JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
A realistic, workable plan to reduce violence in America
By Dr. Keith Ablow, Dan Winslow
Published April 15, 2013
FoxNews.com

Like all Americans, we have been shocked and saddened in recent years by repeated mass shootings and the loss of innocent lives. Our collective national outrage has been translated by state legislators and members of Congress into calls for more gun control. Advocates of gun control forget that there are many methods by which disturbed people can inflict senseless violence. The worst mass death in a school in the United States killed 38 children with homemade explosives. The recent mass stabbing of 14 college students in Texas is instructive. The underlying problem common to all the recent mass shootings has been untreated or under-treated mental illness. A seriously mentally ill person in the United States is three times more likely to be incarcerated than hospitalized.

We, a former judge and a forensic psychiatrist, prefer to solve the underlying problem rather than point fingers at guns. It is time that we work together to develop a plan to address the real issue of violence in our nation. We propose to fix our broken, failing mental health care system—and, largely, by re-tasking existing resources to more effective ends...

Rest of the article on the link below:

A realistic, workable plan to reduce violence in America | Fox News

Great article, but hard for me to read this way.
I hear you. I improved it a little bit.

If we committed people as needed, might not that deplete members in Congress to a point new elections would be required and with so many left wing voters also gone the new Congress would be unrecognizable. Oh well, I can dream.
Butch
:) We are tempted to label progressive lefties as lunatics. If they were, they might be easier to deal with. Problem is, they are not, at least, not all of them. They are deceived.

This is what I've been advocating for years. As a former mental health worker, I can tell you that the author's assessment of the current situation is perfect and absolutely true. The system I worked under was very similar to what he's proposing. It will work, and there are enough safeguards and requirements to protect people who shouldn't be caught up in the system. This is what we all should be expending our efforts on, instead of on fighting over gun control.

This is what I've been advocating for years. As a former mental health worker, I can tell you that the author's assessment of the current situation is perfect and absolutely true. The system I worked under was very similar to what he's proposing. It will work, and there are enough safeguards and requirements to protect people who shouldn't be caught up in the system. This is what we all should be expending our efforts on, instead of on fighting over gun control.

You mental health folks defintely get my respect. I couldn't do what you do.

I like the plan presented in the article. Safeguard the public while protecting a patient's rights at the same time. The only thing that bugs me is sometimes mentally ill folks decide to quit taking their meds or showing up for appointments.

The only thing that bugs me is sometimes mentally ill folks decide to quit taking their meds or showing up for appointments.

That's why this plan has options for involuntary institutionalization, but with massive safeguards against abuse. In an institutional setting meds can be monitored effectively.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show
Centralia, WA
Klamath Falls gun show
Klamath Falls, OR
Oregon Arms Collectors April 2024 Gun Show
Portland, OR
Albany Gun Show
Albany, OR

New Resource Reviews

New Classified Ads

Back Top