JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I'll give you a hint as to how I answer knocks on the door after the kids are in bed( if you want to know what time they go to bed, start another post and I'll knock your d@$k in the dirt on that page). I bring a legal length but modified 12 gauge to the door and shout like I have something to lose, asking whoever is on the other side to identify themselves. Worst case scenario, whoever is at the door gets shot. If you were lost and looking for directions then you should have been able to follow simple commands like " get the f@#% out of here ". If not, God help you. After the 12 ga. Is empty, they can start on the .40.

lets learn from others mistakes

1st, Don't open the door ask who it is

2nd , visually identify have them go to a window or look through peep hole

3rd, if you still don't truest they are real cops call 911 and have dispatch verify they are in fact cops

In the end cops this is a justifiable homicide police have the law behind them to use force if they have reasonable suspicion their safety lives of themselves or others are in imminent threat

3rd, if you still don't truest they are real cops call 911 and have dispatch verify they are in fact cops

In the end cops this is a justifiable homicide police have the law behind them to use force if they have reasonable suspicion their safety lives of themselves or others are in imminent threat

They better start changing their procedures and fast. There are way too many stories around about instances such as this, as well as using SWAT and going in comando style where a simple old fashioned visit from detectives would sufice. Unless the police de-militarize their tactics and only use SWAT when absolutely nescesary they will create so much bad will with the public that they will lose all support from most people and their forceful entries will turn into battles where they will see increased casualties as well as unsympathetic juries (when there is a trial against someone who fought back).
When that day comes, they will only have themselves to blame.

Was I wrong? Tell me what you would have done?
First got the Officer's name. After he left I would have immediately got on the phone and requested a meeting with a supervisor on duty if for nothing else to determine this response was valid and was recorded by whatever means was being used by the department at the time.

Justifiable?! How entirely asinine.

This is all very sad for those involved, the family who has lost their son, and the officer who will likely never forget squeezing the trigger.

This sounds like a good reason to have the police line saved in your phone, to verify the existence of officers on your front door step, or to send a car to investigate people refusing to leave.

I too answer all knocks or rings of the bell with a gun on my person, and that is mainly because my wife and I live above a business, and it is not plainly evident that our door leads to a residence, so who other than someone who knows us would ever be bothering us.

The sheriff has boldly and proudly and arrogantly announced that he is not going to continue to follow the law.
After reading the story, and the above statement, I am convinced there is a much bigger issue here such as the possibility of 'old school' style corruption throughout the department. I mean if this is the prevailing attitude,
and has gone forward to say they did nothing wrong and they are going to continue to do matters they way that they have done
then this is may be evidence of a farther reaching problem.

I would never answer my door at 1:30 AM and if it gets kicked in and I am awake and in position there will be instant buckshot headed their way

These cops need to face 1st degree murder charges with special circumstances added. I mean the death penalty

Wow this is just stupid. I mean, that could have been me! I sleep early so 1:30 in the morning would be like 3-4am for most people. The way I see it, its like the LEO's saying "oops, i'm sorry". There should be no "oops" when you're the FREAKIN law enforcement professional. Some may have different opinions on this but I aint the one to argue with you all. This is how I see it and the way they do things needs to be more refined...

It may be kind of low-tech but I used to have one of those motion activated double swivel floodlight fixtures mounted above my front door on a previous house I owned. No one can see when facing a couple 300 watt floods!

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top