JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
As most know Washington state recently banned the sale of any magazine's with more that 10 rounds. I went into Sportsmans today in Oregon and was refused the sale of a magazine that holds more than 10 rounds. At the register for check out they made me show ID. Upon seeing my ID was from Washington state they rufused to sell them to me. The employee stated it was Sportsmans policy to not sell any mag over 10 rounds to anyone with a California or Washington ID. So with that being said was that a obvious case of discrimination or not?

They don't get a pass from me. Those magazines are legal here, and I don't believe it's any of their business of where their products are used when they're bought legally.

Don't take it personal but those two states have mag cap bans on anything over 10rnds. They are avoiding legal lawsuit challenges.
my point was that i think they are opening themselves up to more law suites by refusing sales of a legal purchase. I may be wrong but i dont remeber the new mag ban in Washington making it illegal to own these, just illegal to sell them in this state.

It outlaws import, buying in one state and taking it back to WA is importing. This is the legal anal probe they are wanting to avoid as they would be supplying YOU with the contraband material that would nail them in court.

You being upset over not getting an item is something they would much rather contend then sitting in court over violating a law.

PS. I have sympathy for you as this law totally sucks and Oregon is looking down the same barrel with Measure 114 this November.

There is no legal requirement for you to show ID for mag purchases. You could have said no and walked out. End result would be the same with less drama. Don't like their policy, vote with your check book.

Grew up in NV. Worked at Scheels Sporting goods. Saw countless Californians attempt to buy stuff. It would normally go through unless there was a reason to check ID, ammo usually required it. Every single Californian was denied purchase. This was 15-20 years ago.

Grew up in NV. Worked at Scheels Sporting goods. Saw countless Californians attempt to buy stuff. It would normally go through unless there was a reason to check ID, ammo usually required it. Every single Californian was denied purchase. This was 15-20 years ago.
Just curious...why was this happening 15 years ago??? Back then anyone from Cali could go to any state, buy all the ammo they wanted and take it back to Cali. The ammo laws there are relatively new regarding importing, ammo BGC, etc. Mag capacity limits and the gun roster are older so I could see that. Insight?

It outlaws import, buying in one state and taking it back to WA is importing. This is the legal anal probe they are wanting to avoid as they would be supplying YOU with the contraband material that would nail them in court.

You being upset over not getting an item is something they would much rather contend then sitting in court over violating a law.
They are not violating any law by selling mags to anybody. It is the act of importing that is illegal, not selling to a WA or CA resident.

Not sure why you had to show your ID. Maybe I just have a honest face. That said, commies visiting Oregon may need to buy larger magazines while here. What they do with them before leaving is their business. Whenever I see magazines on the ground at my shooting spot, I just assume they were from Washington visitors.

Which store? They have no right to ask for your "papers" when buying a magazine. It's up to you what you do with it. Same with a couch, a gallon of gas, or a freaking circus monkey. None of their damn business.

There is no legal requirement for you to show ID for mag purchases. You could have said no and walked out. End result would be the same with less drama. Don't like their policy, vote with your check book.
☝️ This. I think it certainly might open them up to suit. Their policies might have some loophole, but if they are checking ID under the premise (or could be argued that they were) to ensure you were over a certain age (18 or 21) then that's certainly discrimination since... I don't believe... OR has any age restriction on mags.

Bi-mart already got slapped for that.

It could be they are just being overly cautious to stay out of the courtroom, but it is in no way illegal for them to sell standard capacity mags to anyone.

BAD business!!

While they "can" refuse service to any individual, they can not refuse service based on "class" or "blanket classifications" of customers. Age, race, gender, where you live.... etc.... those are big no no's.

I keep seeing it is illegal to Import to Washington. does anyone have the definition of Importing? Far as i can tell that is referring to coming from overseas and not transporting something to your residence from another state?

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top