Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Did Washington finally switch to wallet friendly CPL cards?

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by PDXoriginal, Sep 15, 2012.

1. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

I remember awhile back someone said Washington was changing their CPL to a wallet friendly ID card size, but I never heard anything else about this.

Has this happened yet?

2. John Gault

John Gault clackamas county Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

Ok, I don't really know the answer to this BUT i am hoping to have a very current answer for you soon. Nobody took my picture while I was there? I thought that was odd?? Please tell me I don't have to go back again.

The one thing I know for sure was that they took my MONEY!

3. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

No photo required, it is used in tandem with your State issued driver license/ID/passport. Currently it is a piece of paper, and it takes a real beating in the wallet no matter what pocket/slot/photo-sleeve you store it in. I would suspect a plastic credit card format would be no different as far as the photo is concerned, but it sure would be nice to have something more durable and not get ruined by moisture.

(no, I do not have sweaty butt!... ;) ).

4. GTeye

GTeye Lake Stevens, WA New Member

I just picked up my CPL a couple of weeks ago and it is indeed different than the older ones. at least as i was told when I purchased a firearm last week, the person behind the counter didn't even recognize it and one of his comments was "Wow, that's the new one, eh? It's not blue anymore", it's a white background and they laminated it, I think it was $3.00 extra for the lamination, you could do it yourself I guess but I didn't want to bother for $3.00.

It fits perfectly in my wallet.

5. Stomper

Stomper Oceania Rising White Is The New Brown Silver Supporter

So it is a credit card sized piece of paper that has been laminated? I've had my Clark County CPL for a couple years now, and its a piece of paper about the same dimensions as a traffic citation that I folded into three sections to fit in my wallet. In Oregon I have had a Multnomuh and Marion County CHL and they were/are hard plastic just like a Driver License complete with photo and personal info.

Still, a CC sized piece of laminated paper would be better than what I have ATM.

6. Blitzkrieg

Blitzkrieg WA Well-Known Member

For $1 they laminated ours.. I do have to fold mine in half to fit in my Blackhawk wallet

7. GTeye

GTeye Lake Stevens, WA New Member

Here in Lake Stevens, WA it is a credit card sized laminated piece of paper.

8. Botte Hork

Botte Hork Camas WA Well-Known Member

Got mine from the local PD very recently, still a big sheet of white paper with partially blue patterned background:

medium.jpg

I guess this is still old?

9. Blitzkrieg

Mine is a slightly larger than CC sized laminated card.. nothing like that.. I even had to trim some of the excess laminate off but that thing looks archaic.. in 22 years here never was issued a huge certificate like that

10. Botte Hork

Back has nothing on it, so I can fold it, but it'll likely be bigger than a credit card even with careful edge trimming. Oh well, I'll get a special wallet for it.

11. Nwcid

Nwcid Yakima and N of Spokane Well-Known Member

Fold it and laminate it. Not that hard and been working well for years that way..................

ironmike86 and (deleted member) like this.
  12. Tony617

Tony617 Washington State Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter

I got my permit a month ago and was a piece of paper. I was able to fold it in half and it fit in a credit card slot in my wallet. I just laminated it myself as it was taking some damage inside my wallet.

13. rumblebee1967

rumblebee1967 Bellingham Active Member

Mine is about a year old and I have been folding them in half everytime I get a new one and laminating them. They hold up very well in the wallet that way.

Nwcid and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Botte Hork

So everybody folds it in half, which was my plan as well (half-ish....), but it's still significantly wider than a credit card. Trimming the sides is not really much of an option as I wasn't using my brain when signing the thing, so that would start cutting into the signature rapidly. Also, at which line (in reference to the picture I posted above) would you fold, as it can fold over some of the information. Also, which parts did you guys cut?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions. :)

15. cwegga

cwegga Helena, MT Active Member

The best place to fold if it's still the old big one like in the picture is right below your birthday sex height information but above the month day year labels. As for cutting I only cut the laminating material.

Botte Hork and (deleted member) like this.
  16. FireFighterChen

FireFighterChen Pasco, WA Member

Yep, same here, the card after being folded/laminated/trimmed barely fits into the ID pocket portion of my wallet. My OR permit was a nice plastic card, exact same dimensions as a credit card. I hope WA moves away from the permit system and goes Constitutional carry...but if that doesn't happen at least for them to move to an OR style plastic card would be nice before my next renewal.

Blitzkrieg and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Blitzkrieg

I turn mine sideways and fold it under the other cards so I don't lose it

18. 8ball

8ball WA Quit talkin' and start chalking!

So why does Lake Stevens have a card sized CPL and the rest of us in WA still get the oversized paper certificate?

19. lamrith

lamrith tacoma Active Member

Last I heard the state was going to do some trial runs, maybe they choose random people, or are testing in a certain area specifically? Has anyone received one of the new cards?

20. MarkAd

MarkAd Port Orchard Well-Known Member

I libe in kitsap county. my cpl has always been a bit larger than a credit card. trim off a bit of the lamination and it fits my wallet.