JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
I own two presses currently ( a Lee classic turret ) and ( a lee breech lock pro progressive) . I'm not familiar with Dillon but I do understand that they are so called the best in most worlds. I'm looking at possibly getting a Dillon 550 but after a little research discovered that they are a manual indexing press. I'm curious to hear some comments from other owners as to whether or not I'd be doing myself any favors by purchasing a manually indexing press when I already have a full indexable. What are the pros and cons?

If you already have two presses that you are happy with, why are you considering buying another?

The 550 is much faster and easier than a turret press (I own both). Not familiar with your other press, so I can't compare.

The breech lock pro is setup for 9mm and thats really the only cartridge I load on it, the Lee turret was my first press and though it still loads decent its just not the most rigid machine especially if using it as a single stage for resizing bottle neck rifle cartridges like 06 and 7mm rem mag. I've got a buyer for it anyways but I really need/want a more rigid press for loading rifle rounds like .308

I had 550 for over 20 years. Switched to 650 20 years ago. Considerable advantage to the 5 station auto index 650 for my needs. I even learned how to use 650 as single station black powder set up. Unfamiliar with your other 2 presses.

The manual indexing is a non-issue with the 550. To index you just swip the shell holder forward. I do this as I grab another case with my right hand. I also check the powder charge in the case as I move it forward as a QA step.
Unless you go full automation or need the 5th stage, the 550 if fine.
The big advantage to the 550's manual indexing is you have a better feel for the shell plate adjustment and cleanliness and it is convenient when you have an issue during the process, such as a bulged pistol case.

My 550 was more difficult to dial in than even a Lee progressive. But once dialed in the 550 has not ever drifted or needed adjustments while making a run of ammo. It is literally an Add bullet, and pull the handle press. Where with any of the lee presses I was always checking to see that primers were flowing down the feed, etc...
Because it is more difficult to change calibers I have dedicated it to only 9mm. And I only set it up for long runs of ammo. But I will say it is the smoothest running progressive I have used.
The only way I have been happy with Lee progressives has been to start with pre cleaned and primed brass!
I also only load rifle rounds on a single stage press.
Good Luck DR

The breech lock pro is setup for 9mm and thats really the only cartridge I load on it, the Lee turret was my first press and though it still loads decent its just not the most rigid machine especially if using it as a single stage for resizing bottle neck rifle cartridges like 06 and 7mm rem mag. I've got a buyer for it anyways but I really need/want a more rigid press for loading rifle rounds like .308
The Lee classic cast turret is essentially an auto indexing O press.. once the necessary for movement play in the head is taken up, it moves no further.

First let me say that both are reportedly good machines and produce good reloading options. Personally, I went through this same thought process earlier in the summer as to which Dillon to purchase. For me the decision was the Dillon XL 650.

I decided to "buy once, cry once" with the slightly more expensive XL 650 model. I also followed the recommendation to buy a machine better than you "think" you need. If your needs expand, great, you grow into it. If not, you've never known any different, so who cares?

The XL 650 has one extra station, which allows for a powder cop. As a new reloader this is something I use (DAA powder checker with sound and light cues.) This extra station also means you can use both a powder sensor and a seat and crimp in separate stations. It also will make it easy to use a bullet feeder in the future if I decide to remove the powder cop.

The XL 650 also has auto advance. I do not at this time do precision rifle, so I do not need to manually inspect each round and manually advance same.

It is my understanding that both now have case feeders (my XL 650 does), so that's not a problem anymore. Although I am not sure if the 550 case feeder does rifle.

I am not sure about the 550, but the only weak area I see in the XL 650 is the primer system. You need to be sure to keep it clean, greased and properly aligned or seating primers can be a pain and time consuming process. However, once you figure it out loading humms along nicely.

Your mileage may vary, but so far the XL650 is working for me.

Good luck with your choice OP.

Also, before I forget, Dillon is a good company with a helpful service department.

My 550 was more difficult to dial in than even a Lee progressive. But once dialed in the 550 has not ever drifted or needed adjustments while making a run of ammo. It is literally an Add bullet, and pull the handle press. Where with any of the lee presses I was always checking to see that primers were flowing down the feed, etc...
Because it is more difficult to change calibers I have dedicated it to only 9mm. And I only set it up for long runs of ammo. But I will say it is the smoothest running progressive I have used.
The only way I have been happy with Lee progressives has been to start with pre cleaned and primed brass!
I also only load rifle rounds on a single stage press.
Good Luck DR
Well I'm still on the fence but I'm going to take a closer look at the 550 and the 650 before making a decision. My biggest complaint with the dillon turret is the primer feed system, its difficult to get it adjusted just right and even then I'm picking them up off the floor. Also the powder measure always strikes the primer feeder while the turret goes around the circle

First let me say that both are reportedly good machines and produce good reloading options. Personally, I went through this same thought process earlier in the summer as to which Dillon to purchase. For me the decision was the Dillon XL 650.

I decided to "buy once, cry once" with the slightly more expensive XL 650 model. I also followed the recommendation to buy a machine better than you "think" you need. If your needs expand, great, you grow into it. If not, you've never known any different, so who cares?

The XL 650 has one extra station, which allows for a powder cop. As a new reloader this is something I use (DAA powder checker with sound and light cues.) This extra station also means you can use both a powder sensor and a seat and crimp in separate stations. It also will make it easy to use a bullet feeder in the future if I decide to remove the powder cop.

