JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
If an unidentified person knocked on your door at 1:30AM, would you answer the door carrying?

Yes. But I also wouldn't stand in front of my door or open it without asking the person on the other side to identify themselves.

I'd also never live in Florida, so the odds of being shot in my doorway by numbskullery is reduced significantly on that little factoid alone.

Hi all,
I would like to know if the Deputys were in uniform or not. Did the door have a way to see into the hall way? Would you have asked who was at the door.

And place yourself in the Deputys place. Do you come to the door pointing a gun at the person / persons outside. I think not, maybe answer the door with the gun in hand pointing it at the ground.

And Yes the whole thing sound like it was Justified.

Tony Portland, Oregon Area

"It's just a bizarre set of circumstances. The bottom line is, you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police office, you're going to get shot," Herrell said.

In the early-morning hours, deputies knocked on 26-year-old Andrew Lee Scott's door without identifying themselves as law enforcement officers. Scott answered the door with a gun in his hand.

Protocol would dictate that the police have to indentify themselves, regardless of the situation. If they are approaching a residence with the intention of apprehending a known felon, they first set-up to block avenues of escape before going to the door and announcing. It sounds like these guys went to the door, not identifying themselves, probably weapons at the ready, and this poor sap (I must admit, he exhibited some bad judgement) opened the door with a piece drawn. Bada-Bing, Bada-Boom. Just a lousy deal for everyone involved. And Tony, if you have a gun out of the holster and in your hand, regardless of if it's pointing at the ground, it is a drawn weapon, and the police can justifiably shoot you as they have a reasonable fear for their safety.

First it seems like a not so good neighborhood? Regardless, you lookout your peep hole, if you have one, but someone literally probably BANGING on your door would make you very concerned and afraid. Answer it they shoot you or beat you. Don't answer it they probably break in (family or no family in the house). I would have a gun drawn, or as you open it you see the guns drawn and you draw yours to defend your life...BANG BANG BANG. You're going into the light and it was your fault for answering the door at 1:30am in fear. Good or Bad, when they are banging on your door fear of death motivates your thinking.

They get to go home and think it over. All is well...justified

Oh, and who was really there to say he was pointing the gun :huh: Not like cya regarding the deputy's mistake, the department's mistake comes into play when stating the "facts".

If the facts are true and it was the case, they did their job.

Dude was wrong, and I should think he brought it on himself for living in fear. Defending your home is punishable by Judge Dredd on the otheside of the door..."I am the Law!"

Man, that's a tough one for either "side"!

Civilian was right to be cautious and is allowed to protect himself, police were right to protect themselves as the gun was drawn.

Not sure how I'd react either.

wrong wrong wrong on both parts, if someone could answer how you holster a gun with just your undies on in the middle of the night that would be great. cause if someones pounding on my door at 130 am i dont usually consider dressing and holstering up. im confused on this and its driving me crazy thinking about cause if you imagine that was you how would you have reacted differently in the heat of the moment. Say he sets it on the couch close by there gonna come in and shoot him anyways they are chasing an attempted murder suspect they are ready for anything. Just a really freak "INCIDENT". Just my 2 pennies

51ERS0WPK9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51ERS0WPK9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

There had to have been a warrant issued, and did some clerk of the court enter the wrong adress on the warrant? Deputies going to where they honestly believed this felon was in hiding? Enough SNAFU to go around, and who's to say it's going to get any better.

1. I wouldn't be opening the door for anyone at that hour without knowing for sure that they were the police.

2. If I was going to the door to find out who it was, I would be holding my pistol behind my back.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top