JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Nearly all modern medicines started out as some tribe's herbal medicine. Ethnobotany is an entire field of study in which the researchers go live with various indigenous people and learn about their medicines and other plant uses. They bring the info back home and the herbal form is trialled under controlled conditions. If it works next step is to isolate the active ingredients if possible. Tweak one or more to enhance power or stability or safety. Patent tweaked version. Make the medicine derived from their tribal knowledge available to the tribe only for high prices they can't afford. We call it ethno botany and drug develooment. They call it theft of their cultural wisdom.

Just because nearly all modern medicines started as herbal medicines doesn't mean that all herbal medicine is effective or safe however.
I think that my OLD FASHIONED 325 mg. per tablet Bayer aspirin originally came from willow bark way back when but I may be wrong. CRS now!

I used to have several books regarding these subject matters.

You are correct in your post especially about some being effective or safe.

Plus some people MIX and overdo - overdose their NATURAL and Rx meds and it can be lethal or cause severe damage to their physical/mental welfare. Organ damage too.

One natural med did this to my older sister and she had some real issues. She was TOLD not to take squat, anything EXTRA, due to her transplant and other issues but she did it anyway. It turns out that the THING that she took was a hormone based thing and not a herb/vitamin.

Cate

Continuing off topic:

Hi Cate,

For years I went to elk camp with my buddy that caught covid in elk camp and died this year.

Hunting and camping in a tent were:
1. My buddy
2. His brother
3. Sometimes his son
4. Sometimes a friend of his

Later as years passed members of his family were added to the group:
1. His daughter and her husband
2. His sister
3. His grandson and fiance
4. His great grandson
5. Some other relatives
6. Friend's grandson

It got to be too much for me to take... too many people, too much hollering, too much bickering, too much politics, but esp too much loud music played ALL THE TIME... from the early morning to late night. I finally quit going cuz it was JUST TOO MUCH.

But the point of this story is that when his daughter got an elk, the three gals howled about how "THE GODDESSES ARE HERE NOW". It was irritating, as if us old male dudes could not get an elk w/o them or had never gotten elk before. I know she was proud to get an elk, but I thought it was hardly an appropriate way to show off by denigrating the rest of us old males.
PS:

I loathe that word. Goddesses! Blahhh.

I only like to READ that word in Greek, Nordic, etc. mythology but NOT when females call themselves that word.

Cate

I don't blame you for being p!ssed about the women yelling about the goddesses when one got an elk. It was a blatant attempt to assert that the hunting camp was now female space and you men did not belong.

It was all the more obnoxious because traditionally going hunting with your father or older male family members and their friends was often a male right of passage where the youngster was eager to show that he could integrate with and act like the older males. And these young women not only weren't integrating into your group. They were rejecting your culture and displacing yours deliberately.
This too!

Thank you.

Cate

Thank you for your thoughts on this!

I hate the word and concept of "goddesses"!! As if they were now top dogs, something extra special, as if female DNA was better or reigns supreme..

View attachment 1153158

Hmmmm, that sucks. WE were there first. It was the Dad's camp, they were there by HIS invitation. But they were taking over? I missed the days when it was just us boyz and we didn't have any GODDESSES!!!

At the time, I didn't think of it that way. But indeed, the first elk camps were def male bonding experiences. And we could freely be gross and smelly, cuzz and tell misogynistic jokes, pee just outside the sitting area, fart and belch... generally act like 5th grade boyz. Once the wimen came into camp, a lot of that changed. I didn't resent them, I just missed the old days. But when the daughter decided to see if she could outgross the males, that was, well, gross. Just one of the boyz, then claims "goddess" status. OMG

ETA: Yes, displacing us... that hurt.
This too! Thank you.

I am slow in reading this and you said what I just typed too. LOL

GREAT minds think alike sometimes! Grin.

It must be all of that swimming that we did and do.

I think that I still have some old salt water not only lake water in my ears or is it the chlorine from the swimming pool?! Ha!

