JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Time to add mulch to my front yard, I don't think any amount had been added for the last 4 years under previous owner and most of it had decomposed.

When looking at mulch, I see that there are wood mulch and also rubber mulch, which is interesting to me. A look at Youtube says that they are a superior choice vs the traditional wood mulch except for cost. Has anyone used rubber mulch and will you recommend it?

Thanks.

RUBBER MULCH?!?!?!?! Omg. You should water it in with diesel fuel. I'm no tree hugger, "Greenie" hippy type, but that just seems wrong to me.

Get ahold of some of your local tree companies. A lot of them are happy to get rid of trees they've taken down and chipped. Likely you could get good organic mulch for free. Only catch is, I think, is you don't get to choose what type of tree chips.

RUBBER MULCH?!?!?!?! Omg. You should water it in with diesel fuel. I'm no tree hugger, "Greenie" hippy type, but that just seems wrong to me.

Get ahold of some of your local tree companies. A lot of them are happy to get rid of trees they've taken down and chipped. Likely you could get good organic mulch for free. Only catch is, I think, is you don't get to choose what type of tree chips.

I think they are just shredded tires dyed brown.

I know someone who used similar for their driveway instead of gravel. Was a smooth "road" but I can't say I've seen a rubber yard before. If I were to go that route, I'd want to be darn sure it's what I wanted because you probably can't just mix it into the dirt or wait for it to decompose of you change your mind. That and I personally enjoy spreading new mulch every year or two. Really freshens things up

I have "watered" my lawn with gasoline if that helps. :D
That was last year when I was dealing with moles, there were tons of tunnels in the yard so whenever I find an one I'll pour a bunch of gasoline into it to discourage the moles from using those. It forces them to dig new ones which I then trapped and caught 2. So far mole free, keeping my fingers crossed.

I know someone who used similar for their driveway instead of gravel. Was a smooth "road" but I can't say I've seen a rubber yard before. If I were to go that route, I'd want to be darn sure it's what I wanted because you probably can't just mix it into the dirt or wait for it to decompose of you change your mind. That and I personally enjoy spreading new mulch every year or two. Really freshens things up

Thanks, something I'll have to think about. The rubber mulch will be more or less permanent, I think I'll try it o the backyard on a patch of old mulch which is pretty much gone, use to be overgrown with weeds until I nuked the patch with a herbicide concentration that will make me a felon for breaking federal laws. :D

I have "watered" my lawn with gasoline if that helps. :D
That was last year when I was dealing with moles, there were tons of tunnels in the yard so whenever I find an one I'll pour a bunch of gasoline into it to discourage the moles from using those. It forces them to dig new ones which I then trapped and caught 2. So far mole free, keeping my fingers crossed.
I knew a guy who used hotdogs soaked in antifreeze. Seemed to work pretty well for him.

Does the rubber mulch cause problems? Or do they work as advertised in that they last a long time? Thanks.
Seems to work as advertised. Rubber lasts a long time, but after about 5 years of brushing 3-4 times a year and pressure washing every spring, the rubber seems to disappear and the lawn just kinda looks flat. Adding a little rubber makes it look better.

Time to add mulch to my front yard, I don't think any amount had been added for the last 4 years under previous owner and most of it had decomposed.

When looking at mulch, I see that there are wood mulch and also rubber mulch, which is interesting to me. A look at Youtube says that they are a superior choice vs the traditional wood mulch except for cost. Has anyone used rubber mulch and will you recommend it?

Thanks.
We have some out front of our condo in a small space next to our porch walkway and it has worked great. It's heavy so it rarely blows out of the area we placed it in. The neighbor cats don't like it so they have quit pooping there. It even survives the landscape guys with their blowers.

We have some out front of our condo in a small space next to our porch walkway and it has worked great. It's heavy so it rarely blows out of the area we placed it in. The neighbor cats don't like it so they have quit pooping there. It even survives the landscape guys with their blowers.

Cool. This sounds promising.

It does get expensive but it works great and lasts a long time.

I generally spend $300 or so on bark a year and it only lasts about 3-4 months before it looks like crap again.
It would have cost about $1000-$1200 to do my whole front and side yard.

we've been here 8 years so it would have been way cheaper.
Were in process of selling so it doesn't make sense now, but I would go the rubber route if I was staying

As a dude who's family owns a compost facility and bark yard..

No, rubber mulch is terrible!

In reality, its probably great until you decide to change your mind and put something organic down and have to clean/rake it all up. Also, the rubber that makes it in the lawn and gets mowed up and put in the yard debris recycling container makes its way to composting facilities like ours and pollutes the product that we produce. Then again, none of that is your problem at that point :p

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top