JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
Well it's all reversible;) but it will be a little bit of a read.

So I prep for food, water, TP, dog food, guns and ammo etc.

Until a couple years ago I was missing a huge piece of what I needed and that was being healthy.

I watched videos about it, had friends tell me about it and still just kept putting it off for every reason I could come up with.

I'm willing to bet there are more then a few of you that are most likely in the same boat - If not then this may be redundant reading:D.

So, first off a shortend history of my last few years to set the stage...

My last job was downsized in 2010 and I found myself stressed and out a carrier that I had expected to get me to retirement.

I got sick and after a lot of debate my wife went back to school.

I stayed sick and found that carbs (bread or sugar) was something I could eat and not upset my stomach, so I started living on them.

I gained a bunch of weight, lost a bunch of muscle and busted a knee just before I tried to go back to work.

8 months later, with a lot of people helping, I was employed.

It happened to be maintenance at a gym so the rubber floors are good for my knee and being around fitness types got me back into trying to get fit.

I still lived off of sweet tea and simple carbs to get thru the days (this was 2017).

My doctor would always tell me that I was 'pre-diabetic' and to eat better but 1+1 never equaled 2 in my head so I kept doing what was working without much thought given to it.

Fast forward to April 2018 and finally my numbers pushed me well over the line and I was called and told I was now a type 2 diabetic with an A1c number at 8.6 (above 6.9 being diabetic) AND my cholesterol was thru the roof. I was prescribed metformen(sp?) and a cholesterol medication.

Honestly I was crushed (even though I knew it ran in my family).

With help from people I work with I started a new nutrition plan and started working out. I put off taking new meds after talking with my doctor about my efforts at work.

4 months later and my cholesterol was way better then normal and my A1c was 7.6! That was great but it wasn't good still and I grew complacent.

December 2018 and my A1c had gone up to 7.8...

I realized what I was doing was not sustainable and I was living for my next cheat meal every 2 weeks. I was constantly hungry and got out of bed motivated by food.

In the middle of March 2019 I started down the Ketosis path after a lot of research and decided I would give it a shot - even though high fats tended to upset my gut in the past.

To my surprise it actually was doing ok. Not only did it expand my food options but I saw immediate results in my fasting glucose levels.

That was enough to keep me on it. I have only lost a little weight but I have gained a bunch of muscle and feel better then I have in so long that I can't remember.

I tested my A1c the other day and it was 6.1 - under 7.0 so I am no longer a type 2 diabetic and am very close to being out of the pre-diabetic range (under 5.7).

Now, this is not a everyone should be Keto thread. Even though that's what worked for me I know there is no one size fits all solution.

It is a "You don't have to stay on pills and just keep gaining weight and getting worse" (insulin triggers fat storage) like a lot of doctors will tell you.

I'm no expert but I can tell you to drop the carbs, sugars and processed foods out of your life and start cooking food with whole foods without the starches.

***But xxx tastes so good, I can't give that up!!!!

Yes, you can if you want the results. If not then at least be honest about the fact it may well lead to health complications sooner rather then later.

It was overwhelming to start but I dove in and it's now just a lifestyle my family and I live. The longer I go without carbs the easier it has gotten and I no longer crave food even while eating tasty meals.

I want to be around for a long time and I feel like that's a doable goal now.

If your curious about Keto then I would highly recommend:

Dr Ken Berry
Or
Dr Berg

Both can be found on YouTube to make it easy. Do your own research.

I also started a thread:

Keto recipes?

That has some of the week by week stuff I had to go thru and others experiences. As well as some opinions for both pro and cons.

I hope this helps some of you to stop procrastinating and change your lifestyle in a positive way cuz things don't seem to be getting better in the world and it doesn't look like that's going to change anytime soon.

Btw, I went from almost 300 lbs down to 269 lbs but with a significant increase in muscle. So I still have another 30-40 lbs of fat maybe to go and I am still trying to pack as much muscle on while I'm in my 40's still before I hit 50 cuz it doesn't get any easier with age;). Or so I'm told:p:D

Been there, done that. Its a huge change, but beats the heck out of the alternative.
I dropped my a1c from 8.8 to 5.3 in six months...been slacking a little lately, but still limit my carbs and avoid sugar like the plague.
Congrats to you! Keep it up!

Congratulations on your the successes you've achieved using a low carbohydrate high fat dietary strategy.

I've been using an LCHF diet for over 5 years now. I was motivated by lingering weight issues following a heart attack while living in Costa Rica.

The medical folks there were like most in the world - conditioned by dogma to recommend the low-fat diet. Heck, I'd been a disciple of low fat for more than 2 decades and still was pre-diabetic, 40 pounds overweight, and now with 3 stents in my heart.

My wife and I followed Keto for a couple of years but moved back to LCHF for more variety and to address some of her medical issues.

Keep eating yourself healthy!

It's all about self determination and what "YOU" want to accomplish Joe...

Sounds like you've established that at this point, continue moving forward...

Congratulations...:)

Last year, I lost about 100 pounds in 6 months with keto. I now have a stack of "fat clothes" in the closet instead of "skinny clothes", people at work have noticed (and a couple have started doing keto as well)
The first time I went to the doctor after starting keto, he was very surprised. Used the word "ecstatic" over the results I was having. Blood sugar was 77 compared to ~130 6-7 months before, so we took me off a blood sugar medication. Overall cholesterol was 209, which was 20 points lower, but the "good" cholesterol had improved by 20 points to a 51, to which he said "that kind of improvement is unheard of" and we were able to take me off a cholesterol medication after maintaining the numbers. Also took me off a blood pressure medication earlier this year.