Cate

I think that my OLD FASHIONED 325 mg. per tablet Bayer aspirin originally came from willow bark way back when but I may be wrong. CRS now!

I used to have several books regarding these subject matters.

You are correct in your post especially about some being effective or safe.

Plus some people MIX and overdo - overdose their NATURAL and Rx meds and it can be lethal or cause severe damage to their physical/mental welfare. Organ damage too.

One natural med did this to my older sister and she had some real issues. She was TOLD not to take squat, anything EXTRA, due to her transplant and other issues but she did it anyway. It turns out that the THING that she took was a hormone based thing and not a herb/vitamin.

Cate
Willow bark contains salicin. Willow bark was traditionally used as a pain killer. Salicin is the ingredient in willow bark that causes the pain killing effect. The related derivative acetylsalicylic acid is the active ingredient in aspirin. Both salicin and acetylsalicylic acid are pain killers and have the side effect of causing stomach bleeding or ulcers. So dosage matters. Many aspirins are coated so as to slow down release and lessen the potential for stomach damage. One problem with using willow bark is the amount of salicin you're getting varies widely from batch to batch, making it hard to control dose.

Last Edited:
PS:

I only like to READ that word in Greek, Nordic, etc. mythology but NOT when females call themselves that word.

Cate
There was, and maybe still is, a parallel trend of males calling themselves or somebody else "gods". As in "he's a god" referring to some expertise like environmental science or sporting ability like surfing. IMO it's just as obnoxious. The only "gods" are in mythology as you said.

I wish I could end trends that I don't like... maybe I need the Serenity Prayer, eh?

I agree with you. IT was not NICE, they showed NO manners and it was in POOR TASTE. Enough to leave a bitter taste in your mouth and it makes good friendships FADE away or lose the BOND.

I personally think - BELIEVE - that by expanding that GROUP of people and adding in the females AND other males to it ruined it. What I mean is that an old group could still do THEIR OWN THING with the OLD traditions in HUNTING CAMP.

And IF and WHEN another group wanted to START ANOTHER HUNTING GROUP and add in another couple - a SMALL GROUP that would be okay too.

But to BREAK UP an old tradition of old friends in hunting camp does not sound like a cool idea.

My old and late CO Nam friend, one of my best friends, who died within ONE WEEK of my late husband, used to tell my late husband and me about his HUNTING CAMP stories.

My MT husband talks about many of HIS OWN HUNTS as a kid, young man and on - he still hunts.

SIDE NOTE: My late husband did NOT hunt. He had nothing against hunting - he just was NOT into it. He did go on some walks with some old man when he was a kid and that OLD man did hunt. But my late husband did NOT hunt. He did FISH though. WE were very much alike in MANY subject matters! We did NOT always agree in all things but in MOST things and in the IMPORTANT THINGS IN LIFE. He preferred to SWIM as I did and he was an outstanding swimmer as I was too. He could water ski VERY WELL but I was NOT very good at that. I did TRY it though! LOL He was a VERY good sailor as I was with sail boats and power boats too.

On top of that, I do BELIEVE that males and females need their own time to be together just to BOND.

Meaning, old friends, males as one example, need their OWN SPACE in a smaller group so that they can share OLD and new experiences, old times/new times, and OLD stories.

I call it male, macho bonding time for MEN. THIS IS NOT A SLUR and I used to say that to my late husband and I say it to my MT husband.

My late husband used to have coffee/breakfast ONCE A WEEK on Sunday mornings with 2 OLD school friends when he moved back to his home state and I moved with him to HIS home state after his Nam and around the world - USN time. After my Mom died in Maryland too.

He did this for YEARS ON END except when we was overseas with his AIR NG Fighter Wing or stateside in some other state. When he was dying and he did not want to use a W/C for the last couple of weeks due to his weakness, he could WALK with my help up until the LAST week of his life from the den to the downstairs bathroom, he wanted me to FIX BREAKFAST and MAKE COFFEE FOR HIS OLD FRIENDS on Sunday mornings too. Even if he could not eat. So I did that for HIM. I was his sole caregiver and his doctor did make a few house calls - one on the day that he died too.

