JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Bad writing. Bad editing. That book desperately needed a knowledgeable reader to proof read it. Do publishing houses even do that today? I also have read some very bad stuff. How much do they $pay$ proof readers nowadays? Might be a good home job?

If I had a £ or even a $ for the number of times I've written the editors of publishing houses FREE proof-reading of their stories, I wouldn't be the poor old man I am today. :rolleyes:

I have NEVER, EVER, received any kind of response. :mad:

There really is no excuse for it, is there? It's not as though you have to invent anything to do with shooting - it is all so well-documented that it's almost criminal to get it wrong. :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

tac

Burr under your saddle is off center in my opine.
I don't have a problem seeing someone using a 22 short rifle to drop an elk @ 500 yards in the movies. After all, (for me) some of the best entertainment is implausible and totally fiction. (albeit all of Dick Tracy's improbable tricks have come to pass;))
We all have seen the 500 yard Bow shots in the movies of the middle ages and likely were either just amused, or our manhood somehow embolden as we informed the wife; "that couldn't happen in real Life".
The ones that bug me are the politically driven agendas, leveraging negative firearms connotations & or Global warning which are sometimes shove down your throat in the most rude and covert way.
Almost everything has an agenda nowadays.
My daughter gave me a subscription for Popular science. While some things were interesting, I became irritated with the politicks infused into nearly every article. Next year, she gave us a subscription for National geographic which was even worse in their agendas. Within almost every article someone is sniping a cause for this or that devastation, animal loss, habitat, whatever, being a global warming issue.

Leave the politicks out please, I'll come to my own conclusions.

I can handle watching someone eating a juicy stake they just pulled out of a replicator.
But For crying out loud, Can't a fellow sit down to eat a steak without some veggie commie raging on me. :confused:

Burr under your saddle is off center in my opine.
I don't have a problem seeing someone using a 22 short rifle to drop an elk @ 500 yards in the movies. After all, (for me) some of the best entertainment is implausible and totally fiction. (albeit all of Dick Tracy's improbable tricks have come to pass;))
We all have seen the 500 yard Bow shots in the movies of the middle ages and likely were either just amused, or our manhood somehow embolden as we informed the wife; "that couldn't happen in real Life".
The ones that bug me are the politically driven agendas, leveraging negative firearms connotations & or Global warning which are sometimes shove down your throat in the most rude and covert way.
Almost everything has an agenda nowadays.
My daughter gave me a subscription for Popular science. While some things were interesting, I became irritated with the politicks infused into nearly every article. Next year, she gave us a subscription for National geographic which was even worse in their agendas. Within almost every article someone is sniping a cause for this or that devastation, animal loss, habitat, whatever, being a global warming issue.

Leave the politicks out please, I'll come to my own conclusions.

I can handle watching someone eating a juicy stake they just pulled out of a replicator.
But For crying out loud, Can't a fellow sit down to eat a steak without some veggie commie raging on me. :confused:
Indeed. A pet peeve of mine is the continual brainwashing that vegetarianism = healthy/happy person. Google (images) "vegetarian" and 999/1000 of those pics will be a frolicking, happy nymph.. google meat eater or "fat person", "unhealthy eating" or whatever and 999/1000 will show a fat and unhappy someone choking down some meat (gigity).
The deal is, there's a F-ton of fat and unhealthy vegetarians, thanks to their holier than thou sedentary lifestyles and unhealthy diets of French fries and Poptarts.
bugger

There books and movies fact is most people would not even blink a eye at what they say they believe it all because they read it or saw it in a movie just lot at the response to the hearing protection act going through the government regulation right now they all think that if you own a suppressed gun your a hit man and nobody will hear you kill someone in the restaurant bathroom lol

I've just come to expect that movies, books, television, politicians, journalists, etc., simply aren't going to portray guns accurately.

For instance, I love how every AR and AK shown in TV/movies are ALWAYS full auto guns that can run for ages on a single 30-round magazine. I also notice that many AR's, etc. are lacking sights of any kind. Now, I know in a pinch you can sight down the top of the rail (I've done that myself), but it's odd they'd leave them off for the show.

In fact, I was intrigued by the season 7 finale of the Walking Dead (spoilers ahead if you're a fan and haven't seen it yet). In the episode, there is a big firefight, all sorts of weapons being used, many are full auto. At one point, Daryl picks up a rifle from another person and begins firing, full auto, of course - and, as I looked a bit more closely - no sights at all on the gun. But it also was an interesting gun, so I did a little online research. Turns out it's a Seekins Precision custom gun, built for the show, apparently and SBR too. Here is a shot of it:

twd-s7-daryl-682x383.1491416983.jpg

twd-nr-fb-682x383.1491416981.jpg

I've just come to expect that movies, books, television, politicians, journalists, etc., simply aren't going to portray guns accurately.

