JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I was hunting the Owyhee unit this year. One day on Mahogany Moutain I decided to take a break and have a seat on a rock that overlooked a little canyon. After about five minutes I heard what sounded like a rock being knocked loose by a hoof. Of course, when I am out there every sound I hear must have been made by a deer or elk in my mind, I get excited. Looking in the direction the sound came from I saw nothing. Being bored, having a 12x scope, and not yet feeling like getting up and walking further I decided to lay down and scope it.

And there they were. Seven deer working their way down toward me, but also up the other side of the canyon. They were too far away to see any antlers. After what seemed like forever they got close enough for me to see that there was a buck with them. Laying there waiting for the right shot became one of the most frustrating things I have ever done. There was a doe in front, two on one side, a doe and fawn on the other, and one in the rear. All surrounding the buck! If he took two steps, they took two steps, if he stopped they stopped. There was NO way to get a clear shot! These ladys were good. They were almost to the top of the other side, and I knew if they made it I was done. Finally, the buck decided they weren't moving fast enough for his taste and swung around behind them and began to push. It was tough to calm my nerves and not think about the fact that I may only have seconds to make the shot. He turned just enough to give me a good quartering away angle, and I took advantage. It hit just behind the ribs and went straight through to his opposite shoulder and he dropped. My .270 winchester bullet was sitting just under the skin.

Nice little 3x2 from 357 yards for my first buck. Couldn't have dreamed it any better. I am now hooked.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top