JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
7.62 AR uppers are becoming a real option as far as reliability with good magazines. If I didn't already have an AK for a few hundred dollars I'd get one.

If you aren't going the sbr or suppressed route 7.62x39 does have its benefits. Is an AK/AR a go to war rifle? Not yet but it sounds like a fun build.

7.62 AR uppers are becoming a real option as far as reliability with good magazines. If I didn't already have an AK for a few hundred dollars I'd get one.

If you aren't going the sbr or suppressed route 7.62x39 does have its benefits. Is an AK/AR a go to war rifle? Not yet but it sounds like a fun build.
The only problem with the 7.62x39 is you have to get Mag's for that round you can't use regular Mag's

It seems like about twice a month there is a thread asking the same question we should just have permanent thread that says for your first build you SHOULD BUILD A 5.56 AR RIFLE

I'm a big guy, 6'5" 290 lbs, and I've tried the sig brace on a buddies rifle. I didn't like it. I'm also not a fan of "normal" AR pistols with the buffer tube hanging off the back.

Reloading isn't in the cards for me at the moment, I don't have the space for it, (my house is literally 210 sq ft) and I don't personally have a rifle yet, just a Beretta 391 that I keep at my parents and my Rock Island 1911.

Getting back on topic, what's a good .223 upper for around 4-500?
Palmetto State Armory has great deals on uppers. I've bought a few and had no problems.

Unless you reload, prepare to spend some money on ammo.

Unless you're hog hunting or shooting surpressed, the 300blk is overrated. Yes, its a very handy round, but if this is your first AR, forget the 300blk.
.223/5.56 is common and cheap compared to the 300blk. Though more and more stores are carrying the 300blk.

Shooting indoors for HD is more of a pipe dream, a pistol would work best, but seeings how you're pre 21 that isnt an option. A shotgun is a lot cheaper and a whole lot more diverse ammo wise for HD.. Its just not as cool.

This early in the game, go for a 5.56 AR.. It'll save you time and money. And if HD is a huge concern, get some frangible .223 ammo..

If you find you dont like the .223 or 5.56 round, uppers always sell on forums if priced right.. So you can offset the price of your future 300blk upper by selling your used 5.56 upper.
Or save and just own both.
Thats the beauty of ARs.

I'm curious how you got the lower to begin with. FFLs can't sell them to anyone under 21.

Shooting indoors for HD is more of a pipe dream, a pistol would work best, but seeings how you're pre 21 that isnt an option.

Except in Oregon the law says 18 to own one. You just can buy one from, or transfer one through a federal dealer. A family member can legally sell, or gift a handgun to an Oregonian of voting age.

I prefer the 5.56 over the 300BLK mainly for cost and availability. It is a cool round but I have an AK pistol and rifle so no real need for one.

PSA has some great options for cheap if you watch their site.

I have the items below and love it for the price. The top one was going for 269.95 but are out of stock at the moment. They always seem to have the uppers minus the BCG and charging handle for 189.95 both had free shipping.

I have both listed below and they have at least 600 plus rounds through each with no signs of any problems.

PSA 10.5" 5.56 NATO 1/7" NITRIDE UPPER - WITH BCG & CHARGING HANDLE – 516445367 Was 269.95 when in stock
PSA 10.5" 5.56 NATO 1/7" Nitride Upper - with BCG & Charging Handle - 516445367

PSA 10.5" 5.56 LIGHTWEIGHT M-LOK SLANT 12" FREEDOM UPPER - WITH BCG AND CH – 7793347 was 349.95 when in stock
PSA 10.5" 5.56 Lightweight M-lok Slant 12" Freedom Upper - With BCG and CH - 7793347

if you still want 300 BLK

PSA 10.5" PISTOL LENGTH 300AAC 1/8 12" KEYMOD SLANT & FLASH CAN FREEDOM UPPER - NO BCG OR CH - 516445370
$299.95 free shipping then add $100 for a BCG and charging handle and you are good to go.
<broken link removed>

Just so the OP knows once you build one it never ends LOL IMAG1010.jpg the brown one is 300blk out I will pick up my NWFA LOWER for the half done one on Tuesday

I'd suggest starting with 5.56 or .223 Wylde. My preference would be Wylde.
It's cheaper to shoot and you'll have more help available to you.
I've built a 300 BLK. I love it but I built it to fill a very specific purpose. I wanted a cheap ar pattern rifle I could use for short to medium range shooting. It needed to work mainly for hunting but would work very well for defense.
Unless you're looking to fill a specific need or have "disposable income", whatever that is, I'd stay away from 300 BLK for now.
As far as manufacturers I have become a big fan of palmetto state armory.

I'm a big guy, 6'5" 290 lbs, and I've tried the sig brace on a buddies rifle. I didn't like it. I'm also not a fan of "normal" AR pistols with the buffer tube hanging off the back.

Reloading isn't in the cards for me at the moment, I don't have the space for it, (my house is literally 210 sq ft) and I don't personally have a rifle yet, just a Beretta 391 that I keep at my parents and my Rock Island 1911.

Getting back on topic, what's a good .223 upper for around 4-500?

BCM has several options at that price point for complete uppers IIRC.

Brutus Out

BCM has several options at that price point for complete uppers IIRC.

I love BCM stuff and have a couple 11.5 pistol uppers and a number of 16 in from them as well but I bought them when the BCG was only 69 with purchase of the upper now they are 169 so a basic upper is $608 with BCG, so they are great but not budget

Just thought I would point that out he said he didn't have a rifle lots of people think 223 and 5.56 are the same THERE NOT
I was somewhat aware of this but after reading more on last night I'm definitely going with a 5.56 chamber.

A 7.62x39 AR was what I was thinking originally, but everything I read said it's not very reliable and is prone to feeding problems even with dedicated mags, that's why I was looking at the .300 BO, 7.62x39 performance in an AR mag. When I get around to a 7.62x39 AR I'll do something like a RRA LAR-47.
I already have the lower so I don't need a complete rifle.

Shooting indoors for HD is more of a pipe dream, a pistol would work best, but seeings how you're pre 21 that isnt an option. A shotgun is a lot cheaper and a whole lot more diverse ammo wise for HD.. Its just not as cool.

This early in the game, go for a 5.56 AR.. It'll save you time and money. And if HD is a huge concern, get some frangible .223 ammo..

If you find you dont like the .223 or 5.56 round, uppers always sell on forums if priced right.. So you can offset the price of your future 300blk upper by selling your used 5.56 upper.
Or save and just own both.
Thats the beauty of ARs.
I actually already have a decent pistol, a Rock Island 1911, I actually have a really nice shotgun too, but it's set up for sporting clays and at my parents' house. In any case I'm more likely to be dealing with something that has 4 legs then 2 where I'm at so HD isn't that high on the list.

Just so the OP knows once you build one it never ends LOLView attachment 367612the brown one is 300blk out I will pick up my NWFA LOWER for the half done one on Tuesday
Shh don't let my wife hear that:D, I already have plans to build a long range AR in 6.5 Grendel I'm well aware of the potato chip factor of building ARs. What rail do you have on that purple one? I've got the purple hogue grip and stock coming for this build.

I'll have to have a look at PSA and BCM.

A 7.62x39 AR was what I was thinking originally, but everything I read said it's not very reliable and is prone to feeding problems even with dedicated mags
With a dremel tool you can dremel out a better feed ramp. With 7.62x39, issues can be gas, magazine, or feed ramps. Normally the last two.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top