JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
when I lived in Louisiana back in the '60s, my father made raccoon stew (learned in AF survival training)
the taste is still with me!!
no thanks
While back one of the local news outlets had a story on this. Some small store that catered to Asian shoppers sold frozen Racoon. Some kind of farm raised. Someone saw it, called to complain, thinking it was not legal. It was legal. I have to say I had never heard of anyone eating them until then.

While back one of the local news outlets had a story on this. Some small store that catered to Asian shoppers sold frozen Racoon. Some kind of farm raised. Someone saw it, called to complain, thinking it was not legal. It was legal. I have to say I had never heard of anyone eating them until then.
Tastes like possum... :)

If you get a skunk or 2 in them live traps tho....

Tent city bound
Supposedly if you want to transport the skunk to elsewhere you should approach gently and put a blanket over the trap. Supposedly you can then move the trap without the skunk spraying. Or if skunk sprays it won't get past the blanket. Riiiight. Glad I never got a skunk in a trap. Not sure I'd wanna count on not getting sprayed while trying to approach with the blanket for starters. Or on the scent staying inside the blanket if the skunk sprayed while being moved. I always put my live trap at least 50' away from the house and duck night pen in case I caught a skunk and needed to shoot the skunk in the trap. Fortunately I never did.

Supposedly also if you shoot a skunk in the brain, it won't spray. I'm here to tell ya every skunk I shot sprayed as he expired, including the two or three I hit in the brain. So much for traditional lore.

Supposedly if you want to transport the skunk to elsewhere you should approach gently and put a blanket over the trap. Supposedly you can then move the trap without the skunk spraying. Or if skunk sprays it won't get past the blanket. Riiiight. Glad I never got a skunk in a trap. Not sure I'd wanna count on not getting sprayed while trying to approach with the blanket for starters. Or on the scent staying inside the blanket if the skunk sprayed while being moved. I always put my live trap at least 50' away from the house and duck night pen in case I caught a skunk and needed to shoot the skunk in the trap. Fortunately I never did.

Supposedly also if you shoot a skunk in the brain, it won't spray. I'm here to tell ya every skunk I shot sprayed as he expired, including the two or three I hit in the brain. So much for traditional lore.
Your correct! The blanket trick works about 1 out of 10 times, best bet is a plastacatch live trap designed for skunks. I've had 1 skunk not spray when dispatched. There are ways around them not spraying though...

Well, just stay away from the dogs.

View attachment 1230130

Aloha, Mark
Back in the late 90's I was stationed in Kodiak, Alaska. We had a program where active duty folks would help out at the local elementary school. I suppose is was some sort of early childhood indoc into the military or something. I worked in the school that consisted of mostly Filipino kids. I brought my little dog to school one day to let the kids play with it and a little girl told me that she really wanted a puppy, but that Filipinos weren't allowed to take dogs home from the pound anymore. Hmmm.

A game warden I ran into in the middle of nowhere once upon a time told me a story about trying to apprehend a bunch of hippies for poaching a deer which they were cooking over their campfire. But they were innocent. The "deer" turned out to be a stray dog.

3rd day without food being left outside and even my breakfast buddy didn't show up this morning
I expect the raccoons to wander through at night, but I think we got the only ones coming out in the day time
our neighbor got one last night with his shotgun
after we lost the goose, he agreed to shoot any he sees on his property also
he has kenneled dogs and dogfood outside (his wife doesn't allow any animal in the house)

3rd day without food being left outside and even my breakfast buddy didn't show up this morning
I expect the raccoons to wander through at night, but I think we got the only ones coming out in the day time
our neighbor got one last night with his shotgun
after we lost the goose, he agreed to shoot any he sees on his property also
he has kenneled dogs and dogfood outside (his wife doesn't allow any animal in the house)
and he eats and sleeps where?

we live in the woods, raccoon range up to 20 sq miles for food and shelter
lots of forestland for him to live in
there's 50 acres of undeveloped forest behind us
Wasn't wondering about the racoons. Just me assuming that all women view men as animals at least part of the time.

Wasn't wondering about the racoons. Just me assuming that all women view men as animals at least part of the time.
I assume all humans are animals all of the time. The question is what kind of animal. And can I coexist with it comfortably?

we detected a horrible smell coming from a blackberry patch on my neighbors property
we think one of the raccoons we shot at crawled in there and died
but I'm not going to hack into Himalayan Blackberries just to find a dead raccoon
no visitors for days now

Got these two last week, after they got a few chickens.

A6DE602D-61BA-48D8-8BDF-3C723E85470A.jpeg 8A1DA5DE-5BE4-4168-BC06-74D498172B3E.jpeg C4A8066A-C7FF-49F9-A6F0-5BAE0403641E.jpeg

Upcoming Events

Teen Rifle 1 Class
Springfield, OR
Kids Firearm Safety 2 Class
Springfield, OR
Arms Collectors of Southwest Washington (ACSWW) gun show
Battle Ground, WA

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top