JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
BTW I went ahead and used rubber mulch I bought from the local Lowes in the front yard. If you're used to regular organic mulch, the rubber mulch will look weird as it looks nothing like wood mulch. If you ask me, they look more like jagged pieces of gravel instead. So if you have areas that are organic mulch now and if you won't mind replacing it with gravel, the rubber mulch can be a good and cheaper alternative.

There is one major consideration for me, something that I had to really think about before moving forward. As part of my weed removal plan for my front yard that includes a large gravel patch, I was thinking of getting one of those propane weed burner because like face it, its heck a lot more fun than spraying herbicides. :D

With the rubber mulch though, I won't be able to use it in areas close to the rubber mulch in case they catch fire and start burning with toxic fumes, stinking up the neighborhood. So its back to the tried and true herbicides.

Grimm does make a good point of the rubber mulch potentially polluting the yard waste if they get mowed up with the lawn mower. I'll have to pay extra attention when mowing close to the rubber mulch area. One other person in another forum also told me that the rubber mulch will totally F up your reel mower blade if they get caught it, again something I will have to watch out for.

As a dude who's family owns a compost facility and bark yard..

No, rubber mulch is terrible!

In reality, its probably great until you decide to change your mind and put something organic down and have to clean/rake it all up. Also, the rubber that makes it in the lawn and gets mowed up and put in the yard debris recycling container makes its way to composting facilities like ours and pollutes the product that we produce. Then again, none of that is your problem at that point :p

@Grimm if your name indicates you are of the Grimm's fuel company we bought a lot of your bark mulch growing up and you are responsible for me spending many hours every summer shoveling, wheel barrowing and raking said bark mulch. That was early 90's through early 2000's.

@Grimm if your name indicates you are of the Grimm's fuel company we bought a lot of your bark mulch growing up and you are responsible for me spending many hours every summer shoveling, wheel barrowing and raking said bark mulch. That was early 90's through early 2000's.
Haha sorry dude! Just think of how much it taught you about hard work and sacrifice ;)

Don't use rubber, it never goes away.

Especially when it gets spread into the wrong areas. This is where bark, chips etc benefits. Not only does the bark smother, but it helps retain moisture and if spread out accidentally it doesn't stay there permanently.

I'm about to have another load of mulch delivered to my house so I can add more. I add about every 3 years.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top