human on equal footing with the bear - as if the only way it would be sport would be if the human went one on one with the bear with nothing but his/her hands and teeth so that the animal could "compete". :rolleyes:

Then there was someone else who pointed out that in some parts of the world that this is how people feed themselves to which the response was that those people aren't "civilized". :eek:

Do these people even listen to themselves?

I think not.

I didn't see the video - I assume it was somewhat gory, maybe even a bit brutal given the type of weapon and the size of the animal. It wouldn't be my first choice of weapon if I had a gun to hunt with.

That said, you can't get too much closer to giving the animal a fair chance to defend itself without going at it totally weaponless, in which case 99.99% of the time the human would lose - our only weapon against dangerous animals like a bear, is our brain and by extension, our ability to craft and use tools. Even then, if a human did win (or not) I am sure someone would cry about how it would be cruel and not sport, etc., etc.

I don't consider hunting that much of a "sport", especially not in the sense of a competition with the animal I am hunting. It is more about something I would engage in to get out in the woods and come back hopefully with something to feed my family. When I see deer, elk, etc., I see food - not a competitor.

In that sense, at least some of these people are hypocrites; do they think that cattle and pigs and other domestic livestock raised for food and other products have any kind of "sporting" chance when they are slaughtered for food or leather or other products?

Humans are not anymore civilized than animals, just slightly more intelligent. We kill other animals and other humans for food and other resources that we "compete" for. That is the way of nature. It isn't about "sport", it is about survival. Is it any more civilized to round up animals and keep them in pens and cages for our food and clothes than it is to let them roam wild and free to run away when we hunt for them with whatever tool we use? No - just the opposite - it is less civilized IMO.

UA is not any different than most hunting apparel or sports apparel pricing wise.

UA also contributes at oeast $250,000 annually to help Veterans, active duty military, and first responders.
They give a 10% discount for any of those individuals as well.
They also partnered with wounded warrior project to support the troops as well as opening gyms for military and first responders and hosting wounded warrior workouts.

Almost every sports team and military group wears their brand.

The owner also supports cancer groups, children's hospitals, and other groups around Maryland.

Does this mean their saints. No. They are a business making money. A lot of money.

And the beautiful thing about business is you get to charge what people will pay.

I buy some of their stuff as it is great gear.

But it's a free country, don't like it, don't buy it.

I personally don't support spearing a bear. Yeah the guy was qualified, at spear chucking, but that doesn't equate to hunting.

I personally don't support spearing a bear. Yeah the guy was qualified, at spear chucking, but that doesn't equate to hunting.

To me, that seems closer to primal hunting than shooting a bear at a distance with a whiz bang magnum rifle. It is certainly more of a challenge.

I don't hunt anymore due to health issues, and I have never hunted bears (one of the few predators I would hunt if I did still hunt), but I am not sure what "hunting" is if it isn't about getting out in the woods and taking the animal yourself, physically, instead of going into a grocery store and getting the meat there.

A spear is a sharpened stick, just like an arrow is. More primal, but still a weapon and using it to kill an wild free animal for its meat is most definitely hunting in my book. I don't know what hunting is if that isn't hunting.

What I don't like and/or agree with is the joyful way he brags about being "savage"

And leaving the bear overnight before harvesting it. What if he couldn't find it, animals got to it. He ran a good chance of wasting the bear.

I have a hard time believing this guy harvested that meat and fur for him and his wife.

I'm not a fan of baiting and killing a bear or any animal that has been "set up".
That's not hunting. That's not sportsmanship.

This guy says:
"I enjoy the challenge of the hunt more than the actual harvest," Bowmar said in the Q&A. "So for me, it's not about going out there and shooting everything I see. … I really like the pursuit, I really like finding an animal and studying that animal and getting as close as possible to be able to kill him.

But yet you drew a bear into a bait station. Real challenging.

And now from Alberta:
But after Bowmar's video went viral, Alberta's Ministry of Environment and Parks said it was in the process of revising its hunting regulations.

"The type of archaic hunting seen in the recently posted video of a hunter spearing a black bear, allegedly in Alberta, is unacceptable," the ministry said in a statement Tuesday to The Washington Post, adding: "We will introduce a ban on spear hunting this fall as part of those updated regulations.

Humans have baited the animals they hunt for millennia and longer.

How is baiting bear any different than baiting deer or pigs with corn?

I've waited near an apple tree waiting for deer to come and then shot them when they did - in a sense that is "baiting". Baiting is simple hunting over a food supply, whether you supply the food or wait near a natural food source - the food is the bait.

I think part of the problem here is the idea some people have of hunting as a "sport" where there is some kind of competition between humans and animals, where the animals have to have some kind of "sporting" chance, and anything that increases the odds in the favor of humans makes it less "sporting". In that case, don't use guns, don't use bow and arrow, don't use a sharpened stick, don't even use a rock - jump on the back of the animal and gnaw at it with your teeth, strangle it with your hands. That is "sporting". :rolleyes:

As for the gov. of Alberta - they are just responding to the bad press. Is a spear "archaic" - you bet!

ar·cha·ic
ärˈkāik/
adjective
  1. very old or old-fashioned.
    "prisons are run on archaic methods"
    synonyms: obsolete, out of date, old-fashioned, outmoded, behind the times, bygone, anachronistic, antiquated, superannuated,antediluvian, old world, old-fangled;
So is hunting with a bow and arrow.

Hell, hunting itself is somewhat archaic and getting more archaic every day. The most common way, by far, of harvesting meat today is putting animals in pens, feeding them one kind of food and antibiotics and growth hormones and then slaughtering them.

I don't understand how people can say the tossing a spear doesn't equate to hunting... Have people forgotten just where we have come from?

Yes - yes they have.

And that in a nutshell is what this is all about.

People don't want to be reminded of where we "came from", and that there are a LOT of people in the world who still subsist in this manner - but then those people are not "civilized" and we are, when we get our meat from penned and caged animals.

It is all about hiding that so people don't realize it.

I am sure everybody here has heard the stories of people who are so ignorant of where their food comes from that they don't know that eggs come out of chickens, and so on.

I was raised on a farm. I watched my grandfather milk the cows and gather eggs every day. I saw the cattle and pigs and goats and chickens and ducks slaughtered for meat. I saw my father come home from hunting with deer and elk meat. I've hunted and killed and skinned and cut up the animals myself to provide meat for my family. I've grown and harvested crops myself.

I have no illusions about where my food comes from.

But many people are quite ignorant in that respect, so yes, they have forgotten.

So does that mean we shouldn't shop at grocery stores or drive vehicles?

You guys take horses to town?

Just because we came from there doesn't mean we should still use them.

You guys bow hunt? Make your own bow and arrows? Or do you have a nice compound bow and arrows.

Either way, I never said the guy shouldn't or that people shouldn't be able to. This guy gave comflicting statements to his act.

I don't agree with baiting, and I don't agree with him leaving it overnight before harvesting (if he did)

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top