JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I quickly noticed that the "Discount" in the shop name was just a marketing ploy to get customers. I started looking to get a 1911 back in February and a Discount Gun Sales had recently opened up in the Hazel Dell area of Vancouver back then. They wanted almost $600 for a standard Rock Island GI 1911...the same gun goes for $420 at Centerfire Systems and $450 from Bud's Gun Shop. I don't think I'll ever buy a firearm from them, but some of the accessories they sell are priced pretty good.

It's the old trick that if you say they're discounted then they must be discounted. Not a great business model looking to only sell to the uninformed buyer, but they must make money.

The one up by me has OK prices. They will also negotiate prices. I have purchased a few things from them and have been satisfied. Their accessories are priced well and compete with prices on the net. I think one reason their firearm prices are a bit high is that they know if you order one off the net you have to pay for shipping, transfer fee, and tax (at least in Wa. which is their home state of business) on the entire bill.

I've always gotten good deals there but I was also an early customer of their first store in Totem Lake. Try offering a lower price and see if they'll take it. Personally I really like the guys I've dealt with, they've treated me right, and the stores are nice and clean and so are their firearms.

does your wife have a single sister????i mean one that likes to buy her man guns too???she dont even have to be pretty just has to have a good idea of what makes a good weapon
So here is my dilema with DGS-

A DGS is the closest dealer to where we live, and my wife has taken to the habit of occasionally dropping by and getting me suprise presents. Over the last few years these include-

SCAR 16s
AR10
Super Nova
MP 15-22
Arsenal SLR106

She isn't going to want to drive an hour to the better priced shops, and is comfortable with this DGS (they are pretty friendly at my location and especially to her now! :rolleyes:).

So I gotta find a way to direct her to better deals without discouraging this lovely habit she has developed... :s0114:

Went into one two weekends ago in Kirkland, knowing full well that there was nothing discount about them; to satisfy my curiosity. And sure enough just about everything was near MSRP. Saw a couple of stripped lowers that weren't terrible and a nova that wasn't dramatically up-priced.

But just about everything else was way more than other places and not just online like Buds, J&G, or Centerfire but other local gun shops in the area and down where I live. There was some army guy buying an AR there and couldn't help but think that he'd get such a better deal elsewhere.

I too really wanted to like the new Discount Gun Sales ("Gun Store") near Jesuit High in Beaverton. But the combination of poor selection, high prices, and the incident I'll describe below have turned me off.

(I posted this on another forum the day after it happened, and you can see the responses here)
I went in to buy some 30 round PMags (yes, I got drawn into the high cap mag panic ). It's a small shop and there were 3 customers including me. As I was shopping for the mags, I noticed a well-dressed plainclothes-looking guy with no visible badge, carrying a Sig 226 in an OWB holster. He took a Rem 870 tactical out of a case that he brought with him, and started simulating some techniques while talking loudly about how he trains. The gun had a side-saddle full of shells. He was not pointing the gun at anyone, but his antics were making me really nervous especially since I didn't know if the gun was clear.

Keeping my eyes on his weapon made it hard for me to complete my transaction, and the owner began to get impatient at repeating himself. I mentioned to the owner why I was distracted, and the shotgun guy laughed and said "yes, I have that effect on people".

Yeah they alright but totally cater to the random, gun buyer who doesn't know any better, I went into one near baseline and 185th in hillsboro, I asked them if they had any sig 1911s that were threaded, the guy behind the counter told me he could order one for me for $1400, I told him i can find a new one on gunbroker or bobs gun shop for $990. Then he pointed me to a kimber pro tle/rl 2 and told me he could get a threaded barrel for the gun and sell it to me for $1300. Sales guy just didn't get the point.

I went into the store at 185th and baseline twice in the last 2 weeks and was not impressed.
During the first visit, the (only?) employee was talking to a guy about his AR for 20 minutes while I made a couple laps. I was acknowledged but not spoken to and left. Another customer that came in after me and left before me received the same treatment.
On the second visit, there were several customers and one employee, looked like it was going to be 20-30 minutes to ask a question. Maybe I am going in at the wrong time or just had bad luck.
Prices seem a little high, but I am still new to the hobby and it could be that I don't know exactly what I am looking at.

The store is clean and well-lit, it doesn't look shady or anything so the wife acceptance factor is high - if that matters.

All the important points have already been made, but I just want to jump on the dogpile, too.

Super expensive, small selection, generally friendly, but not a place(s) I'll buy anything from.

So here is my dilema with DGS-

A DGS is the closest dealer to where we live, and my wife has taken to the habit of occasionally dropping by and getting me suprise presents. Over the last few years these include-

SCAR 16s
AR10
Super Nova
MP 15-22
Arsenal SLR106

She isn't going to want to drive an hour to the better priced shops, and is comfortable with this DGS (they are pretty friendly at my location and especially to her now! :rolleyes:).

So I gotta find a way to direct her to better deals without discouraging this lovely habit she has developed... :s0114:

**** send her up this way every time I mention going to the gun shop my wife says take me home first thats usally 50 mile out of the way

Best customer service out of any gun store I have ever been in but I guess I would rather pay 50-70 more and get treated with respect then go to places where that I get treated bad. They get most things other gun stores wish they could get!!!

So... you must be friends with somebody that works there? Work there yourself?

Depending on what side of town I could go to MK Tactical, NW Armory, Curt's etc and get a good PRICE with good customer service. These guys are not worth paying a premium for. Even with the high demand on firearms right now there is no excuse paying their prices unless you really enjoy giving away money or just ignorant.

So... you must be friends with somebody that works there? Work there yourself?

Depending on what side of town I could go to MK Tactical, NW Armory, Curt's etc and get a good PRICE with good customer service. These guys are not worth paying a premium for. Even with the high demand on firearms right now there is no excuse paying their prices unless you really enjoy giving away money or just ignorant.

I thought the same thing reading that. Who necros a thread with such a transparent plug? I'd have smelled troll if it weren't for the author having 75 posts.

I certainly won't go there to buy a $1000 item for $1400 just to have worse customer service than most other shops. This would explain why I haven't been in a DGS in years, nor the range that is affiliated with them.

When DGS first opened in Kirkland, they actually had pretty decent prices and good selection. They were located in a small space in a strip mall. Sadly, as they've expanded, their prices have increased considerably over the years and their selection is spotty. Same thing can be said about Wades - ok prices when they were located over on 8th, but once they "hit the big time" with their new store/range, their prices went up.

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top