JavaScript is disabled
Our website requires JavaScript to function properly. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser settings before proceeding.
Reactions
OK, I've been having a debate.

What's a better gun for self defense and why?

DA/SA guns are rock-solid reliable and put a few more pounds of trigger pressure into the first shot.

SF guns are rock-solid reliable and have a consistent smaller amount of pressure on EVERY shot.

Which is best and why? I know there are some hard-core supporters of both on this forum. WHY, is one better than the other? (Let's assume for the sake of argument that all are reliable. No point getting into SIG vs. Glock here)

Neither is better than the other, it all depends on the person and what they want.

Considering not all striker-fired pistols are alike. You can't generally say one mechanism is better than the other.

Neither is better than the other, it all depends on the person and what they want.

Considering not all striker-fired pistols are alike. You can't generally say one mechanism is better than the other.

Until you put a LOT of time into learning to deal with the DA to SA transition you will have either a very slow first shot or a very poor hit or miss with your first shot.

DA/SA pistols appeal to people who issue firearms to people who generally have a base level of training and little interest in individual firearms practice, like cops, and are concerned with the liability of ND's.

I have never seen someone get a decent introduction to the two different actions and decide that they liked the DA/SA better.

If you want a good trigger go with a good SA pistol in the first place.

I like my DA/SA striker fired pistol most out of my current 9mm lineup. I usually cock it before the first shot but it's ready to go either way.

The best pistol for defense is the one you have. Training and practice is always good.

Striker fired pistols are typically more simple in design and have fewer parts. Fewer parts = fewer parts to break.

titso, your theory doesn't take quality of parts into account. plus everyone knows striker fired guns are for sissies.

for what it's worth (not much), my Sig P229, Sig P226, Sig P220, Sig SP2022, Beretta 96FS, Beretta 92M9A1 and HK P30L have never had a single problem. My Springfield 5.25 Competition 45acp which I've shot maybe a hundred times had a light primer strike and failed to fire a couple weeks ago.

I don't think there's a right, wrong or best.
For some people, a pistol with DA/SA hammer is desired because it visually lets them know what state the firearm is in. (The first 4 I bought)
Some are comfortable with cocked and locked 1911 type, others aren't there yet. (I'm getting there)
And still others prefer a striker fired weapon and lets face it, there's not much that can go wrong when the bang lever is pulled (I'm about to buy my first one)
Point is it's all about what its being used for and who it's being used by.
Personally, I need 3 different weapons to fill 3 different roles: Lightweight polymer to carry, Metal frame for the range, and a home defense that the girlfriend is comfortable with using as well. I'm sure one day, these roles will be filled by 2 or maybe even 1 weapon eventually, but I'm not there yet.
Hope this is helps in some way.

Agreed. I use a Smith & Wesson M&P, but would never go around touting that as the best option weapon for anyone. It was the best weapon for ME.

Go to the Clackamas Public Safety Training center, rent some of their pistols. Fire them, and find what sort of mechanism is best for you.

Strikers tend to have a lower bore axis which I like

Strikers USE to have poor triggers compared to a DA/SA or SA pistols. Walther PPQ is pretty good for a striker pistol. there are aftermarket triggers for Glocks and M&P which make the triggers as good as a DA/SA

I like all pistols. Next question.

But on a more serious note both have their strengths. I like Glocks for their simple operation and weight. I love my Sigs for accuracy and the DA/SA for carry. It's is something to train with but once understood well is more comfortable for me to carry with a round chambered.

Ford or Chevy, Ferrari or Lamborghini?

A 1911 compact or sub-compact that uses the DA/SA w/decocker. (I like my 1911 but just came to also like the S&W 4566. Need to find a pistol that melds both together.) Don't like the striker-fire setup.
Ford
Apple juice
300 Win Mag
Scrambled eggs w/hash browns
Blue
Yukon Jack
Pepsi
The # 23
.....any other questions? :rolleyes:

A 1911 compact or sub-compact that uses the DA/SA w/decocker. (I like my 1911 but just came to also like the S&W 4566. Need to find a pistol that melds both together.) Don't like the striker-fire setup.
Ford
Apple juice
300 Win Mag
Scrambled eggs w/hash browns
Blue
Yukon Jack
Pepsi
The # 23
.....any other questions? :rolleyes:

Yukon Jack!? Makers please.

Upcoming Events

Centralia Gun Show