JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Part of it could be that the people with money in the Portland area, are against guns or have enough money to shut down the ones putting in for permits.
Its seems like there are plenty of gun owners in Multnomah county but obviously not the majority... Ive thought of that theory actually but what about Washington County?

Politicians controlling permits. Dirty politicians is the only answer I can think of that makes any sense.

I would actually like to talk to the owners of Safefire in Camas. It would be cool to know how many hoops they had to jump through to get open.

We live amongst some large forests, so the perceived need is much less I think.

True, but we also have almost no developed public shooting ranges either.

It also rains pretty bad 8 months of the year, Id think an indoor range would be a money maker here even in Portland.

Well, you'd need a place to build it... which would be expensive in Portland now-days.
There are vast tracks of public land that are entirely under funded and dependent upon volunteer work to sustain their operation. Which I assume is why so few developed shooting sites exist.
There are certain advantages to being in a club, such as security for one.
I also consider shooting indoors to be obnoxious, but I should practice that for home defense reasons. Probably going to be shooting my pistol for home defense, how my dad taught me, so an indoor skeet range would not be necessary for that and there are plenty of indoor pistol ranges.
I'd probably love shooting inside for keeping my guns away from the weather, but otherwise weather doesn't bother me. It's what happens when you're born into this climate, you just go out in it and try to stay on the east slope of a high hill.

Open one up and I'll try it out, beyond that I can promise nothing.

Well they also have a 3D tactical simulation range, $30 a person.

It gets pretty cold and harsh outdoors in winter round here...

Maybe us Oregonians are just more hardier than the rest of the country. Screw those fancy heated indoor ranges, well just step outside anytime a little cold and rain only makes ya stronger....

Honestly its all I know actually.

I've put up at 10x10 pop up canopy in the pouring rain and dead of winter and sat in a camping chair to load mags and shoot off a fold up table - never saw a single soul up in the boondocks and had a great time shooting.

Sounds like fun to me. Canopies are good for shade in the summer too...

The downside is buying, storing and maintaining all the extra gear. Canopy, folding table, rifle vise, laser range finder, spotting scope, 2 or 3 target stands, targets.... And if you forget anything your screwed you cant just fall back on renting from the club. There is also a good hour of setup and breakdown, not including picking up your brass.

well just step outside anytime a little cold and rain only makes ya stronger....
Yep - been doing it a long time myself - see the campfire!
IMG_0243[1].JPG

Dude that does not sound like fun. o_O

With 2 people, or 3 max, it is a great time.

The guns cool off fast and when we get a break in the rain we just run out and put up 20-30 targets and potatoes everywhere and get back to the shelter.

When it's pouring we just reload mags and shoot the breeze till it's typical PNW west side weather.

Sounds like fun to me. Canopies are good for shade in the summer too...

The downside is buying, storing and maintaining all the extra gear. Canopy, folding table, rifle vise, laser range finder, spotting scope, 2 or 3 target stands, targets.... And if you forget anything your screwed you cant just fall back on renting from the club. There is also a good hour of setup and breakdown, not including picking up your brass.

True. It is more involved then going to the range but it is a great time so it's worth it every now and then - especially if you have kids or new shooters. They see anything other then a bulls eye on paper as a fail.

They hit a potatoe and blow it to bits and there is a lot more excitement imo. Or steel too.

True. It is more involved then going to the range but it is a great time so it's worth it every now and then - especially if you have kids or new shooters. They see anything other then a bulls eye on paper as a fail.

They hit a potatoe and blow it to bits and there is a lot more excitement imo. Or steel too.

Yup its good to be independant. To add to the positives you dont have to deal with the restrictions needed in private clubs, you can do more practical training drills beyond stationary positions. And its easier to introduce new shooters to that too.

At the range all you can do is stand in one spot, and the simualtors use fake guns not your own. The additional cost can discourage new shooters from wanting to learn more.

Joining COSSA was a stretch for me but part of it was a friend in Bend wanted to so I went to the orientation with him and joined - I'll use it - probably not as much as him as he is really into long distance rifle (and it's closer for him) but I will occasionally but largely in part it will be in the woods for me. However I could not ever foresee myself joining something like in the OP. Way too 'sanitary' most likely more than I would want to spend for what I would 'get' out of it. The nice thing about COSSA is even though it is technically a 'membership' organization other than the great facilities it is all outdoor and rural and has a very laid back feel with few restrictions with most having to do with cleanliness and safety.

Last Edited:
There is this little slice of heaven near Morro Bay, CA.

The target at the top of the hill toward the right is just under 400 yds. To the left on the other hill (red arrow) there are some set up at 700 yds.

170803_084418cas.jpg

After we worked our way up the hill we said what the heck and tried 700. Hopefully you can see two hits from the Tikka on the silhouette target. It was early morning with very little wind. The kids put two more on it but I couldn't hold the camera steady enough to get a picture.

I'm not sure if the dueling tree is just there for laughs or what.

170803_093354cs.jpg

This is the pistol side.

170803_105758c2s.jpg

I can't even imagine what a better range than this would be like. The folks that run it are amazingly friendly and helpful. Best day ever.

Maybe us Oregonians are just more hardier than the rest of the country. Screw those fancy heated indoor ranges, well just step outside anytime a little cold and rain only makes ya stronger....

Honestly its all I know actually.
Yeah, that's what I tell "outtastaters" then when they complain I tell them if they don't like it, go home! BAHAHAHA

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals
Sweet Home, OR
Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top