Plus the last couple of times that he went OUT to breakfast when he was dying, I had ONE SIDE OF HIM and his BEST friend had the other side of him because he REFUSED to use a w/c and wanted to WALK INTO his favorite haunt for the LAST TIME too. I was so worried but I DID EXACTLY WHAT HE WANTED and how he chose to have HIS bonding time with his CLOSE male friends.

IT was GOOD for him and good for his friends too. ALL of his life. The friendship and bonding thing. Plus they did other things together too. Before his BEST friend got married, my late husband and that friend took ME along to MOST but not all of their trips to the lake. We had not bought any of our sail boats and power boats, we could not afford it due to building the house at the time, but his friend owned a power boat. (I personally only owned ONE sail boat in my life and in my own name. A Sunfish - a glorified surf board with a sail. LOL!)

I did the same BONDING thing with some of my female friends only it was for dinner or lunch on our days off. IT was good for me and for them too.

During the time when we were building our house, we did a TON of sweat equity, we did NOT LAY the brick, we did NOT put up the frame and we did NOT do the roofing... we hardly had ANY TIME OFF other than working, driving a LONG way back and forth to work due to living in the boonies, building, caring for one of his old Aunties and, later on, my own Dad for a time frame - my Mom was already dead from cancer, helping his tiny family, etc.

EVERY PERSON needs time to BOND and enjoy the friendship of old or new friends AND it does not have to only be in male/female setting.

My late husband's best friend, one of two to three VERY close male friends, was like an older brother to me when I lived back there. They were born in the same month and in the same year too. Those 3 men were all like older brothers to me and I love, like and RESPECT them to this day too.

Blessings to you and your wife.

Cate
:s0101:

Your best post EVER Cate.... THANK YOU!!!

There was, and maybe still is, a parallel trend of males calling themselves or somebody else "gods". As in "he's a god" referring to some expertise like environmental science or sporting ability like surfing. IMO it's just as obnoxious. The only "gods" are in mythology as you said.

I wish I could end trends that I don't like... maybe I need the Serenity Prayer, eh?
It is obnoxious!

It is just as bad when a politician or any man or woman in ANY profession thinks that he/she is perfect and they will never ever ADMIT to a mistake or doing something morally wrong.

I will say the Saint Francis one, S.P., for you.

Seriously.

I just turned OFF all of the news. I am sad. Say one for me too.

Cate

Yes, psilocybin is kinda like that... yes it is! ;)
Silicin not silicon. ive edited. That short post involved huge battles with my spell checker. Whoever invented my spell checker was apparently completely free of any scientific or technical familiarity in any field.

Silicin not silicon. ive edited. That short post involved huge battles with my spell checker. Whoever invented my spell checker was apparently completely free of any scientific or technical familiarity in any field.
Bummer!!!

I just ignore mine as sometimes I intentionally misspell for colloquial effect. Other times it's just my damn hands moving on their own and my damn eyes don't see the mistake.

PS:

Cate
Yeah. I also hate it when modern American females call themselves Goddesses or claim to be superior to males just because they are females. I don't find declarations of the superiority of the female gender any more sensible or attractive than the reverse. And as for humans, male or female, declaring themselves gods or goddesses or supermen-- that is hubris, and its deadly. Every time somebody or some group does that, mass murder and genocide seems to follow. Witness the "superior German man" killing six million Jews and gypsies in the ovens of WWII. And the "New Soviet Man" killing off twenty million fellow soviets.

Bummer!!!

I just ignore mine as sometimes I intentionally misspell for colloquial effect. Other times it's just my damn hands moving on their own and my damn eyes don't see the mistake.
Sometimes my spellchecker sneakily waits until I'm gone and then changes the word, I swear it. Especially after I've changed it back a few times.

Upcoming Events

Lakeview Spring Gun Show
Lakeview, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR
Falcon Gun Show - Classic Gun & Knife Show
Stanwood, WA
Wes Knodel Gun & Knife Show - Albany
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top