I feel as good as I have at any time in the last 10 years, my health seems to be better and I don't feel like I am missing out on a lot. It doesn't work work for everybody, but it sure worked for me.

I've been staying on top of blood sugar data for years. Becoming diabetic scares me some because I know it's life-altering. Next month, I'll be 69, doctor says I'm not even close to being pre-diabetic. I've got a number of relatively minor medical issues, a couple not quite so minor. I don't drink alcohol, don't smoke, don't do drugs so that helps. So far, I'm able to do most everything I've always done. Been retired for going on 12 years so have been able to enjoy life.

Type 2 diabetes is on the Agent Orange list, you come down with it, you get 70% disability but as my wife says, that isn't anything to look forward to.

LCHF, Keto, etc. work. It would solve a lot of the Type 2 Diabetes crisis in this country if we all adopted that lifestyle of eating. I am off flour (all types) and most added sugar. Down about 13lbs in the last two months. A1C was 5.7, plan on getting tested again at the end of the year and it should be lower.

Last year went in for about $50K worth of tests for my heart. A number of blood tests were conducted. I specifically asked about blood sugar and diabetes - so far I am not in danger of that despite my addiction to chocolate.

While they were looking into my heart issues and other things I was advised to not do anything strenuous, so I got even more out of shape. Once they cleared me for doing 'exercise' it was then about the time we had a lot of wildfires and it wasn't smart to go outside (where working on my property is my 'exercise') so I more or less did very little physical activity. Then the bad weather and again, I stayed inside. This year I have done hard work, but then injured myself. Now I am mostly healed and I am working outside again.

But I am still out of shape and overweight. Having a bad back and now I think arthritis, not to mention being out of shape, makes it hard to struggle back from that. I may get there but destroy my liver due to taking pain meds to cope with the resulting pain.

Getting old sucks :( and much of that is due to stupid decisions I made when young (when I injured my back).:mad:

out of shape and overweight. Having a bad back and now I think arthritis, not to mention being out of shape, makes it hard to struggle back from that. I may get there but destroy my liver due to taking pain meds to cope with the resulting pain.

You are the perfect candidate for an LCHF or KETO diet because the dietary villains - sugar and starches - exacerbates your mentioned ailments.

I tested my A1c the other day and it was 6.1 - under 7.0 so I am no longer a type 2 diabetic and am very close to being out of the pre-diabetic range (under 5.7).

Congrats Joe!!!

Just remember that although Type 2 is reversible, it's a life sentence... once a diabetic, always a diabetic... in other words, if you went back to high carbs, your blood sugar would go right up. It might take awhile to push your A1c up, but it's like being an alcoholic or a heroin addict, you can't go back to your old habits w/o consequences.

My road was the same as most type 2 diabetics. Started out with double the genes for it: both side of my family had large % of diabetics and alcoholics. I was overeating, addicted to carbs (comfort foods), and then owned two biz that had me sitting on my butt driving all day seven days a week. High stress, low exercise, 30lbs overweight. That did it!! Once diabetic it only took a few years before the meds were no longer working and I had to use insulin. Insulin stores fat, more fat raises body weight = more insulin. See how that works? The only thing that helps is strict dieting... a thing that most type 2 diabetics will not do long term. Ok for awhile then back to bad habits. And insulin has become more expensive, so a good health insurance plan is a must. Getting on VA health saved my life. I've gone thru depression a number of times... it was really bad when I had no job, no health care coverage, and insulin was $200/month. Yup health problems are expensive.

Note to pre-diabetics... it's not written in stone that you will become full diabetic. What it takes is the genes, being overweight, and being sedentary. Eliminate one and you can dodge the bullet.

I can personally attest to the change Joe has made. He's a different person today from when I met him.
His hard work and dedication is inspiring.

And I'm glad I called you out on all that sweet tea!

Thanks man, I needed the hard truths.

Thankfully I have been in the right place and time with the right people around me to mend what I broke before it was unfixable.

@bbbass
I will never go back to the way things were;).

Someday down the road I might have a cheat meal if my alternatives are slim and I didn't pack food but I see this keto as my new food plan for life.

I'm sure I may change some things as time goes by but the days of a gallon of sweet tea and breads is gone forever.

To prove this to myself I will not be consuming any of the summer fruit I love with the exception of an occasional blueberry or strawberry this year.

At least I can eat bacon again though:D

I wrestle with weight due to some issues, I've started the process for bariatric surgery.

It runs in my family.

For me small meals to help your system digest, try not to eat after 7 pm.

Avoiding white flour, deep fried, anything with high fructose corn syrup, or processed with a lot of preservatives.

Also try not eating dairy, helped me to lose some weight not eating cheese.

It's hard because it seems like anything fun and tasty is bad for you. Slowly turning into an old Granola.

For me, I'm still under 40, but I have a desk job and I love food. I've had a bunch of tests done when I went to the hospital due to cellulitis from a scratch while out hiking, and I'm in fine shape, just fat. This February, I stepped on the scale and saw 325. I was feeling pretty down after that and started doing some research. I started doing intermittent fasting with occasional periods of water fasting and cutting out carbs and sugars. So far, after four months, I'm down 62 pounds and just chugging along. My clothes are too big, but I just bought a smaller belt. No sense buying clothes that won't fit right very long. I have a long way to go and it's a lifestyle change for sure. I still have a bite of some carbs or sugar once in a blue moon, but only a bite.

The evils of carbs and sugars are tough to overstate. I'm glad to hear of the success of so many others on this forum. Some of my coworkers are having great success too. How long before bread will have a surgeon general's warning? Candy bars and ice cream too.

And congrats Joe on your outstanding progress!

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top