JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Lets say the tides are turned and the civilian shot and killed the cop because he thought he was a criminal breaking into his house.. Let's say the cops busted open the door unannounced and he shot and killed one of the cops and than surrendered himself once he realized what he had done.. Wouldn't this guy be put away for life as a "cop killer"? I mean would the same protections be given to the civilian for the mistaken identification as for the police officers? Somebody lost a family member today and somebody should be punished. I just think the human life of a police officer is no more or less valuable than a law-abiding citizen.

Lets say the tides are turned and the civilian shot and killed the cop because he thought he was a criminal breaking into his house.. Let's say the cops busted open the door unannounced and he shot and killed one of the cops and than surrendered himself once he realized what he had done.. Wouldn't this guy be put away for life as a "cop killer"? I mean would the same protections be given to the civilian for the mistaken identification as for the police officers? Somebody lost a family member today and somebody should be punished. I just think the human life of a police officer is no more or less valuable than a law-abiding citizen.

He'd be charged and without corroborating evidence that they didn't identify themselves he'd go to the pokey (unless at least one was honest/straightforward and admitted they didn't identify themselves.)

Put away for life? Try death row: Cory Maye - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

So quick question? Do they have everyones picture on file or does that look like a mugshot? Also they said there were drugs in the house, so kind makes me wonder if he would have shot at the cops if he were given the chance. I know we will never know but the LEO must have thought their lives were in danger.

It will settle out of court.

It would seem in this 'day and age' given the technology we have, coupled with the emphasis on 'safety' (as was so well pointed out) there would be a little more pre-qualifying as to the identity of the person in the house and maybe something less invasive (and possibly less dangerous) such as, well, figuring out if there was a phone in the house to call, or perhaps establishing surveillance with hi def electronics? I mean knocking on the door seems so antiquated - and dangerous given the hi-tech options we now have. I can understand if the situation were acute and required immediate response there may be no other choice but that did not seem to be necessary according to the story.

Im not opening my door for anyone I dont know at 1:30 in the morning unless they identify themselves as police. In that case, I will verify that they are police by calling 911 before I open the door.

To answer the original question: yes, I would, yes, I have, yes, I will again in the future.

Also, as Soberups said, I would verify it was PD. Wasn't it just a week ago that a burglar in Tacoma identified himself as "Tacoma PD" right before throwing a hatchet at the homeowner and being shot in response?

Terrible situation for everyone. Not the first time it's happened and, unfortunately, certainly not the last either.

The same thing happaned to me once; 2:00am and a Clackamas County Sherrif was pounding on my front door! When I asked who was pounding on my door I did not get an answer from the Deputy right away, to this day I have no idea why. I had a 1911 45ACP within reach, but not in hand. The door was soild, I couldn't see who was standing on the otherside of the door. I asked 2 more times who was pounding on my door, after about 30 seconds the officer ID'd himself, and asked me to open the door. At the time my family and I were living in a rental home in a part of town known as "Felony Flats" so I asked the officer why he wanted me to open the door? The officer told me that he had a report of a "Women Screaming" he asked that I open the door again, I did as requested, and opened the chained door just a fraction, the officer pushed the door open to the end of the chain and shined his flashlight in my face and into the house.
The officer then asked if my wife was in the house, I told him that she and my 2 children were in the home sleeping, he then asked that I wake her and ask her to come to the door. I told him that I was not waking my wife, nor was I letting him into our home without a warrant. At that point the officer turned and got into his car and drove away! That was about the strangest police contact I had ever had! And very creepy; when I told my wife about it she was really freaked out. 2 weeks later our home was broken into, 30 days after that we moved!
My hand was never more than 2 feet from my gun.
Was I wrong? Tell me what you would have done? :huh:

There had to have been a warrant issued, and did some clerk of the court enter the wrong adress on the warrant? Deputies going to where they honestly believed this felon was in hiding? Enough SNAFU to go around, and who's to say it's going to get any better.

The article says the deputies went to that particular door because the wanted individuals motorcycle was parked in front of it (see pic in article). In my opinion that right there was the second mistake the police made. The first being that if you are picking up a guy for homicide, then call up you SWAT team and have them do it, as they are better equiped. Cops are humans and they do make mistakes, however, when they do they are suppose to hold themselves to a higher standard of accountability. In this case, it wouldn't suprise me if the guy answering the door was not pointing the gun at them, but just had it in his hand. Cops can go from start to finish as to the outcome if they shot a guy that just had a gun in his hand, but not pointed at anyone in a threatening manner. I see no difference between a handgun in hand and a shotgun in hand. A shotgun is not going to be holstered and neither should a handgun in this situation. That being said, I have always taught my family, especially the kids to never answer the door to someone they do not know, or even if they do know them when the wife and I are not home. What happened is very tragic and should have never happened in the first place.

