JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I used to only use debit card for most thing including groceries. However, I switched to credit card when they started giving cash back rewards.
You have to be responsible and realize that money does not grow on trees and you have to pay the CC off every month. (someone please explain this fact to my wife). I get 2% cash back on groceries. It adds up over time. I get 3% for on line charges. I put my utilities onto my CC and it gets that reward. I upgraded to the executive membership at Costco. While it cost more for the membership fees, I get 2% back and they send me a check once a year. It is enough to cover the cost of the membership fees. This only works if you are able to pay your CC off every month. Otherwise the interest rates will eat you alive. I learned this the hard way when I was younger.

I used to only use debit card for most thing including groceries. However, I switched to credit card when they started giving cash back rewards.
You have to be responsible and realize that money does not grow on trees and you have to pay the CC off every month. (someone please explain this fact to my wife). I get 2% cash back on groceries. It adds up over time. I get 3% for on line charges. I put my utilities onto my CC and it gets that reward. I upgraded to the executive membership at Costco. While it cost more for the membership fees, I get 2% back and they send me a check once a year. It is enough to cover the cost of the membership fees. This only works if you are able to pay your CC off every month. Otherwise the interest rates will eat you alive. I learned this the hard way when I was younger.
This is why so many banks will offer the points. Few use them well. Works for me. I use a few CC's as a checking account. Everything is paid with them. Which one just depends on who is offering the best deal. Pay them when the bill comes and its great. LOT of people do not and the banks make BIG money off that. Last two cars we bought the dealership allowed us to pay 3K of it on a card no charge. So I of course did so just for the points. The last one we bought I was kind of shocked how easy it was to use a debit card for the rest. After we picked out the car I thought we would have to go to the bank and get a check for them. Guy said we could put 3 K on a credit card and most banks would let us pay the rest on debit and they added nothing to do it. So Wife called the one bank, on a Sunday, told them what we were trying to do. The person just said have them try to run the card for the amount, it will be declined, you will get a message on your phone saying is this you trying to make this buy. You say yes they run the card again and it will go. So we tried, charge was over 30K and it went just as they said it would. Kind of scary that they would let that much go on a debit transaction but I guess they felt safe since it was being double verified. Still kind of shocked me we could do that.

I am going to start getting really stingy with my discretionary spending and I'm aiming for a $1400 to $1500 total monthly budget for average monthly expenses. I realize that is just a truck and insurance payment for some of you hard working, highly motivated folks. I thank you for your service to our economy.

I have participated in a lot of earning and spending over the past 3+ decades of my life but now, I am a borderline senior citizen. It's time to start planning a slowdown.

Inflation will be a hurdle but severely cutting back on spending should insulate me from most of the inflation impacts on my budget.

How many folks here have substantially cut back their spending because of the recent "transitory" inflationary period, age, job losses, etc? What areas did you target first?

Last Edited:
How many folks here have substantially cut back their spending because of the recent "transitory" inflationary period, age, job losses, etc? What areas did you target first?
I've quit buying firearms, period. Part of it is that they're much harder to sell used with Oregon bgc laws and much tougher to get your money back on. The other part is even though I'm making more than ever I just don't have the budget and can't justify the expense. My kids don't seem at all interested in them either so it'll be a burden for them when I'm gone. I haven't been laid off, but many of my coworkers have and that reminds me not to stretch my neck out too far on a "good deal". My biggest expense now is gas beyond a mortgage and one car payment. I live really close to work but the cost per gallon is outrageous. I've stopped all unnecessary travel, even to town.

I've quit buying firearms, period. Part of it is that they're much harder to sell used with Oregon bgc laws and much tougher to get your money back on. The other part is even though I'm making more than ever I just don't have the budget and can't justify the expense. My kids don't seem at all interested in them either so it'll e a burden for them when I'm gone. I haven't been laid off, but many of my coworkers have it and that reminds me not to stretch my neck out too far on a "good deal". My biggest expense now is gas beyond a mortgage and one car payment. I live really close to work but the cost per gallon is outrageous. I've stopped all unnecessary travel, even to town.
Fuel prices are crazy and will likely only get worse. I think the $2 a gallon days are long gone. I drive an older Corolla which gets pretty decent mileage but filling up still bothers me. I can't imagine how those with trucks and large SUVs handle it.

Fuel prices are crazy and will likely only get worse. I think the $2 a gallon days are long gone. I drive an older Corolla which gets pretty decent mileage but filling up still bothers me. I can't imagine how those with trucks and large SUVs handle it.
Remember one thing. The cost of gas was voted for. If people decide they want it to be $2 a gallon again it would be easy to do, they would just have to vote for it.

We have two newer Jeeps and one older sedan that gets double the mileage. Guess which one gets used.......

Wife and I have cut back more than substantially,

Guns and ammo - cut back to zero spending
Discretionary items - cut back to near zero
Food - cut out $500 per month and almost no eating out
Fuel - we drive to work and some errands, no road trips as of late, Gasoline bill is still outrageous.

Every dollar is budgeted and accounted for.

Is anybody here buying more, compared to three years ago?
My house is buying substantially less.
I am buying a lot more firearms than three years ago but less ammo and reloading components. I have been eating out less and making fewer cabin trips the last few years. As for our household in general, we are spending about the same overall.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top