JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
You don't agree with leaving it over night? What do you really know about hunting?
Did you know that many archery guys with big high tech compound bows, stick a deer/elk before dark and will wait hours before going and looking for it?
It is called letting the animal expire before pressing on. That way you don't push it deeper into the bush.
Heck, even when I knock one down with a high powered rifle, I give it time.

I don't have a problem with shopping at grocery stores or using any other modern convenience.

I do have a problem with people shopping at grocery stores and then complaining about someone who hunts with a primitive weapon saying it isn't "sporting". I think that is hypocritical when what they are doing by getting their meat at a grocery store is much much much less "sporting" in that it is not sporting at all - just the opposite.

Indeed, as I said, I don't think of hunting as a sport, but rather something that is a means to an end - survival - but if I had to classify it somewhere on a spectrum of "sporting" to "not sporting", I would say it is much more sporting to hunt a wild animal, with any weapon at your disposal, than it is to pen/cage an animal and raise/slaughter it for meat - something that most people do today.

Just pointing out how disingenuous and hypocritical it is to assert that any kind of hunting is not "sporting" while engaging in buying meat from a grocery store or other animal product, that comes from the most "non-sporting" source I can think of.

As for not harvesting the animal immediately.

I wasn't there.

But I have been in situations where I had to make that choice. Generally I will try not to leave the meat out in the woods because of the chance that some other animal will get into it. But that too isn't about "sport" and the meat doesn't go to waste as some other animal consumes it.

E.G.:

10712830_303288126532726_3962945901327460712_n.jpg

That deer was shot in a deep ravine near the Alsea river. We were tempted to leave it overnight as it was going to be dark in about an hour or so. Instead we halved it and used ropes and flashlights and with one hand on the rope and another on the deer, we climbed slowly up out of the ravine. We then repeated for the other half. We didn't finish until after midnight.

I can totally understand how someone can make a different choice and risk losing some meat. I try real hard not to, but I wasn't there, so I don't know what the hunter's circumstances were.

I will say, that while I like a nice trophy, I hunt primarily for the meat and if I have any choice about it, I won't waste the meat. I don't hunt just to kill an animal unless it is in self-defense.

I'm with Diesel,never had any of it and won't buy it .
I don't like any of that synthetic wear.
I've heard the Sitka gear is very good stuff but still way pricy
As far as the dude spearing the animal,I think it's fine
Did he use good judgment posting the vid? Maybe not
Timm Wells' Relentless pursuit YouTube,is friends with Cold Steel's owner and has a successful tv show I believe along with his YouTube channel.
Those two guys spear animals all the time,haven't heard anyone get pissy on them

There's a whole lot of bullbubblegum in that article and this thread. The dude is a clown, he has no idea what a savage is.

Baiting a bear and hiding until you have a chance to throw a sharp metal stick in it is not savage, its lazy. Is it better than sitting with a rifle and a thousand dollar scope ? yes by all means. Is it cowardly? Yeah its that too. Is spear hunting closer than the new bows and guns to some form of actual fair fight? Yeah, Ill give him that. Even if he did use a feed trap and didn't actually hunt bubblegum.

Its always fun to watch hunters try to justify their actions. I say plus 1 for under armor. I might actually look at their product.

I don't have a problem with shopping at grocery stores or using any other modern convenience.

I do have a problem with people shopping at grocery stores and then complaining about someone who hunts with a primitive weapon saying it isn't "sporting". I think that is hypocritical when what they are doing by getting their meat at a grocery store is much much much less "sporting" in that it is not sporting at all - just the opposite.
The difference being is no one walks out of the grocery store acting like they are some great hero for bagging a pound of hamburger. No one goes to the store and imagines they are playing sport, modern day hunters should stop doing it to (imagining they are hero's or accomplished for taking an animal, not for hunting if hunting is your hobby then so be it, it is what it is), because its not much of a sport.

unless there is legitimate hunting and tracking and killing done without the aid of all the machinery and product that modern hunters utilize to cover the fact that they are no different than the guy at the store buying the pound of hamburger. Though most hunters sure seem to think its an achievement.

Killing a bear with a spear or a knife is about the closest thing I can think of as a fair fight. When you don't spend weeks attracting them with a feed barrel then hop out from hiding and toss it at his back

I am sharpening my Atlatl as we speak. Somewhere there's a bison or a musk ox with my name on it. Just as soon as I win the draw. Now there's a primo idea for reality hunting. Joe and Jill average get handed a few rocks and twine and have to make their own points hand harvest whatever nastiness lurks in the deepest recesses of Siberia.
And if a few amateur reality hunters get culled....better for ratings, right?:oops:
Brutus out

I am sharpening my Atlatl as we speak. Somewhere there's a bison or a musk ox with my name on it. Just as soon as I win the draw. Now there's a primo idea for reality hunting. Joe and Jill average get handed a few rocks and twine and have to make their own points hand harvest whatever nastiness lurks in the deepest recesses of Siberia.
And if a few amateur reality hunters get culled....better for ratings, right?:oops:
Brutus out
Strangling is where it's at. I think Ruark wrote of a Scott that'd get drunk, go into the bush and strangle him a leopard.. until one time he just disappeared.

As I said, I don't think it is much of a sport either - at least not in the sense of a competitive sport.

But there are non-competitive sports - where you are challenged. Such as climbing mountains or sky diving. So in that sense, for many, hunting is a "sport". Shooting is a sport that doesn't have to be competitive.

When I hunted, I preferred to get something, but I did also greatly enjoy getting out there in the woods with a firearm, and tromping about.

The only real problem I have with this particular event is the people criticizing the person for hunting with a spear. People hunt other animals/etc. with a spear, pigs, fish, etc., all the time. I don't see anybody coming unglues about all of the spearfishing vids on youtube.

Then you have the whole "sport" of fishing where pretty much the only way to catch fish is with bait, unless you net them or spear them - and netting them as "sport" is usually illegal in the USA whereas it is legal to net them commercially.

As I said, we harvest and eat other animals/etc. for survival. How we harvest them is "fair game" and it is a pretense to talk about one method being more "sporting" than another.

Then you have the whole "sport" of fishing where pretty much the only way to catch fish is with bait, unless you net them or spear them - and netting them as "sport" is usually illegal in the USA whereas it is legal to net them commercially.

As I said, we harvest and eat other animals/etc. for survival. How we harvest them is "fair game" and it is a pretense to talk about one method being more "sporting" than another.

Ray

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads