JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Mostly due to personal budgeting reasons I have dramatically reduced my consumption over the last month. To reinforce this behavior, I am looking at the benefits this will provide for the planet as well as my wallet. I am not going to go AOC on you guys but would like to inspire others to buy less and use less too.

At this point I have mostly focused on cutting back on firearm related spending and groceries. I made a budget that accounts for every dollar before it is spent. In the budget, I allowed for about 23% of my take home income to be spent on personal consumption, including, fuel, groceries, personal care, clothing, entertainment, etc. I am hoping to get by each month without spending the entire 23%.

When I have to buy hard goods or clothing, I will search for private party sources before hitting up retail stores.

If you have reduced your consumption in your life, why did you do it and what did you cut back on?

Sounds stressful. I prefer to buy stuff that actually works for me when I need it rather than search the world over for that perfect deal that fits within some fantasy budget.

That doesn't require you to be a endless consumer or throw frugality into the wind, but if I need something, I'm going to get what I want and what I know is likely to last, not something because it's cheap and then needs replacement again in a short amount of time.

For example; my every day wear pants. I found a pair of Kuhl brand pants that work best for me. I like the pocket layout, the fit is perfect and they last. They are ~$90/pair. Not cheap, by any means, but I bought 5 pairs ~8 years ago and they still haven't had to be replaced. I was wearing Dickies before and had to replace them every 1-2 years. I don't remember what they cost, but probably in the $30-40 range. That's pretty damn good value from the Kuhl pants.

Being conscious of your consumption and output is commendable and should be taken into consideration. I see you get sucked into cycles of penny pinching and endless self-help projects. Are you REALLY going to stick with this? Much like people and their New Years resolutions, somehow I think it will be long forgotten in a couple months. What have you done to resolve that problem? That's the first thing you need to work on, IMHO.

I learned early on not to spend more than I earned. The only debt I took on was for business purposes, and then no more than I could pay off by selling business assets.

My wife and I keep savings available for various purposes. A reserve for living expenses and emergencies, another for "targets of opportunity" (TOO) items that I will buy if the price is right (like firearms), and another for travel and entertainment.

My wife likes to travel. I don't. She often goes on trips with her friends, sisters, nieces and nephews, kids, and grandkids. We budget so there is plenty of money for this. I travel with her once a year, and stay home the rest of the time. We rarely eat out or go out for entertainment, so this is just a different way of spending for entertainment. Neither of us smokes, drinks, or uses drugs. We don't go to Starbucks either. We heat with wood from our own property.

My stepdaughter decided to go to work after her youngest got old enough to take care of herself after school. We used TOO money to finance her getting a Real Estate license. She has done extremely well, and giving her the opportunity to succeed is a high point for me. We supported her younger sister to get a nursing degree. We supported both of our (second family) kids through college. We helped out grandkids with education when needed. These were all important investments.

My wife and I both had role models (parents, grandparents, and great-grandparents) who were hard working, resourceful, frugal, and family-oriented. We have tried, with significant success, to pass these traits on to our descendants. We would rather do this than have a cup of fancy coffee.

Jay and Bob F-ed up my budget this month so there is that. Always good to reduce debt. I don't carry any cc balances or have any debt atm.

I've significantly downsized my "stuff" and the acquisition of stuff.

Several years ago I went through the craptastic process of cleaning out my mom's place...in various stages...as she progressed with Alzheimers and moved from her condo, into assisted living, into Alzheimers care and then ultimately passed. May she rest in peace.

This is pretty common event that most people will go through at some point in their lives...cleaning out the home of a loved one after they're gone. If you haven't done this yet, man does it ever drive home the notion of, "you can't take it with you." Very little of it gets saved/kept. Most is sold, given away/donated, or simply thrown out. It has forever changed the way I look at "stuff," and how much stuff you need to be happy. I can't buy anything at this point without doing an assessment of, "is this something I really need and/or is it just one more piece of crap someone is going to have to go through and figure out what to do with it when I die?"

Sounds stressful. I prefer to buy stuff that actually works for me when I need it rather than search the world over for that perfect deal that fits within some fantasy budget.

That doesn't require you to be a endless consumer or throw frugality into the wind, but if I need something, I'm going to get what I want and what I know is likely to last, not something because it's cheap and then needs replacement again in a short amount of time.

For example; my every day wear pants. I found a pair of Kuhl brand pants that work best for me. I like the pocket layout, the fit is perfect and they last. They are ~$90/pair. Not cheap, by any means, but I bought 5 pairs ~8 years ago and they still haven't had to be replaced. I was wearing Dickies before and had to replace them every 1-2 years. I don't remember what they cost, but probably in the $30-40 range. That's pretty damn good value from the Kuhl pants.

Being conscious of your consumption and output is commendable and should be taken into consideration. I see you get sucked into cycles of penny pinching and endless self-help projects. Are you REALLY going to stick with this? Much like people and their New Years resolutions, somehow I think it will be long forgotten in a couple months. What have you done to resolve that problem? That's the first thing you need to work on, IMHO.
Sticking with "it" is the key and something that I will always be working on.

Edit: I am trying a different angle this time by adding in concern for the environment. As a society we produce, use and discard a lot of unnecessary stuff. I'll be limiting my purchases of virgin produced crap that I don't need. That should ease the burden on my budget and help the environment at the same time. I frequently justified buying stuff by thinking that I was helping the economy by adding to the GDP. At this point in my life, I am saying f... the GDP. My life is over the half way point now. It's time to let others worry about expanding the GDP. For me personally I want to focus on my well-being and help to ease the burden on the planet.

Last Edited:

Several years ago I went through the craptastic process of cleaning out my mom's place...in various stages...as she progressed with Alzheimers and moved from her condo, into assisted living, into Alzheimers care and then ultimately passed. May she rest in peace.

This is pretty common event that most people will go through at some point in their lives...cleaning out the home of a loved one after they're gone. If you haven't done this yet, man does it ever drive home the notion of, "you can't take it with you." Very little of it gets saved/kept. Most is sold, given away/donated, or simply thrown out. It has forever changed the way I look at "stuff," and how much stuff you need to be happy. I can't buy anything at this point without doing an assessment of, "is this something I really need and/or is it just one more piece of crap someone is going to have to go through and figure out what to do with it when I die?"
I am beginning to share your views. I will be in the same boat one of these days with my mom. She still lives in the house I grew up in. And it is packed with stuff.

This video is one landfill in one location. You can imagine how many of these there are around the planet.

While most of us really like a good deal on something....

Something is really only a good deal , if you have an actual use for it.

As far as buy less , use less...
I enjoy reading and have many , many books.
However...shelf space is limited.
So....
I have narrowed down my collection..to what is of specific interest to me.
As opposed to keeping books that sparked an interest but haven't kept that interest.
Buying and trading used books is also a way of buying and using less.

In regards to firearms...
Again I have narrowed my focus , to what is of important interest and of actual use.

Doing both with books and firearms is at times difficult , to be honest.
I love both....both have meanings to me , that go beyond what is commonly held as reasons why to own them.
However...that focus or narrowing is also of benefit...so that is I try to keep that in mind when at a used bookstore or gun show... :D
Andy

I feel like a real spendthrift, after seeing this family of five living on $1500 a month.

I am going to stay on the spend less wagon for the remainder of the year. I will save the Black Friday deals for you guys.

Oh boy! Father in Law just left us, his Wife had gone less than a year before. Couple weeks of several of the kids going through the home, everyone deciding what they wanted, still ended up with a HUGE bunch of "stuff" so they had a two day estate sale. Did sell a ton of stuff but still then had to haul a LOT of stuff to the damn dump to get the house cleaned out. It was one hell of a lot of work.

Wife and I have been doing well stacking cash but the last month or so has been a cluster of expenses, SUV radiator took a dump, wife's brakes done, now wife's radiator is in need of replacement and the lawn mower I have been piecing together is being replaced. Doing the auto repair myself has still cost hundreds.

Two radiators in a month? I mean wha da eff?

Cut back because we don't want to be poor.
Switched to cash only for all food, $500 per month savings starting in June.

Last Edited:
I think you've got it backwards, you should use less and therefore buy less. In my household right now it's fresh fruit and produce season and we both just love it all so are tempted to buy a bushel basket full at a time. It all just looks so good. And then it spoils and gets thrown out. We figured out that what we like is today fresh so that's what we buy, one large ear of bodacious sweet corn and a local grown Ribeye with picked today Peaches for desert. Just enough for today and no leftovers or waste. We also plan our consumption longer term like if we smoke or cook a bigger amount of meat like a Ham or 10 lbs of Chicken quarters we eat it as is to start with and then turn it into something else like sandwiches and casseroles and finally soup. A hot bowl of savory homemade soup with some crusty bread is pretty awesome on a been outside all day cold winter day.

I think you've got it backwards, you should use less and therefore buy less. In my household right now it's fresh fruit and produce season and we both just love it all so are tempted to buy a bushel basket full at a time. It all just looks so good. And then it spoils and gets thrown out.
Have you tried dried fruit? Its of course not as good as fresh but I love the stuff. Makes a nice snack that has got to be better than some of the other "snack" stuff I indulge in :D
It is a lot of work but the dryer's are FAR cheaper than they used to be to make the stuff. The same machines will make jerky too for those who like that. The homemade is VERY damn good.

Have you tried dried fruit? Its of course not as good as fresh but I love the stuff. Makes a nice snack that has got to be better than some of the other "snack" stuff I indulge in :D
It is a lot of work but the dryer's are FAR cheaper than they used to be to make the stuff. The same machines will make jerky too for those who like that. The homemade is VERY damn good.
I do eat dried fruit when fresh is out of season.

Wife and I have been doing well stacking cash but the last month or so has been a cluster of expenses, SUV radiator took a dump, wife's brakes done, now wife's radiator is in need of replacement and the lawn mower I have been piecing together is being replaced. Doing the auto repair myself has still cost hundreds.

Two radiators in a month? I mean wha da eff?

Cut back because we don't want to be poor.
Switched to cash only for all food, $500 per month savings starting in June.
I am looking at using cash only for groceries. It's too easy to overspend when using a debit card.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top