OK real simple.
You live in a bad neighborhood (someone speculated) and someoen at the door?
Call 911 and verify that the LEO aren't coming to your house and tell then you are armed in case this is a break in. Please let me know if these are cops or send some and I'll put my guns down.

Tell the guys at the door you are armed and you will defend your house and have called 911. A wanted felon most likely won't talk officially to the intruders but tell them to GTFO! And obviously won't be calling 911

If they don't identify themselves,stand back from the door,to one side,so when the unknowns break in you are out of their line of site and can engage them.A few shot gun blasts will send most people,from any walk of life out of the house.

So the cops "F" up and the guy wasn't very bright opening the door,especially if he lived in a bad neighborhood,at 1AM

No matter who did or didn't identify themselves

The cops should burn though.

It would seem in this 'day and age' given the technology we have, coupled with the emphasis on 'safety' (as was so well pointed out) there would be a little more pre-qualifying as to the identity of the person in the house and maybe something less invasive (and possibly less dangerous) such as, well, figuring out if there was a phone in the house to call, or perhaps establishing surveillance with hi def electronics? I mean knocking on the door seems so antiquated - and dangerous given the hi-tech options we now have. I can understand if the situation were acute and required immediate response there may be no other choice but that did not seem to be necessary according to the story.

We all know most of these things are done with some intelligence from the locals,informants,right? Find out the where and whens?

Maybe there was to be some ca$h on hand? Maybe they wanted that from the right house?
Start going hi-tec and get too many people involved.I mean why was there only 2 cops there and not the swat team as usual?

OK real simple.
You live in a bad neighborhood (someone speculated) and someoen at the door?
Call 911 and verify that the LEO aren't coming to your house and tell then you are armed in case this is a break in. Please let me know if these are cops or send some and I'll put my guns down.

Tell the guys at the door you are armed and you will defend your house and have called 911. A wanted felon most likely won't talk officially to the intruders but tell them to GTFO! And obviously won't be calling 911

If they don't identify themselves,stand back from the door,to one side,so when the unknowns break in you are out of their line of site and can engage them.A few shot gun blasts will send most people,from any walk of life out of the house.

So the cops "F" up and the guy wasn't very bright opening the door,especially if he lived in a bad neighborhood,at 1AM

No matter who did or didn't identify themselves

The cops should burn though.

Yup.

Im not opening my door for anyone I dont know at 1:30 in the morning unless they identify themselves as police. In that case, I will verify that they are police by calling 911 before I open the door.
That was me a few weeks ago. on top of that, they set my alarm off, cops where pissed. the 911 operator and viviant operator could here there bubblegum talking. I had to ask for the shift capt, to come out. The retards where off but two house. I was at a total loss. I have a letter of apology, like it matters

Can't believe it took 29 posts to get to this.

The same thing happaned to me once; 2:00am and a Clackamas County Sherrif was pounding on my front door! When I asked who was pounding on my door I did not get an answer from the Deputy right away, to this day I have no idea why. I had a 1911 45ACP within reach, but not in hand. The door was soild, I couldn't see who was standing on the otherside of the door. I asked 2 more times who was pounding on my door, after about 30 seconds the officer ID'd himself, and asked me to open the door. At the time my family and I were living in a rental home in a part of town known as "Felony Flats" so I asked the officer why he wanted me to open the door? The officer told me that he had a report of a "Women Screaming" he asked that I open the door again, I did as requested, and opened the chained door just a fraction, the officer pushed the door open to the end of the chain and shined his flashlight in my face and into the house.
The officer then asked if my wife was in the house, I told him that she and my 2 children were in the home sleeping, he then asked that I wake her and ask her to come to the door. I told him that I was not waking my wife, nor was I letting him into our home without a warrant. At that point the officer turned and got into his car and drove away! That was about the strangest police contact I had ever had! And very creepy; when I told my wife about it she was really freaked out. 2 weeks later our home was broken into, 30 days after that we moved!
My hand was never more than 2 feet from my gun.
Was I wrong? Tell me what you would have done? :huh:

See above. If an officer won't ID themselves immediately they will get no cooperation from me. Like mbjskim said call 911 and let the operator know that you are armed and those popo's had better get their crap wired tight.

Cop needs to do time. But then again most deserve time.

Really? :rolleyes: So just being a cop is cause for doing time??? Please tell me I am misinterpreting what you are saying.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top