JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Welding small/medium art projects at home (MIG and oxy/acetylene), I've often thought it would be fun to have a plasma cutter. But alas, that's just another gadget that would jam up my packed garage even more - and I'd want/need an electrical circuit with higher volts/amps.

My buddy has offered space to set one up at his house where he was 110/220V and 40A in a big shop - right next to a work table and a big, high-psi compressor. I really don't mind spending a couple hundred bucks on a light-duty cutter to leave at his place. Yet another reason to hang out and enjoy beers once a week and cut a few custom pieces for my projects.

I don't need pro-grade-earn-my-living type gear. Light-duty, occasional use describes my requirements - probably 10mm (max) steel plate, shovel heads and scrap. Friend's use would be minimal, too.

I see ads for (approx.) $200 dual voltage plasma cutters on the internet. Seems reasonable, but I don't want to buy Brand X and wish I got Y or Z instead. Anybody here have one they love? Or hate? Open to suggestions. Thanks for looking.

Last Edited:
I bought a Yeswelder Cut-55DS one from Amazon a couple years ago. Works fine for cutting through steel & aluminum with a small compressor. Uses standard consumables and is a pilot-arc start. So far, has worked every time I've needed it.

I bought a Lotos LTP5000D a number of years ago. It has worked fine, with no problems. It runs on 240V, and I power it with a 30 amp circuit. Generic consumables are quite reasonably priced on Ebay. It cuts 1/4" steel quite well, and I think 3/8" is possible, but will be slow and leave a rough edge.

Last Edited:

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

Back Top