JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
The government should NOT be spending more $$$ for STUFF that they have NO business being involved IN and continue to be in DEBT.

The government should have LESS agencies. Enough to keep the government running and to protect our country. But not all of the stuff that even IKE warned us about in one of his last speeches. (MIC warning.)

If honest TAX PAYING people have to live within their budget and means... why should Uncle Sam not live like us?! We need an Uncle Sam who has a clue not a Uncle SUGAR DADDY!

Hospitals and medical clinics have been closing up in rural areas for a LONG time now.

A whole bunch of other BUSINESSES have closed up in rural areas and in small towns for a long, long time. I go by what I see and not just on the 'news'. But I do pay attention to the news and I get it from ALL sides not just one or the other since they are ALL BIASED.

They, hospitals and clinics, are closing up and not just in Montana but all across this country.

They were doing this, back east, in my former rural area when my late husband was alive too. LONG before his death too.

They closed up on the East Coast where I was born and raised too. Rural areas, small towns, suburbs, cities, etc.

MANY hospitals have closed up completely and/or merged too.

MANY of them are overwhelmed with the illegal aliens AND legal citizens who have come into a SPECIFIC AREA and the schools, clinics, hospitals and other places can't keep up with the population of PEOPLE WHO DO NOT PAY THEIR BILLS OR FAIR SHARE or THEY don't pay income taxes yet they continue to USE the services in the township, city, state, etc.

THIS happens with the So Called 'homeless' TRANSIENTS all across this nation and in specific areas too. I don't need to spell out where or more in that issue here. They Use and Abuse the system and don't put forth an effort to CONTRIBUTE to the tax base so they live off the WORKING and RETIRED PEOPLE TAX BASE.

I do believe that the 'news' is not and has not told the truth about the employment figures for a long, long and long time NO matter WHO is in power on the STATE and FEDERAL LEVELS.

SS was robbed. The RRB was robbed too. They were forced into paying into the SS system with some dang legal loophole too.

I would like to KNOW how NON working and Perfectly Healthy men and women can collect what they DO collect for free including free medical when they have one, two or more babies with NO legal Father in the picture?!

And how some can collect with NO children involved too?!

How can some men or women get all of this FREE S ARMY stuff?

WHY am I forced to pay for their free crapola when I have ALWAYS LIVED WITHIN MY MEANS and budget since I was 18 years old? Worked hard and smart. Sweat equity and more in building my first house with my late husband. Bought the land and got a construction loan. Saved up to buy things for my entire life. Not a trust fund baby.

I did not built this second house with my own hands in my senior years.

I have seen some FREE S ARMY people collect their FREE $$$ and buy stuff and they had a LOT of stuff that I did without and/or never did buy.

Heck, I waited until I was 66.5 years old to file for my one official retirement pension check. (Not for my two small pensions which I collected a bit earlier.)

The U.S. .gov should NOT pay for crapola all over the world (Foreign AID to people who hate us, want us dead and/or disarmed, money, arms, etc. We should not give AID to people who like us too.) and tons more which is still going ON NOW as it did in the PAST.

And why do we continue to pay $$$ for repeated rehab over and over again to people who have NO intention or even want to get BETTER with whatever BS condition that they claim to have for booze or drugs or some fake condition?!

Side note: There are good and bad people no matter where they live or hail from. City and country folks.

WE could save a lot of money by using our brains and common sense.

I will be long gone and DEAD before this country ever gets their act together. I do NOT think that those in power want a solution.

The TAX system needs an honest and FAIR plan. When you look at the old forms and the new forms and how HUGE COMPANIES don't pay squat or people who continue to declare bankruptcy over and over again and get ALL of the IRS legal loopholes... sigh... I wonder WHY the average working Jane/Joe or retired person who is still FORCED TO PAY their fair share even bother other than being concerned in losing what they worked their butt off for their entire lives or end up in jail.

Cate

I do not live where many of you gals/guys live but out here in some parts of MT - they are talking about the !!! forest fires (And for so called wet Western WA too!) already.

I have heard of WELLS GOING DRY or having to drill deeper too. People that I know. NW MT.

Cate

I'm honestly surprised that anything below 68% of the median income equals "distressed" maybe the definition has changed, but last I recall, isn't the median simply "the middle number of a data set"? :rolleyes:

I mean... of course half the incomes reported will fall below the median, or over the median in a data set going from the smallest income to the largest income reported

It just seems ridiculous. Now... percentage of "working age adulta not in work"? How do they figure that data... voter rolls? Birth rates? Number of adults on unemployment benefits? Number of adults in labor force? Number of adults on disability, or welfare, and thus not "working"? What about those adults who are in colleges and the likes... methinks its a bit more complicated than simply saying if greater than 40% of "working age adults" are "not working" it means distressed community.. perhaps jobs are not there in enough numbers, perhaps there are other factors (disability, ages, welfare, being students)? Again, maybe I'm not agreeing with the assertions that a large portion of the Gulf States, or most of the old South, are "distressed" :rolleyes: it also seems strange that a large portion of NM is "distressed" when its mostly military employment, snowbirds, and recently retired adults are in there...also, conspiciously... the areas with immigrant/migrant problems does not seem to be counted as " severely distressed communities" in California....

