Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by oneharmonic, Jul 16, 2012.

1. oneharmonic

oneharmonic Portland, OR Well-Known Member

Deputies shoot, kill man after knocking on wrong door | Local News - WESH Home

Summary:

Police looking for a murder suspect knock on the wrong door at 1:30AM. They do not identify themselves as police. A man answers the door carrying a gun. Police shoot and kill the man, later finding out that he wasn't the murder suspect.

If an unidentified person knocked on your door at 1:30AM, would you answer the door carrying?

2. BAMCIS

BAMCIS Eugene Well-Known Member

I bet lawyers are knocking on the door now.

Fumes and (deleted member) like this.
  3. DOA

DOA Aloha, OR -185th & TV Hwy Active Member

That is so wrong, on so many levels.:noway:

Grunwald, Glockman19, svxr8dr and 5 others like this.
  4. dmancornell

dmancornell Portland, OR New Member

This will be rubber-stamped as justified. Bank on it.

5. coyoteman5

coyoteman5 North south east west Active Member

I pretty sure that cop would anwser his door at that hour not knowing who it was with gun in hand.

Redcap, soberups, Rascals and 3 others like this.
  6. nwdrifter

nwdrifter troutdale oregon Active Member

Cop needs to do time. But then again most deserve time.

7. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

Yes. But I also wouldn't stand in front of my door or open it without asking the person on the other side to identify themselves.

I'd also never live in Florida, so the odds of being shot in my doorway by numbskullery is reduced significantly on that little factoid alone.

8. netcarrier

netcarrier Portland, Oregon Active Member

Hi all,
    I would like to know if the Deputys were in uniform or not. Did the door have a way to see into the hall way? Would you have asked who was at the door.

And place yourself in the Deputys place. Do you come to the door pointing a gun at the person / persons outside. I think not, maybe answer the door with the gun in hand pointing it at the ground.

And Yes the whole thing sound like it was Justified.

Tony Portland, Oregon Area

9. lv1986

lv1986 SW WA New Member

"It's just a bizarre set of circumstances. The bottom line is, you point a gun at a deputy sheriff or police office, you're going to get shot," Herrell said.

In the early-morning hours, deputies knocked on 26-year-old Andrew Lee Scott's door without identifying themselves as law enforcement officers. Scott answered the door with a gun in his hand.

10. whiskeybill

whiskeybill Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

Protocol would dictate that the police have to indentify themselves, regardless of the situation. If they are approaching a residence with the intention of apprehending a known felon, they first set-up to block avenues of escape before going to the door and announcing. It sounds like these guys went to the door, not identifying themselves, probably weapons at the ready, and this poor sap (I must admit, he exhibited some bad judgement) opened the door with a piece drawn. Bada-Bing, Bada-Boom. Just a lousy deal for everyone involved. And Tony, if you have a gun out of the holster and in your hand, regardless of if it's pointing at the ground, it is a drawn weapon, and the police can justifiably shoot you as they have a reasonable fear for their safety.

11. DOA

First it seems like a not so good neighborhood? Regardless, you lookout your peep hole, if you have one, but someone literally probably BANGING on your door would make you very concerned and afraid. Answer it they shoot you or beat you. Don't answer it they probably break in (family or no family in the house). I would have a gun drawn, or as you open it you see the guns drawn and you draw yours to defend your life...BANG BANG BANG. You're going into the light and it was your fault for answering the door at 1:30am in fear. Good or Bad, when they are banging on your door fear of death motivates your thinking.

They get to go home and think it over. All is well...justified

12. DOA

Oh, and who was really there to say he was pointing the gun :huh: Not like cya regarding the deputy's mistake, the department's mistake comes into play when stating the "facts".

If the facts are true and it was the case, they did their job.

Dude was wrong, and I should think he brought it on himself for living in fear. Defending your home is punishable by Judge Dredd on the otheside of the door..."I am the Law!"

13. deen_ad

deen_ad Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

Man, that's a tough one for either "side"!

Civilian was right to be cautious and is allowed to protect himself, police were right to protect themselves as the gun was drawn.

Not sure how I'd react either.

14. lv1986

lv1986 SW WA New Member

wrong wrong wrong on both parts, if someone could answer how you holster a gun with just your undies on in the middle of the night that would be great. cause if someones pounding on my door at 130 am i dont usually consider dressing and holstering up. im confused on this and its driving me crazy thinking about cause if you imagine that was you how would you have reacted differently in the heat of the moment. Say he sets it on the couch close by there gonna come in and shoot him anyways they are chasing an attempted murder suspect they are ready for anything. Just a really freak "INCIDENT". Just my 2 pennies

15. revmedia

revmedia Dallas Member

I think, as usual, there's a lot more to this story than we're getting.

16. Redcap

Redcap Lewis County, WA Well-Known Member

Another case of piss-poor police work. Wrong house? Did not identify themselves? Shot an innocent man for trying to protect his home? Fry 'em.

17. SonicBlue03

SonicBlue03 Snohomish Well-Known Member

51ERS0WPK9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

51ERS0WPK9L._SL500_AA300_.jpg

18. JGRuby

JGRuby Portland Oregon New Member

Either way we the tax payers will end up paying for the LEO's mistake. If the LEO is found guilty they should have to pay themselves.

James Ruby

Dunerunner and (deleted member) like this.
  19. whiskeybill

whiskeybill Battle Ground, WA Well-Known Member

There had to have been a warrant issued, and did some clerk of the court enter the wrong adress on the warrant? Deputies going to where they honestly believed this felon was in hiding? Enough SNAFU to go around, and who's to say it's going to get any better.

20. accessbob

accessbob Molalla, OR 2A Supporter

1. I wouldn't be opening the door for anyone at that hour without knowing for sure that they were the police.

2. If I was going to the door to find out who it was, I would be holding my pistol behind my back.

Sun195 and (deleted member) like this.