JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
I have a bottle of Old Vine Zinfandel that cost $35 when i bought it 4 years ago - still aging in my gun safe
Do you have a dehumidifier in your gun safe? Cuz if you do, I'd find a different "cellar" for your zin...

no, it's in the center of the house with a stable humidity of 49%
I was referring to more about the heat. As you know, dehumidifiers give off heat. That's how they reduce the humidity. Heat is the enemy of wine.

there is no home heating duct in that closet - usually about 62 deg all year long
never had a rifle rust in there ether
Fair enough then. I mistook what it is that you referred to as a "safe". Sounds more like a regular room closet...

a neighbor down the road has the best gun closet
they live in an old '50s farm house that had a refrigerated meat locker in the center of the house with an entrance into the kitchen
when the refrigeration unit went out, he converted it into his gun room
you roll the refrigerator out and the door is behind it

a neighbor down the road has the best gun closet
they live in an old '50s farm house that had a refrigerated meat locker in the center of the house with an entrance into the kitchen
when the refrigeration unit went out, he converted it into his gun room
you roll the refrigerator out and the door is behind it
Awesome! Camouflaged, too!

Elk Cove Pinot Gris. Not Pinot Grigio. Oregon wine laws don't allow wineries to rip off appellation names, names defined traditionally in Europe by the particular grapes, style, AND specific regions. Not so California. For example, France has just certain regions that are allowed to call their full-bodied red wines made mostly from Pinot Noire grapes "Burgundy". A winery a few feet outside the Burgundy district cannot legally use the name Burgundy. Its a big deal. The name Burgundy on a bottle increases the price. Likewise with the name Bordeaux, which is a red wine made from a mix of red grapes with the major flavor coming from Cabernet Sauvignon grapes AND produced in the Bordeaux region of France only. Likewise Pinot Grigio, made from Pinot gris grapes in a region in N Italy. California allows its wine makers to rip off those names; Oregon does not.

Elk Cove is in the Willamette Valley of Oregon. WV is capable of producing wonderful Pinot Noires and Pinot Chardonnays, but the ones I like are above $30/bottle. Out of my price range. Willamette Valley also produces spectacular Pinot griss and Rieslings and these varieties are more productive so give us much more affordable wines. The WV Pinot griss are distinctive richly flavored medium bodied wines. They are normally fermented on the skins briefly, then aged briefly (one to two years) in stainless steel tanks, not in oak barrels. The relative short stage of fermenting on the skins and avoiding aging in oak means less tannin in the wines that would need to be mellowed by long ageing. So the wines are usually aged only a year or two, and taste fresh and bright with various fruit and nut overtones with just a touch of sweet instead of like an oak tree. And you can buy extraordinarily good Oregon pinot gris for $12- $18. Good Oregon Pinot gris has just a touch of sweetness. It is very versatile. It goes well with anything -- red or white meat, seafood, cheese, fruit, salad, desert. Or just sipping straight.

For affordable Oregon red wines I suggest Cabernets or red table wines (blends) grown in Southern Oregon rather than than Pinot noires. The Cabernet sauvignon grape seems to develop its full flavor best with the somewhat greater heat of S Oregon.

Here's an Oregon winery that sells affordable wines of high quality by mail order:
https://www.foriswine.com/ Both their Pinot gris and red table wine Flyover Red are excellent and affordable. The Flyover Red is the only red wine I can drink without getting a headache.
my oldest son works in IT in California - for one of the oldest family owned wineries in Napa Valley - they have 50 labels
people go on vacation to visit the wineries he has to work at every day
he told me even the IT people are trained in grape crushing and all aspect of processing the grapes
during harvest season, it's all hand on deck, with even the company finance and sales staff working in the crushing rooms
they pay their harvest workers to be on standby, so when the Brix is perfect for harvest, they have just 24 hrs to get that vineyard in, working under lights at night
and not all vineyards come ripe at the same time, depending on the location in Napa or Lodi areas
the higher elevation vineyards ripen later than those on the valley floor

While the rest of you are slacking my Anatolian is hard at work...who'd of thought letting a coon in a puppy's kennel would instill such a hatred in a dog.

IMG_20231120_191458.jpg

While the rest of you are slacking my Anatolian is hard at work...who'd of thought letting a coon in a puppy's kennel would instill such a hatred in a dog.

View attachment 1766794
we have not seen a raccoon since March when we got the coon hound puppy
not even on trail cams at night
it's only 5 acres, but the raccoons seem to have migrated elsewhere
he's only 11 months old and weighs in at 75

lbs now

Upcoming Events

Rifle Mechanics
Sweet Home, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors May 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Handgun Self Defense Fundamentals