JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Honest question - Do not have many Glocks in my safe. Does Glock update their pistols or do they just create a new pistol (adding optic cuts don't count)? They all look alike and all have the same controls on every line(personally I hate the take down tabs) and think like Henry Ford ...everything in black! Plus their numbering system has no regularity to it, but then that's me.

Don't hate Glocks but I don't hate the Amish either. Both create wll made items, both they are both plain

My 2cents

While Glocks have had minor changes, the basic design has not changed. Older models had two frame pins which proved inadequate for .40 S&W which was updated to three pins, likewise with the original recoil spring/guide rod assembly was update starting on the 4th gen. They was an extractor chance, the older were flat and prone to breakage, it has been updated and can be ID'ed by the notch cut which also serves as a loaded chamber indicator. And of course the 5th gen was updated with ambi controls.

While Glocks have had minor changes, the basic design has not changed. Older models had two frame pins which proved inadequate for .40 S&W which was updated to three pins, likewise with the original recoil spring/guide rod assembly was update starting on the 4th gen. They was an extractor chance, the older were flat and prone to breakage, it has been updated and can be ID'ed by the notch cut which also serves as a loaded chamber indicator. And of course the 5th gen was updated with ambi controls.
I could do without the ambi controls. This is coming from a LH shooter. Luckily Kagwerks makes an ideal slide lock.

I always ran gen3 and gen4s. When I got a gen5 I noticed that due to my grip I would force the slide stop down keeping it from locking open on the last round. Kagwerks fixed that problem.

As a lefty myself, I find I naturally use the right handed slide lock anyway since I'm so used to them. I appreciate having the ambi option, though

As a lefty myself, I find I naturally use the right handed slide lock anyway since I'm so used to them. I appreciate having the ambi option, though
Love this set up as far as slide lock goes.

IMG_2632.jpeg

Honest question - Do not have many Glocks in my safe. Does Glock update their pistols or do they just create a new pistol (adding optic cuts don't count)? They all look alike and all have the same controls on every line(personally I hate the take down tabs) and think like Henry Ford ...everything in black! Plus their numbering system has no regularity to it, but then that's me.

Don't hate Glocks but I don't hate the Amish either. Both create wll made items, both they are both plain

My 2cents
I'm with you on the takedown tabs - they're not that hard to manage, but I definitely prefer a simple lever takedown. Aside from that, I love Glocks. They are simple, reliable, and effective - everything a defensive pistol should be.

Other than bells and whistles, why would they need to update? The pistols work, there is a massive aftermarket for parts..
to sink money into R&D, moulds, CNC..etc all in order to change their entire design on a risk to appeal to the novelty buyer isn't their bread and butter.

I'm not a massive Glock fan either, but I don't at all expect them to change it up drastically.
Glocks are great boring workhorses (like ARs) If I want unique beauty, I'd pick something else.

Unlike the VW Beetle, I don't think you can swap parts between the different Generations all that easily?
Well, my comparison was a little sloppy but good enough as a generalization re. the enduring basic design.

I think my Glock 19 is a Gen 3, but I've never changed any parts on it. I added a butt plug to fill the hole in the grip, and I added a finger extension to the magazine, that was it. I invested in a spare recoil spring assy. but haven't had to use it yet. At one time, I had a Glock 23, and to it I fitted an extended magazine release. That was a good upgrade. I may do that with the 19, it will help with my arthritic fingers.

When I was a little boy, I used to marvel at my Aunt Pearl's hands. With the knotty knuckles and mallet fingers. Now I've got them. A doctor told me he could fuse one of my fingers, I told him, "Skip it, I'll be dead in a few years and then it won't matter."

I could do without the ambi controls. This is coming from a LH shooter. Luckily Kagwerks makes an ideal slide lock.
@1775usmc

How do you keep the Kagwerks from scratching the slide?

I tried to run one on a Gen 4 G22 I had. Pulled if off before I even finished one magazine because was scratching the slide finish.

@1775usmc

How do you keep the Kagwerks from scratching the slide?

I tried to run one on a Gen 4 G22 I had. Pulled if off before I even finished one magazine because was scratching the slide finish.
It scratches the slide. I just don't care about cosmetics.

I recall when Gaston Glock first introduced the model 17, came in with a storm of protest by the gun grabbers.
Yeah, "Die Hard" gun grabbers were especially pissed-off about the model "Seven" and it's porcelain construction ..... wouldn't set-off metal detectors. 🤣

(Geeze, I crack myself up.)

On a serious note, it is one of the few firearms I own that I can completely disassemble and reassemble (not just field strip) with just ONE SIMPLE TOOL (except for the sights and striker channel liner). I can even pop off Glock mag bases with the punch tool (it's easier than you think).

Cheers.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews