JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I remember awhile back someone said Washington was changing their CPL to a wallet friendly ID card size, but I never heard anything else about this.

Has this happened yet?

Ok, I don't really know the answer to this BUT i am hoping to have a very current answer for you soon. Nobody took my picture while I was there? I thought that was odd?? Please tell me I don't have to go back again.

The one thing I know for sure was that they took my MONEY!

No photo required, it is used in tandem with your State issued driver license/ID/passport. Currently it is a piece of paper, and it takes a real beating in the wallet no matter what pocket/slot/photo-sleeve you store it in. I would suspect a plastic credit card format would be no different as far as the photo is concerned, but it sure would be nice to have something more durable and not get ruined by moisture.

(no, I do not have sweaty butt!... ;) ).

I just picked up my CPL a couple of weeks ago and it is indeed different than the older ones. at least as i was told when I purchased a firearm last week, the person behind the counter didn't even recognize it and one of his comments was "Wow, that's the new one, eh? It's not blue anymore", it's a white background and they laminated it, I think it was $3.00 extra for the lamination, you could do it yourself I guess but I didn't want to bother for $3.00.

It fits perfectly in my wallet.

So it is a credit card sized piece of paper that has been laminated? I've had my Clark County CPL for a couple years now, and its a piece of paper about the same dimensions as a traffic citation that I folded into three sections to fit in my wallet. In Oregon I have had a Multnomuh and Marion County CHL and they were/are hard plastic just like a Driver License complete with photo and personal info.

Still, a CC sized piece of laminated paper would be better than what I have ATM.

Mine is a slightly larger than CC sized laminated card.. nothing like that.. I even had to trim some of the excess laminate off but that thing looks archaic.. in 22 years here never was issued a huge certificate like that

I got my permit a month ago and was a piece of paper. I was able to fold it in half and it fit in a credit card slot in my wallet. I just laminated it myself as it was taking some damage inside my wallet.

So everybody folds it in half, which was my plan as well (half-ish....), but it's still significantly wider than a credit card. Trimming the sides is not really much of an option as I wasn't using my brain when signing the thing, so that would start cutting into the signature rapidly. Also, at which line (in reference to the picture I posted above) would you fold, as it can fold over some of the information. Also, which parts did you guys cut?

Thanks for answering my newbie questions. :)

So everybody folds it in half, which was my plan as well (half-ish....), but it's still significantly wider than a credit card. Trimming the sides is not really much of an option as I wasn't using my brain when signing the thing, so that would start cutting into the signature rapidly. Also, at which line (in reference to the picture I posted above) would you fold, as it can fold over some of the information. Also, which parts did you guys cut?

The best place to fold if it's still the old big one like in the picture is right below your birthday sex height information but above the month day year labels. As for cutting I only cut the laminating material.

Yep, same here, the card after being folded/laminated/trimmed barely fits into the ID pocket portion of my wallet. My OR permit was a nice plastic card, exact same dimensions as a credit card. I hope WA moves away from the permit system and goes Constitutional carry...but if that doesn't happen at least for them to move to an OR style plastic card would be nice before my next renewal.

I turn mine sideways and fold it under the other cards so I don't lose it

Last I heard the state was going to do some trial runs, maybe they choose random people, or are testing in a certain area specifically? Has anyone received one of the new cards?

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top