JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
One of the cartridges I load for is 10mm Auto. I've got many different bullets to use, some I have to test powder charges for since no data exists. I wanted to load up a set of test cartridges for 10mm, got out some brass and got to work. The cases were clean, needed flaring. Next, to priming. The count was unknown, brass stored in cottage cheese container. If I had to guess, maybe 125 to 150. I keep some primers in my work area, but not all that many, most are stored in another room. I looked in my primer box, found a tray of WW large pistol primers, opened it up and it wasn't full. Not enough. I went in the next room, got another tray of 100, and went to work. Went through fifty of the new tray, then started to load in the last fifty. As I was tipping them into the holder of the priming tool, I dropped one primer on the floor. Now the plot thickens.

I'm older, and realize that bending over for one primer may not be worth the effort. I'll probably find it later when I'm down there for something else. I'm a firm believer that when we are born, our life comes with only so many bend overs; once those are used up, we're on borrowed time. I will bend over for a dime coin, maybe even for a nickel. But I will no longer waste a precious bend over on a penny.

So I let the lost primer go, went on working using the other forty-nine. Would you believe, I got through priming all of the remaining 10mm cases, used up all the primers, and was one case over. I really needed that lost, last primer. To keep me from going into the next room again and busting into a flat of primers only to take out and use a single one. So I did the bend over after all and found it.

it gets better. That once-lost but retrieved primer -- somehow, between the time I dropped it into the priming tool and trying to seat it, it got turned sideways. I can tell immediately when a primer has gone sideways, the feel is different but by then it's too late. That last primer got ruined and I still had to go in and get another flat of primers to take out only one and leave ninety-nine in the tray.

Here's a little tip, not necessarily related to the primer because originally I didn't see what happened to it. So when you are working with small objects and you drop something, don't rush down to the floor to pick it up. Stand there and watch to see where it lands if you can, then picking it up will be much easier than searching.

Another tip. When you are taking anything apart that contains springs, do it inside a closet or shower stall (with the drain covered). That way if a spring goes flying away, it can't escape. You'll look pretty funny there in the shower with a disassembled gun in your lap. But the basic idea is sound.

I have also discovered the phenomenon of miniature black holes that immediately suck up and transport dropped pieces and parts (or tools that you set down while working) to other areas that are obscure. Then eventually these miniature black holes transport said article to an area that you've already searched through multiple times prior.

Or, wander around your shop trying to find something that you know is in there somewhere, and an hour later your wife walks in and asks what you're looking for. After telling her, she points to the object and says "Is that the thing you've been looking for."

I couldn't find my airpods this morning. Wandered around the house, looked in the truck. Got back in bed, and there they were on my night stand...I already looked there. :oops:

Still trying to find that hex wrench from yesterday tho...

I have things that totally disappear, I think they go into another dimension. Then they reappear a few days later right in plain sight on top of a workbench. It's weird.

I had a fun experience once: the spring flew off my primer transfer bar. My brain swore that it went forward, away from the press. Of course, without it I was SOL so I had no choice but to look for it right away. After a futile 45 minutes on my hands and knees with a flash light, I decided to call it a night and order one in the morning. As I reach over to turn off the lamp over the bench, I spot the spring BEHIND the press. Oh well.

I had a fun experience once: the spring flew off my primer transfer bar. My brain swore that it went forward, away from the press. Of course, without it I was SOL so I had no choice but to look for it right away. After a futile 45 minutes on my hands and knees with a flash light, I decided to call it a night and order one in the morning. As I reach over to turn off the lamp over the bench, I spot the spring BEHIND the press. Oh well.

Sometimes when a stubbornly missing object defies discovery, I've found that giving up for the day/night works wonders. Next day, it's usually found.

Buying a replacement for a missing object is a guarantee that the original will be found. But it's a way to save time.

These woes under discussion may be why so many gun people I know are way into "spares" of just about everything. "One is good, two are better, three are ideal."

This leads to them tending to pile the stuff high, a practice which compounds the compulsive search issue.

And then the once-in-a-while clean-out and reorganization comes along. "I've got to arrange this stuff so I can find anything." Which results in giving away or selling some objects. Then down the road, you wind up looking for stuff you know you once had. But forgot you let go. "I know it's around here somewhere -- or is it??"

Realistically, it's not just gun people. My wife sometimes puts things in a special place "where she won't forget they are." And subsequently forgets. The object eventually turns up, long after it's needed and has been replaced.

Humanity, who can figure it out.

I spend most of my time on any project looking for tools that I know I have. In fact I usually have several spares for all of my tools - after a certain point I buy a new one so I can complete the project. If I would put them away after a job, I would save hours per project. Oh well, life goes on as usual.

I always like it when I lose or can't find something I need right now for some project so off to the store I go. Get home and finish the project then put whatever it was I needed away...... right next to the one I couldn't find in the first place.

I have also discovered the phenomenon of miniature black holes that immediately suck up and transport dropped pieces and parts (or tools that you set down while working) to other areas that are obscure. Then eventually these miniature black holes transport said article to an area that you've already searched through multiple times prior.

^^^THIS!!!^^^ + 1000! I have one of those on my workbench, which is in one corner of my shop. I can be working on something, set a tool down, NOT move from that spot, and have the tool disappear. Invariably, it turns up in the opposite corner of my shop, a straight line distance of some 50', but actually longer, as there are multiple obstacles on the way. Had the same problem when I raised a pair of Ravens a few years back, Edgar loved to snatch small parts and tools off my bench, then go perch somewhere just out of reach and laugh at me. I was finding stuff years after they were gone, but I'll do it again in a heartbeat, if I ever get the chance. Amazing birds! Hey, maybe it's a Raven spirit still living in my shop, instead of a black hole...

My favorit is that one flying part that has to land in the most inesassable place of all, if a car, right to the center, workbench right to the furthest corner of the floor, airplane, all the way to the wing tip. Ect.......
Exasperating!
Or even better, looking for that 10mm wrench for 20 min, and its in your pocket the whole time! And dont ask me about my hard hat! Long story!:eek:

I find that the Buddhist approach works best, and experienced it in my youth without knowing what it was when digging through piles of LEGO; The harder you search for something, the more obscure it becomes. I have found that if I am NOT looking for something, or if I am looking for some completely unrelated, the object I was searching for at one time miraculously appears.

My boss and I were working on some equipment yesterday, and as we were putting tools away he had an extra tool in his hand. He stood there staring at it for a while. He didn't know where it came from or how it got in his hand. Clearly he picked it up with the other tools but had no memory of it. I told him that right at this moment there is an alternate you in an alternate universe frantically looking for that tool that he was just holding!

Funny story about flying parts...completely unrelated to reloading...but it could be.

So there I was in an airport renting a car. Something struck me as odd about the couple in front of me. Just how they interacted, couldn't put my finger on it until it is their turn to rent the car. They were a couple, now divorced, traveling together to their son's graduation. They wanted to add the "wife" to the rental so she hands over her driver's license. Somehow during the transfer it slides into this tiny slot in the built in desk and is forever sucked into a black hole, never to return. All of us in the building try to find a way into this area (we all only have luggage so no real tools). No dice.

So there you are, traveling with your ex, and now your license is gone and you need to board a plane back home in a day. After witnessing this...I don't mind looking for the occasional primer.

Worked on a pretty major overhaul (engine, trans, cooling system, suspension work, etc.) of a friend's 57 Chevy with him, a non-mechanically inclined guy. It was both to get the work done and teach him something about the mechanicals of his modified car. The first thing we worked on was you ALWAYS watch the dropped part until it stops moving, otherwise the elves steal the darn thing and you'll never find it.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top