The XL 650 also has auto advance. I do not at this time do precision rifle, so I do not need to manually inspect each round and manually advance same.

It is my understanding that both now have case feeders (my XL 650 does), so that's not a problem anymore. Although I am not sure if the 550 case feeder does rifle.

I am not sure about the 550, but the only weak area I see in the XL 650 is the primer system. You need to be sure to keep it clean, greased and properly aligned or seating primers can be a pain and time consuming process. However, once you figure it out loading humms along nicely.

Your mileage may vary, but so far the XL650 is working for me.

Good luck with your choice OP.

Also, before I forget, Dillon is a good company with a helpful service department.
Thanks for all your information. I'm going to take a closer look at the 650 on Dillons website and maybe call their customer service line and ask a few questions. I load a lot of different calibers and really need an all in one do it all press.

The 550 will load a larger variety of cartridges. The 650/750 with a case feeder will load them a bit faster than the 550. It's ideal to be able to look over each system and pull the handles and watch the changes that occur, but that's a bit difficult in pandemic times.

I prep and prime all my bottleneck cases before they get to the loading presses, both Lee.
I will not waste time hoping and praying that the primers are 100% on a progressive press…
To each there own.

Last Edited:
Well I'm still on the fence but I'm going to take a closer look at the 550 and the 650 before making a decision. My biggest complaint with the dillon turret is the primer feed system, its difficult to get it adjusted just right and even then I'm picking them up off the floor. Also the powder measure always strikes the primer feeder while the turret goes around the circle
That was supposed to be Lee not Dillon

... Also the powder measure always strikes the primer feeder while the turret goes around the circle
Might I suggest the Entirely Crimson Quick disconnect for the powder measure head. It allows me to position things more easily such that the primer alarm is not as much in the way - still a little, but not as much. It also makes things much easier for dumping excess powder.

I currently load on the 550 and went back and forth between the 550 vs 650 at the time, now it has been replaced with the 750.

I found this article helpful, Brian used to sell Dillon presses but no longer does.

Doesn't look like he updated it with the 750 info.

I think for multiple calibers the 550 has the edge as it's cheaper to switch between calibers. I don't think the case feeder is worth it on the 550, and wouldn't want the 750 without one.

Note by cheaper to switch calibers we're talking relative. 550 is $65 for the conversion and $150 for the deluxe quick change kit. The 750 is currently $105 for the caliber conversion and $155 for the deluxe quick change kit. So $215-260 per caliber.

You don't need the deluxe quick change kit but I see this as a plus for the press. It has dedicated tool head and powder measure so you can just leave your dies set. Pull two pins and you can have your dies for the next caliber ready to go.

I would like to grab a 750 for my most used caliber (9mm) and then run all my other calibers I shoot less on the 550. But at that point unless I found one used cheap I think the ultimate goal would be an 1100 for that use. It has the built in swager and a lot more stations. However the caliber conversion for the 1100 is $165 and the quick change tool head is $345, so $510 per caliber conversion. Aka why it would be a one caliber press for me. Or add the 223/556 to that later on.

Enough rambling from me. The good news is you can't really go wrong with a Dillon and the resale is great on them if you want to switch presses later. Dillon has the best customer service but note that they are way behind right now and things are backordered and shipping slowly.

I currently load on the 550 and went back and forth between the 550 vs 650 at the time, now it has been replaced with the 750.

I found this article helpful, Brian used to sell Dillon presses but no longer does.

Doesn't look like he updated it with the 750 info.

I think for multiple calibers the 550 has the edge as it's cheaper to switch between calibers. I don't think the case feeder is worth it on the 550, and wouldn't want the 750 without one.

Note by cheaper to switch calibers we're talking relative. 550 is $65 for the conversion and $150 for the deluxe quick change kit. The 750 is currently $105 for the caliber conversion and $155 for the deluxe quick change kit. So $215-260 per caliber.

You don't need the deluxe quick change kit but I see this as a plus for the press. It has dedicated tool head and powder measure so you can just leave your dies set. Pull two pins and you can have your dies for the next caliber ready to go.

I would like to grab a 750 for my most used caliber (9mm) and then run all my other calibers I shoot less on the 550. But at that point unless I found one used cheap I think the ultimate goal would be an 1100 for that use. It has the built in swager and a lot more stations. However the caliber conversion for the 1100 is $165 and the quick change tool head is $345, so $510 per caliber conversion. Aka why it would be a one caliber press for me. Or add the 223/556 to that later on.

Enough rambling from me. The good news is you can't really go wrong with a Dillon and the resale is great on them if you want to switch presses later. Dillon has the best customer service but note that they are way behind right now and things are backordered and shipping slowly.
I'm at a loss, is the shell plate the caliber conversion and the tool head is the alumimum block that the dies thread into? This is the one thing I like the most about the dillon 550 press is the tool head or die head, they look like a much easier design to copy. I've been a machiist for 23 plus years and I've made a few Lee turrets on a mill but they are not easy to copy where as the Dillon die head looks pretty simple to recreate

How many 7 mag and 06 do you plan on loading per year?
I think most people with a 550 or 650 deprime and prime off the machine when loading bottleneck rifle, leaving just charging and seating so I don't really see the utility there.
If you want a good precision rifle press, a coax is thought to be top tier.

Yep

Shellplate

And toolhead
D1E7DD3F-F050-46A8-A328-26DB988A61D0.jpeg 8D24B3B1-1B2F-4615-8EE5-F1C6107339DF.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

Back Top