For instance, I love how every AR and AK shown in TV/movies are ALWAYS full auto guns that can run for ages on a single 30-round magazine. I also notice that many AR's, etc. are lacking sights of any kind. Now, I know in a pinch you can sight down the top of the rail (I've done that myself), but it's odd they'd leave them off for the show.

In fact, I was intrigued by the season 7 finale of the Walking Dead (spoilers ahead if you're a fan and haven't seen it yet). In the episode, there is a big firefight, all sorts of weapons being used, many are full auto. At one point, Daryl picks up a rifle from another person and begins firing, full auto, of course - and, as I looked a bit more closely - no sights at all on the gun. But it also was an interesting gun, so I did a little online research. Turns out it's a Seekins Precision custom gun, built for the show, apparently and SBR too. Here is a shot of it:

View attachment 355541

View attachment 355542
You can go all the way back to the movie escape from New York all the police had AR15 with no forend on them just a barrel and a A2 site no gas tube lol

Hollywood is no stranger to getting firearms wrong.
One of my favorite John Wayne westerns is "The Searchers."
The story takes place in 1868 ... Yet there are Colt SAA's in the hands of almost everyone.
And Winchester model 92's and 94's abound.
The one rifle that might have been there is in the hands of the crazy guy ... he has a Jenks Carbine.

I think there is no excuse for the lack of proper firearms or firearm knowledge in a book or movie...
But I've about given up expecting to see or read it.

Even with all the conflicting sources one can find on the internet ... you can stumble on a gem or two.
Our site here is a goldmine of information .... Now if only Hollywood or a novelist would come calling. :D
Andy

Well ... It might not have been a Glock , but .... When he did that long shot at the buffalo with his Henry rifle , the rifle was empty at the time.
If you look closely at the magazine tube , the magazine follower is all the way to the receiver ... meaning a empty magazine.

I wish I was as good as a shot with a empty rifle as he was...:eek::D
Andy
Yeah, didn't Kevin Costner's character carry a Glock 17 in Dances with Wolves?? :rolleyes:

Well ... It might have been a Glock , but .... When he did that long shot at the buffalo with his Henry rifle , the rifle was empty at the time.
If you look closely at the magazine tube , the magazine follower is all the way to the receiver ... meaning a empty magazine.

I wish I was as good as a shot with a empty rifle as he was...:eek::D
Andy

Good eye - I wouldn't have caught that.

I'm a great shot with an empty rifle - I always hit what I imagine I'm shooting at!

While on the subject of DWW though, I was curious, and maybe you can answer. As I understand it, the rifles he goes back and digs up to give to the Sioux to fight the Pawnee raiding party were a type of Sharps rifle? It's hard to tell in the fight scene, but it almost appears to me like they're able to fire them off rather quickly like a lever gun. But as I understand the Sharps rifles, they were single shot cartridge guns? Any light you might be able to shed on that?

I dimly remember that scene...
As far as the Sharps rifle series ...
The first models pre-Civil War and those used during the war were breech loading paper cartridge guns.
The rifle in question might have also been a Spencer rifle or Carbine it was magazine feed thru the butt stock.
It fired a .52 caliber rim fire cartridge.
I'll have to check out that scene....
Andy

I dimly remember that scene...
As far as the Sharps rifle series ...
The first models pre-Civil War and those used during the war were breech loading paper cartridge guns.
The rifle in question might have also been a Spencer rifle or Carbine it was magazine feed thru the butt stock.
It fired a .52 caliber rim fire cartridge.
I'll have to check out that scene....
Andy

I just jumped over to IMFDB.org - according to them, the rifles used by the Sioux in that scene were all Sharps 1863's and the Saddle Ring Carbines. Definitely guns I don't know much, if anything, about.

Ever since I got into firearms last year, I've paid a lot closer attention when they appear on TV, movies, or in books, and the manner in which they are used and/or discussed. Today I was reading a book and the following seemed odd to me (emphasis added):

1. "twenty-two gauge shells" - shouldn't that be "twenty-two caliber bullets/rounds"?
  2. "about the size of a quarter" - a .22 soft-nose expands to the size of a quarter? That seems a bit large to me. Maybe a dime at the most, but maybe I'm wrong.
  3. The third part may be technically correct, so I'll give him that. What struck me was that, correct me if I'm wrong, but nearly all handgun rounds are subsonic, aren't they? If so, then there's lots of other calibers that would benefit from a silencer as well, yes? Also, a .22 isn't all that loud in the first place.
So help me out here. Does this passage strike you as odd also?

Edit to Add: The author of this fiction novel is British, so perhaps we're dealing with differences in terminology on the first point.

I'm pretty new to firearms myself. And though I don't read fiction, in the process of learning about gun/history of guns has been a bad thing at times. Movies being less enjoyable because of endless ammo from 30 round mags. More than 5 shots from 19th century single action pistols, etc. Wishing I could freeze/pause a movie so I could find out what type of rifle the actor was using. They way I view some of my favorite movies has sure changed!

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
May 26, 2024 Oregon Arms Collectors
Portland, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top