JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Big 5's in my area always seem to get new 22LR. ammo every Friday morning. Decent (relative) prices, usually Federal or Aguila. I just placed an order at the CCI website, Bought enough Velocitor and 22WMR to get free shipping ($99). 22LR Quiet is $4.99 for box of 50.

Back in the day, Remington used to be our go-to .22 rimfire ammunition. Seems as their machinery began to wear out, their product started to go south. This Remington .22 round was spanked four times, quite hard, until it made any noise:
View attachment 893007
Now that they too are under new ownership, I hope they can get back on track as being a top notch .22 rimfire producer once again.
I wonder this too. I didn't know if Remington had perpetual issues either based on their powder or their ammo in general. Some won't buy it anymore for that reason..I believe I bought new ammo shown above and could potentially test this out. From what I understand about rimfire is the primer is the most important overall providing everything else is in good shape; brass, powder and bullet itself all coming together, primer just being a delicate installation in the brass. If the primer recipe is improved, I could see where this could really take off in hopes of restoring consistency in the ammo firing. Did that one happen to be a Thunderbolt or a Golden Bullet if you remember?

Now I don't have much to offer past this but if rimfire is made RAPIDLY, I'd see why thus ammo is subject to errors or dings. What have you. Merely machine errors. So people have been angry of this but it's 22 and unless your ammo was in upwards of 20 a box of 50 and the tolerances are mighty high, I think folks should just be flexible. If I got a batch of water balloons that popped a lot, I might as well just go along with it since those are a dime a dozen. But consistently having issues with ammo might depend on what it is, the more expensive the ammo the more expectations on that to perform.

Big 5's in my area always seem to get new 22LR. ammo every Friday morning. Decent (relative) prices, usually Federal or Aguila. I just placed an order at the CCI website, Bought enough Velocitor and 22WMR to get free shipping ($99). 22LR Quiet is $4.99 for box of 50.
I used to hit up big 5. Then they were one of the first stores to drive up the price of ammo .223 for about 50 cents a round (brass though). That was still high in my book... had I bought it beforehand, that would have made a filthy $ exchange because the amount was I believe over 2k rounds, and selling it 6 months later would have been 0 problems. I'm not about that kind of thing. The extortion of it is ludicrous. Lucrative but ludicrous.
I bought wolf steel .223 last year in bulk before it really hit hard in the next few months and that purchase was about 33 cents a round if I rounded with the shipping costs. No biggie. Now that's fluctuated to nearly a $1+ and now has dropped considerably to nearly 43 cents for steel. I used ammoseek just to take a guide price. It will ebb and flow based on location,demand and quality so don't consider that a hard price from me. The perspective however is clear, it shows that the first to raise prices of ammo will often be subject to scrutiny. Others will follow.

Question is : did we really have an ammo shortage or was the demand so high that anyone who bought ammo off the shelves took the stores and then online groups caught wind of it made the most of it for them by cornering the market? A perfect storm though as millions found their first weapons last year, there wasn't much ammo or gun companies could do. They were working to their best abilities, hardly changing what they have in the past. This isn't their first merry-go-round, however shutting down the country in places, employees either had to be cut or altogether. I have no idea if they truly stopped altogether at a point.

This is what I bought in the last 7 days at local stores. :D
Even found some 30-30's

20210606_163848.jpg

This is what I bought in the last 7 days at local stores. :D
Even found some 30-30's

View attachment 900192
Nice. Picked up Thunderbolts and people call them trash. Great, more for those who don't mind it at all.

My stockpile of .22LR is high enough that I had to clean out my safe and put it in storage. FYI, cat litter buckets are a great way to store things of a heavy nature like ammo keeping things tidy. I was somewhat surprised how much in storage for one trip. Wouldn't be surprised if I do more.

Nice. Picked up Thunderbolts and people call them trash. Great, more for those who don't mind it at all.

My stockpile of .22LR is high enough that I had to clean out my safe and put it in storage. FYI, cat litter buckets are a great way to store things of a heavy nature like ammo keeping things tidy. I was somewhat surprised how much in storage for one trip. Wouldn't be surprised if I do more.
My brother in law and I went in on a 10/22 for my great nephew a few years ago. We take him on our 10 camping trip every August and he needs some camp ammo to plink away on. :s0015:

My brother in law and I went in on a 10/22 for my great nephew a few years ago. We take him on our 10 camping trip every August and he needs some camp ammo to plink away on. :s0015:
It was 6 cents a round. I could not pass that up for just about unlimited plinking around camp.

Yep that was about the same for some automatch from Federal and some Remington Golden Bullets I got about a month ago. Hey its cheap. I get people don't like the stuff all the time but if you get the right gun(s) it doesn't give you much grief and better to have a box for an hour or so instead of nothing. I'm getting my daughter into this but she needs a more appropriate .22 for her size. Happy to have that ammo regardless.

Eley has been bleeding in Slowly at the target shooting supply houses. So far the price has not been inflated and I've been getting a couple of bricks a month.

Eley has been bleeding in Slowly at the target shooting supply houses. So far the price has not been inflated and I've been getting a couple of bricks a month.
You seem like you would know the price point of these. Do you remember the price of before? I bought one box of precision ammo Lapua, nearly 20 a box of 50. Only one though. I can't say I'd buy more, but I'd use that for a special purpose. Haven't seen ELEY ammo on shelves yet.

You seem like you would know the price point of these. Do you remember the price of before? I bought one box of precision ammo Lapua, nearly 20 a box of 50. Only one though. I can't say I'd buy more, but I'd use that for a special purpose. Haven't seen ELEY ammo on shelves yet.
It seems like a couple years ago I was paying about 13 to 14 bucks a Box for eley 10X. This lots bunch I paid 17.50.

I just started shooting my match 22 guns again I've been shooting air guns for my plinking more than the last couple of years so I started stalking up beginning of last year.

It seems like a couple years ago I was paying about 13 to 14 bucks a Box for eley 10X. This lots bunch I paid 17.50.

I just started shooting my match 22 guns again I've been shooting air guns for my plinking more than the last couple of years so I started stalking up beginning of last year.
Definitely on the air rifle part myself. Especially when you can get the Daisy .22 pellets for 3-5 bucks a pack of 200? A lot easier on the wallet and the accuracy isn't all that bad. Teaches me how to correct even if I am shooting from a close distance. I don't think I'm shooting further than 20 feet with it. I admit I get a little bit of everything in the pellet dept. Helps to learn a dynamic even if you can't get to a range. Ammo isn't necessarily an issue for me but the ease of going gets difficult now.

I'm back to shooting air guns like I did a few years ago. For a while there that's all I did from about 8 o'clock to 11 o'clock out of my shop. Then I had to leave the house to the ex wife so I lost my air gun range.

I'm back to shooting air guns like I did a few years ago. For a while there that's all I did from about 8 o'clock to 11 o'clock out of my shop. Then I had to leave the house to the ex wife so I lost my air gun range.
That is one of the great things about air guns. Almost all live where they can set up some kind of safe shooting with these. Now that I have tried one of the PCP's I wonder why I waited so long!! :D

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top