JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I'm going to be building my first AR lower in a couple weeks, the stock, grip, and buffer tube are on their way, and now I'm having to decide what upper I'm going to put on it. I've been thinking about a .300 blackout build because of it's superiority over the .223 inside of 300 yards and it supresses well. But there's some things that have given me pause at least for the time being.

I'm under 21 so I can't build it as an SBR or order a suppressor which takes away two of the advantages BO has over .223 and I'm planning on getting a Keltec sub 2000 in .40 cal which covers a lot of the same ground the BO does, is also fairly easy to suppress down the road, weighs under 5 pounds, and can be folded so it can be stored in a smaller space (which is useful for me as I live in a tiny house so space is paramount). On top of those reasons BO is also more expensive to shoot then .40 S&W or .223 because I don't reload.

So what do you all think does it make sense for me to build a 300 BO AR now or should I get a standard .223 upper now and wait a couple years to build a 300 BO SBR later. Primary uses would be target shooting, 3 gun, home defense, and maybe some coyote hunting.

Wait a few years. 5.56/.223 will cover those needs nicely in the mean time. The only reason to go .300 BLK is if you're gonna suppress it or build a SBR IMO.

Wait a few years. 5.56/.223 will cover those needs nicely in the mean time. The only reason to go .300 BLK is if you're gonna suppress it or build a SBR IMO.
I agree with Bobo.
Your first AR build should be 5.56/.223 (.223 Wylde middy was my first scratch build)
That's what the platform was designed around and the best way to learn the platform.

Just throwing out there that you can now shoulder pistol braces...again.

Yeah, the shorter barrel does reduce a few nice features of that round, but still has a bunch of energy in the above mentioned range.

Sooo, you wouldn't technically have to go the SBR route, if that's the direction you were thinking on. Just another thought is all...

Chicks would dig the suit...

42bcc844b371fdd9b965a6f19a8693e3.jpg

Just throwing out there that you can now shoulder pistol braces...again.

Yeah, the shorter barrel does reduce a few nice features of that round, but still has a bunch of energy in the above mentioned range.

Sooo, you wouldn't technically have to go the SBR route, if that's the direction you were thinking on. Just another thought is all...
I'm a big guy, 6'5" 290 lbs, and I've tried the sig brace on a buddies rifle. I didn't like it. I'm also not a fan of "normal" AR pistols with the buffer tube hanging off the back.

IMHO....assuming that you already have a firearm that you're already using, invest in a reloading set up.

Aloha, Mark
Reloading isn't in the cards for me at the moment, I don't have the space for it, (my house is literally 210 sq ft) and I don't personally have a rifle yet, just a Beretta 391 that I keep at my parents and my Rock Island 1911.

Getting back on topic, what's a good .223 upper for around 4-500?

I'm a big guy, 6'5" 290 lbs, and I've tried the sig brace on a buddies rifle. I didn't like it. I'm also not a fan of "normal" AR pistols with the buffer tube hanging off the back.

Reloading isn't in the cards for me at the moment, I don't have the space for it, (my house is literally 210 sq ft) and I don't personally have a rifle yet, just a Beretta 391 that I keep at my parents and my Rock Island 1911.

Getting back on topic, what's a good .223 upper for around 4-500?
If you want to buy a upper and barrel and forend already put together you will pay that much but if you buy the part's separate and put them together your self you can do it cheaper and .... get a 5.56 barrel if you get one for 223 only you can't fire 5.56 in it

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top