Quantcast
  1. Sign up now and join over 35,000 northwest gun owners. It's quick, easy, and 100% free!

DA/SA (S&W, SIG, etc) vs. Striker-Fired (Glock, XD, etc)

Discussion in 'General Firearm Discussion' started by Misterbill, Apr 27, 2013.

1. Misterbill

Misterbill Yakima County, Washington New Member

OK, I've been having a debate.

What's a better gun for self defense and why?

DA/SA guns are rock-solid reliable and put a few more pounds of trigger pressure into the first shot.

SF guns are rock-solid reliable and have a consistent smaller amount of pressure on EVERY shot.

Which is best and why? I know there are some hard-core supporters of both on this forum. WHY, is one better than the other? (Let's assume for the sake of argument that all are reliable. No point getting into SIG vs. Glock here)

2. PDXoriginal

PDXoriginal PNW Well-Known Member

Neither is better than the other, it all depends on the person and what they want.

Considering not all striker-fired pistols are alike. You can't generally say one mechanism is better than the other.

3. Lange22250

Lange22250 Milwaukie Active Member

Until you put a LOT of time into learning to deal with the DA to SA transition you will have either a very slow first shot or a very poor hit or miss with your first shot.

DA/SA pistols appeal to people who issue firearms to people who generally have a base level of training and little interest in individual firearms practice, like cops, and are concerned with the liability of ND's.

I have never seen someone get a decent introduction to the two different actions and decide that they liked the DA/SA better.

If you want a good trigger go with a good SA pistol in the first place.

4. Oklahomie

Oklahomie Marysville Active Member

Oh no you just didn't start one of these threads... I prefer a Glock or M&P type trigger myself but damn do sigs have a buttery smooth first pull.

5. Rotty

Rotty Skagit County Active Member

I have both. They fire equally well. They handle equally well. I think the better question is "What do you prefer".

6. DieselScout

DieselScout S Clackamas County Well-Known Member

Which ever one you are more familiar with, more comfortable running and spend the most time trading with and shooting.

daoism and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Hawaiian

Hawaiian Tigard Oregon Well-Known Member

But then some DA/SA guns can be carried cocked and locked which removes the long DA trigger pull.

8. Solomon

Solomon Vancouver Active Member

Both work for me, assuming neither have a manual safety.

9. RBid

RBid Wilsonville, OR Well-Known Member

I prefer striker fired, because

10. JAFO

JAFO OR, USA Silver Supporter Silver Supporter

I like my DA/SA striker fired pistol most out of my current 9mm lineup. I usually cock it before the first shot but it's ready to go either way.

The best pistol for defense is the one you have. Training and practice is always good.

Rotty and (deleted member) like this.
  11. PuddleMonkey

PuddleMonkey Vancouver, WA Well-Known Member

titso, your theory doesn't take quality of parts into account. plus everyone knows striker fired guns are for sissies.

for what it's worth (not much), my Sig P229, Sig P226, Sig P220, Sig SP2022, Beretta 96FS, Beretta 92M9A1 and HK P30L have never had a single problem. My Springfield 5.25 Competition 45acp which I've shot maybe a hundred times had a light primer strike and failed to fire a couple weeks ago.

ripcity and (deleted member) like this.
  12. nautox

nautox Kirkland, WA Member

I don't think there's a right, wrong or best.
    For some people, a pistol with DA/SA hammer is desired because it visually lets them know what state the firearm is in. (The first 4 I bought)
    Some are comfortable with cocked and locked 1911 type, others aren't there yet. (I'm getting there)
    And still others prefer a striker fired weapon and lets face it, there's not much that can go wrong when the bang lever is pulled (I'm about to buy my first one)
    Point is it's all about what its being used for and who it's being used by.
    Personally, I need 3 different weapons to fill 3 different roles: Lightweight polymer to carry, Metal frame for the range, and a home defense that the girlfriend is comfortable with using as well. I'm sure one day, these roles will be filled by 2 or maybe even 1 weapon eventually, but I'm not there yet.
    Hope this is helps in some way.

13. Ironbar

Ironbar Tigard, OR Well-Known Member

Agreed. I use a Smith & Wesson M&P, but would never go around touting that as the best option weapon for anyone. It was the best weapon for ME.

Go to the Clackamas Public Safety Training center, rent some of their pistols. Fire them, and find what sort of mechanism is best for you.

Oklahomie and (deleted member) like this.
  14. nick1980

nick1980 Portland, OR Active Member

just like asking what is better?
    fords or chevy
    apples or oranges

All opinion

15. ronin223

ronin223 Portland Active Member

Strikers tend to have a lower bore axis which I like

Strikers USE to have poor triggers compared to a DA/SA or SA pistols. Walther PPQ is pretty good for a striker pistol. there are aftermarket triggers for Glocks and M&P which make the triggers as good as a DA/SA

16. ZA_Survivalist

ZA_Survivalist Oregon AK's all day.

If you compete SF = fast follow up. For home and anywhere else I like DA/SA-DC models.
    Own both. Best of both worlds.

17. 44s rock

44s rock Belfair New Member

The one you are the most comfortable with and shoot the best!

18. SG85

SG85 503 Member

I like all pistols. Next question.

But on a more serious note both have their strengths. I like Glocks for their simple operation and weight. I love my Sigs for accuracy and the DA/SA for carry. It's is something to train with but once understood well is more comfortable for me to carry with a round chambered.

Ford or Chevy, Ferrari or Lamborghini?

19. dallen1x

dallen1x Wil_Val, OR Active Member

A 1911 compact or sub-compact that uses the DA/SA w/decocker. (I like my 1911 but just came to also like the S&W 4566. Need to find a pistol that melds both together.) Don't like the striker-fire setup.
    Ford
    Apple juice
    300 Win Mag
    Scrambled eggs w/hash browns
    Blue
    Yukon Jack
    Pepsi
    The # 23
    .....any other questions? :rolleyes:

20. SG85

SG85 503 Member

Yukon Jack!? Makers please.