Also claims Portland metro, Seattle metro, Bay Area/San Fran.. actually most of the largest urban centers are "prosperous":rolleyes:

Keep in mind that in 1970, a HS diploma would get you a union job that pay for a house in the suburbs, two cars, three kids and a stay at home mom.

Today you can't do that for less than $100,000.

Keep in mind that in 1970, a HS diploma would get you a union job that pay for a house in the suburbs, two cars, three kids and a stay at home mom.

Yeah... because the dollar value has gone wayyyyyy down relative to incomes

But on the other hand, real estate values have gone way up, compared to adjusted average incomes

Why is that? Because real estate is real value and not tied to some nebulous concept of value dictated by the Fed Reserve Bank, divorced from tangible values like gold standard for example.. :rolleyes: I'm not sure if the U.S. dollar is tied to oil?

The prices of everything other than bare necessities have consistently gone up, while incomes have pretty much stagnated in value.
FT_18.07.26_hourlyWage_feature.png 546.gif

A while back I read that McDonald's had issued a stable, though limited, currency. When they mess up your order, they give you a metal token good for one Big Mac. The token will have that value until McD goes out of businesses.

I see this as more b.s. anti-Trump garbage.

Any "bad" economic data would be blamed on Trump by those who dislike him. There is bad economic data if you look for it, and good data as well. I don't blame him for the bad stuff - it's been an ongoing thing for a long time before Trump came along. Fact is, given the lying media, you can't believe the numbers they report on anything.

Yeah... because the dollar value has gone wayyyyyy down relative to incomes

But on the other hand, real estate values have gone way up, compared to adjusted average incomes

Why is that? Because real estate is real value and not tied to some nebulous concept of value dictated by the Fed Reserve Bank, divorced from tangible values like gold standard for example.. :rolleyes: I'm not sure if the U.S. dollar is tied to oil?

The prices of everything other than bare necessities have consistently gone up, while incomes have pretty much stagnated in value.
View attachment 584751 View attachment 584752

The home price data is probably comparing apples and oranges. I suspect homes today are larger and in some ways better than those of the 1970s.

The comparison of home price to household incomes may be a fair one. How many people worked in the average household in 1970 compared to today? Perhaps fewer moms worked in the 70s, but today there may be more single parent familes.

Depends on the location, but maybe.

When I got out of HS (1972) the only union jobs were in Portland (if you didn't count canneries which were union, but the union was/is useless), paid about $8/hr, and you had to know where bodies were buried or have a skill (e.g., welding cert) to get one. You couldn't get such a job if you didn't know someone or didn't have a trade skill/experience. I tried and tried for years until I gave up and went into the USCG.

But yes, $8/hr would have at least allowed me to support my family at the time (a wife who would work, and a baby).

Today, you can make about $70K family income and afford a decent house in the suburbs - I know people who do it - barely.

Any "bad" economic data would be blamed on Trump by those who dislike him. There is bad economic data if you look for it, and good data as well. I don't blame him for the bad stuff - it's been an ongoing thing for a long time before Trump came along. Fact is, given the lying media, you can't believe the numbers they report on anything.

And Trump would in turn blame it on Obama.

The truth is, the POTUS, regardless of who it is, has little to do with the economy.

"The truth is, the POTUS, regardless of who it is, has little to do with the economy."

So, President Trump's efforts to improve the economy (which is going gangbusters...now) is to be dismissed?

Obama on the other hand, did a spectacular great job regarding the economy...uh-huh, and if you believe that 'I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale'...

"The truth is, the POTUS, regardless of who it is, has little to do with the economy."

So, President Trump's efforts to improve the economy (which is going gangbusters...now) is to be dismissed?

Obama on the other hand, did a spectacular great job regarding the economy...uh-huh, and if you believe that 'I have a bridge in Brooklyn for sale'...
Every POTUS in the past 5 or more decades has tried to take credit for the economy when it was going well and blamed their predecessors when it was going poorly.

Trump, Obama, Bush jr, Clinton, Bush sr, et al all did this

But go ahead, stick your head in a dry hole in the ground and ignore the issues by denying they exist.

Just saying that I live here, you don't, and as always the Oregonian and OPB are full of it. I won't listen to YOU or them. But if you have some other professional sources that you can cite rather than a reporter, I'd check it out.

Doesn't matter how many times you scream wolf... Al Gore said 20yrs ago that we would all be under water in 10 years... so forgive my skepticism about pronunciations of coming disaster!! :rolleyes:

Last Edited:
Oregon water resources dept

Links?

(ETA: I could find no pertinent info at the OWRD website. Looking at their 2018 Drought Declaration, none of it involved Union or Wallowa county in any of the categories they listed. And the one in Baker County merely mentioned the Drought Declaration $$ gives them an opportunity for additional planning. Yah, I need hard evidence of your claims as they pertain to the area I live in and this ain't gettin it. <shrug>)

Last Edited:
The POTUS does not control the wind or the tides, he only controls the rudder. He calls out to Congress his wishes for the sails.

Even with his limited control, there are clear distinctions between smart choices and foolish ones.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top